NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

A ‘double-pivot’ would imply playing deeper than playing as a conventional midfielder - particularly in a 4-2-3-1 rather than an attacking 4-3-3

Well obviously, yeah. But Tonali has played there plenty and it would give more chance for Bruno to get forward than he currently does as a 6. 

Like I said though. I can’t see us shifting to that formation. So it’s all a bit moot. 

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Well obviously, yeah. But Tonali has played there plenty and it would give more chance for Bruno to get forward than he currently does as a 6. 

Like I said though. I can’t see us shifting to that formation. So it’s all a bit moot. 

I can’t either tbf (from my own perspective I’ve never liked 4-2-3-1 as a formation, either - but that’s entirely personal preference)

1 hour ago, vexred said:

There isn't anything to say he would. He's a good playmaker and can play on the right, the type of player we need. If Chelsea are forced to sell players in the summer I'd love for us to try and sign him. 

I think Palmer is already as good as Madison and he hasn’t hit his ceiling yet, whereas you could argue Madison is as good as he’s going to get. Palmer is also a fair bit younger and more versatile. To get a player of his quality for just £40m was always going to be great business. I doubt he’ll be on £75k per week for long.

Edited by Holmesy

Guest reefatoon
3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I’m just glad Eddie doesn’t see it the same way. :lol: 

More important would be a creative CM in a #10 ilk to feed Isak and the wide forwards and chip in with 8-10 goals. 

Totally agree. It’s so reactionary. There’s a gap let’s stick a player in it and all will be fine [emoji38]

Not seeming to realise how that would completely change the dynamic of the midfield going the other way and moving Bruno out of the central role.

4 hours ago, Beth said:

28 in the summer and about to enter the last year of his contract, no chance. We'd get about what we paid for him (and who would have thought that two years ago!)

There’s only about 15 clubs excl. Saudi that could pay what you’d be looking for him (As close to a recoup of fee as possible). Was saying the other day to a mate I don’t there’s a market to sell him in the summer realistically so he either gets a deal or goes on a free year after. 

4 hours ago, andycap said:

I'd be looking for atleast 70 million for big jo like. There's not many like him about his power pace aggression physicality and even his eye for goal. Plus his commitment to the team billing can't replace that. 

IMG_7547.jpeg.23d8793eb76770fd30667c6b9c4ca494.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Disco said:

There’s only about 15 clubs excl. Saudi that could pay what you’d be looking for him (As close to a recoup of fee as possible). Was saying the other day to a mate I don’t there’s a market to sell him in the summer realistically so he either gets a deal or goes on a free year after. 

Hey, at least i didn't value him at £70m[emoji38]

People said Chris Wood was worth less than fuck all but we got £17m for him. Joelinton is easily worth more than we paid for him, he’s an absolute phenom. His numbers last year were ‘elite’ in a team that smashed the premier league all over. Really hope we keep him. 

Don't get me started on Palmer.....

13 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Instead of who? Quite hard to legislate for Barnes being injured for 4 months with a dodgy toe and Tonali loving a gary gamble. 

Would have seemed quite a risk based on the fee and the wages at the time. Easy to say now in hindsight. 

Much like Maddison. Even if we could pay the money. Who’s to say he would choose to come here over Chelsea? 

Ok i've started.

Instead of Barnes. We have Barnes & Gordon who prefer to play on the left. Both top 8 quality at worst with Joelinton also an excellent option. Isak too if needed. Then we have Almiron & Murphy for the right. Both well short of the level.

With Gordon & Joe for the left wish Willoc/Isak as back-up and Palmer, Miggy on the right with Murphy as back-up, it's a much better balance.

Likewise, Palmer is a passer and a creator, brilliant in tight spaces. We don't have anyone like that in our attack. He's exactly what we needed. Barnes is not similar to Gordon. Our best team has 1 of our best 2 wingers playing out of position and I'm not even sure that's what Howe considers our best team. 1 might need to sit on the bench.

Truthfully, I don't think Howe wants that style of player. The wingers we get linked too are runners. Howe seems to prefer having the same profile as depth rather than something different.

30 minutes ago, Stal said:

If Joelinton was a man u player, what do you think they'd want for him in transfer fees? IIRC they rated the Scottish footballer at £50 million.

He's not a Man U player though. That fact is important.

I would be surprised if a non-Saudi team offered more than what we paid for big Joe.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

He's not a Man U player though. That fact is important.

I would be surprised if a non-Saudi team offered more than what we paid for big Joe.

Is he not? Well blow me over with a wafted dishcloth, I didn't realise. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

2 minutes ago, Stal said:

Is he not? Well blow me over with a wafted dishcloth, I didn't realise. Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

The point is Man U players (when they are not on astronomical wages) tend to sell for a premium. Our players do not. So saying they wanted £50m for Scott Mc doesn't mean anything because (1) nobody paid it anyway and (2) Man U can genuinely command higher fees than we can. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

The point is Man U players (when they are not on astronomical wages) tend to sell for a premium. Our players do not. So saying they wanted £50m for Scott Mc doesn't mean anything because (1) nobody paid it anyway and (2) Man U can genuinely command higher fees than we can. 

Indeed, that's why I was wondering what folks thought his valuation would be. Just curiosity more than anything, regardless of whether anyone paid it. Not trying to be funny or awkward, I am getting my love for football back after the dark years and I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my knowledge by asking the more well informed folks (like yourself) a hypothetical. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What Man Utd players have sold for a premium?

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

elanga went for £15m didn't he? Garner around £10m, pereira around £10m, Henderson £15m ish.

No premiums there imo.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Almost 40m euros combined for Elanga & Henderson. They probably could've got £25-30m for McTom. 10m a piece for Garner & Pereira.

And best of all.. a full 30m euros for Dan James.

is £30m for Elanga and Henderson a premium? is £20m for Garner & Pereira?

Dan James i'll give you, but he's an outlier in recent years. They're certainly not 'premium sellers' recently.

Premium buyers, definitley.

4 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

elanga went for £15m didn't he? Garner around £10m, pereira around £10m, Henderson £15m ish.

No premiums there imo.

Elanga had scored 4 professional club goals prior to joining Forest. He is a Swedish international but overall - there wasn't a lot of pedigree there to demand £15m. If he played for us he wouldn't demand such a fee I'm certain.

Likewise Garner was a Championship player.

How much would we get for Anderson?

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Elanga had scored 4 professional club goals prior to joining Forest. He is a Swedish international but overall - there wasn't a lot of pedigree there to demand £15m. If he played for us he wouldn't demand such a fee I'm certain.

Likewise Garner was a Championship player.

How much would we get for Anderson?

We would easily get at least 10 million for Anderson imo, and I’m not his biggest fan.

Id say none of the ones you mentioned would class as a premium fee other than Dan James. Maybe we just have different definitions of what premium is.

1 minute ago, lovejoy said:

is £30m for Elanga and Henderson a premium? is £20m for Garner & Pereira?

Dan James i'll give you, but he's an outlier in recent years. They're certainly not 'premium sellers' recently.

Premium buyers, definitley.

I think the Henderson deal wasn't a premium. And Pereira too. I think he had a decent season in La Liga at some point.

But the rest? If they were Everton graduates or signings would they get such a fee?

The big clubs traditionally get good fees for their academy products. Playing for a top club is like being an international. it boosts a players profile and reputation.

I think in time the Elanga fee could look like a steal. But I don't think he had done much other than play for Man U, have a bit of pace and work ethic to demand such a fee.