NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

It's pretty clear Howe prefers players with British football experience.

His Bournemouth side was very British. This side is very British.

Also his style of play requires athleticism, aggression and work rate more than the average manager. So again it suits a player already adapted to the PL.

11 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The majority of the 5 were when Nickson was largely pulling the strings, there has been a change in the transfer committee with Ashworth and Andy Howe since then.

No wind up and not dying on any hill it’s an opinion, fine to disagree but don’t get so excited.

Making stuff up again. :thup:

That first paragraph is nothing but guesswork. In fact, guesswork is doing it some favours.

I can only assume you have an agenda, its the only reason why someone would make something up to suit a certain narrative.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Also his style of play requires athleticism, aggression and work rate more than the average manager. So again it suits a player already adapted to the PL.

We don't know if he does or doesn't, what I do know is that we can't use Bournemouth as any sort of evidence, it's like apples and oranges compared to NUFC.

I wonder if Klopp had a preference for German players when manager of Mainz? :lol:

If I were to take a guess, I'd say Howe likes the idea of KNOWING what he's getting from an incoming player, rather than taking a punt but then I'd wager most managers are the same. Of course being domestic base gives that extra security in that regard.

Edited by STM

Just now, STM said:

We don't know if he does or doesn't, what I do know is that we can't use Bournemouth as any sort of evidence, it's like apples and oranges compared to NUFC.

I wonder of Klopp had a preference for German players when manager of Mainz? :lol:

If I were to take a guess, I'd say Howe likes the idea of KNOWING what he's getting from an incoming player, rather than taking a punt but then I'd wager most managers are the same. Of course being domestic base gives that extra security in that regard.

We can't use the club he was at for 8 years to provide an indication of the type of player he likes? For the 3/4 years they were in the PL it has zero indication of what he likes?

Ok mate.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

We can't use the club he was at for 8 years to provide an indication of the type of player he likes? For the 3/4 years they were in the PL it has zero indication of what he likes?

Ok mate.

Jeez, straight into the patronising stuff.

What I'm saying is that Howe being in the lower divisions and with a restricted budget is going to have influenced where he signed players from...

Mate.

I feel like Howe gets beaten with the 'British' stick more than he should. I think he places a premium on league experience. As most managers tend to. I think if he went to manage a side in Spain or Italy he would want a strong core of players with experience in those leagues as well. 

There will always be tension between managers who want instant impact as no manager is ever further than 10 games from the sack and a DoF/committee who are working on a 5 year horizon. It’s fine, it’s a necessary tension.

I would expect Howe to want proven experience so I’d bet he was all for Isak and Tonali, as well as v keen on Barnes, and probably a lot less keen on a 20 year old with one season in Ligue 1. Doubt it’s a nationality thing at all - just practical as shopping for PL experience means more British players.

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I suggest you read my replies to you, as it’s 2 transfer windows not 1.

The first 2 windows the balance was correct and I’ll give you the 5 out of 12 even though that includes Trippier who had PL experience.

The last 2 windows are very much linked though as they stated they brought the Gordon purchase forward from the summer.

As for data sample 2 windows is small, but in my opinion there has been a shift towards PL experience at premium prices, which in light of our FFP situation I now question the rationale behind what we’ve done. Could we have got better value abroad, yes in my opinion and do local journalists who have briefed that PL experience is a major factor know more than most on here, yes I would say they do.

Should we now go out and sign Kone this window I’ll reconsider my hunch, but if we go and commit 50 million plus for the Everton midfielder in the summer based on he has PL experience, I’ll still be very much of the opinion that Howe has again prioritised PL experience over value.

Tbf Howe might like Onana because of the type of player he is rather than it being anything to do with PL experience. He's very physical, he's big and fast, and I imagine he'd be ideal for a team that wants to press relentlessly.

18 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Which one? The one that just avoided oblivion from the leagues? 

The League 2 one? 

League 1 one? 

Championship one? 

As usual I can't be arsed to research my own opinions but I'd wager most of his Bournemouth tenure wasn't that attractive a proposition for Ronaldo etc. 

Does it matter if Howe wan't Premier League based players or not like? Given his record, its clearly worked? So, like, who cares? :lol: 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Tbf Howe might like Onana because of the type of player he is rather than it being anything to do with PL experience. He's very physical, he's big and fast, and I imagine he'd be ideal for a team that wants to press relentlessly.

Nah he hates foriegners man. That's why he bought a campervan. 

13 minutes ago, STM said:

Jeez, straight into the patronising stuff.

What I'm saying is that Howe being in the lower divisions and with a restricted budget is going to have influenced where he signed players from...

Mate.

Yes we can ignore most of the EFL signings. But his 2nd and 3rd seasons in the PL can tell us a bit about his thought patterns. Likewise we can use the signings and strong transfer ruours he's had at Newcastle to understand the type of player he likes.

The physical and direct profile he seems to like... benefits from experience of British football. I don't think he's xenophobic or anything and would turn down great talent from abroad - but he knows the profile he likes and it favours PL experience. I think he wanted Szob, he wanted Maddison, he wanted Harrison. Different types there but he does like some British footballing experience more than other managers.

Edited by The College Dropout

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I feel like Howe gets beaten with the 'British' stick more than he should. I think he places a premium on league experience. As most managers tend to. I think if he went to manage a side in Spain or Italy he would want a strong core of players with experience in those leagues as well. 

Why is it a stick?

I think Onana is more attractive to him because he's PL-proven. That's fair. I think Howe would fancy him a little less straight from France. The same is probably true of Kalvin Phillips.

If the transfer committee believe the Atalanta lad is better and better value for money - I'm sure we'll sign him instead. He also has that physical, ball-carrying profile Howe likes.

14 minutes ago, 54 said:

Does it matter if Howe wan't Premier League based players or not like? Given his record, its clearly worked? So, like, who cares? :lol: 

The football we've played last season and early doors this season before the squad got decimated was some of the best football I've witnessed as a Newcastle fan. If Howe can produce that using players with PL experience more power to him.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Why is it a stick?

Think it's pretty clear that there are some in here (not necessarily yourself) who like to portray Howe as someone who turns his nose up at foreign signings, and had nothing to do with the Bruno, Botman, Isak deals. 

Can't wait for this window to be over, this place is super touchy at the moment. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Think it's pretty clear that there are some in here (not necessarily yourself) who like to portray Howe as someone who turns his nose up at foreign signings, and had nothing to do with the Bruno, Botman, Isak deals. 

Can't wait for this window to be over, this place is super touchy at the moment. 

2 of those fit his profile very well and the other is also our best player. He clearly doesn't reject class players out of hand, they just need to fit his style.

His style does lean towards British footballing experience.

Long-term I do think he'll need to prioritise a more technical profile of player more commonly found on the continent. But you never know.

25 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I see it as more of a safe space, getting someone in you know you can communicate your ideas to clearly and swiftly.

The issue is, British managers with the exception of Alex Ferguson have won fuck all. They put too much faith in what they see as familiar.

Howe bought plenty of British players at Bournemouth and got them relegated. He’s having a difficult time this season and the names of players linked are mostly English.

I don’t think Howe should be identifying targets, he should be approving from a list that Nickson/Ashworth provides.

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I always thought the British thing was just as much club led with an aim of having a bunch of England first teamers in a few years time - Gordon, Livramento  etc. 

Nah, they’re just class players with massive resale potential.

Well perhaps not Tino as we paid big for him, unless he becomes a Bale and adds goals to his game. (It’s a possibility)

Don’t think selling these any time soon is on the agenda in any case. Certain young players will be the bedrock of the side going forward (Botman, Isak, Gordon, Tino, Tonali)

Anyway getting back to the transfer business, I don't think we'll see anyone coming in as things stand as I don't think we are selling any of our major stars and we'll probably be hoping that we get enough bodies back in play to still finish in a Europa place.

37 minutes ago, 54 said:

We've had a good combination of foreign and domestic players coming in since the takeover and it's worked great (up until the last 2-3 months for obvious reasons) so I find it hard to discuss seriously when people suggests Howe only wants crusty EDL voters in his line-up.

I think the mix of both is a key component to why we have done as well as we have. We wouldn't have gotten players of the quality of Botman, Bruno or Isak if we had limited ourselves to domestic players. At the same time, having a core of players who are familiar with the requirements of playing at this level obviously helps us on the field in the short term, but also helps players coming from other leagues get up to speed faster.

On the other end of the spectrum I've seen some people saying we shouldn't sell X English player, or we should sign English players due to PL/European competition registration requirements. To them I'd like to say that our squad has a lot of leeway in that regard and it shouldn't be a concern at all.

Just now, Menace said:

I'm on board with moving him on - but who will play in his position? Unless we fancy Gordon RW and Barnes LW I guess

I’d have thought we would sign a replacement. If it’s trips and Miggy out, I’d assume Tino to RB and a CM and RW coming in