NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

19 minutes ago, Beth said:

Why do some on here keep saying we need to sign another LB?

In Targett and Hall we have/are about to pay the thick end of £50m for them. Not to mention Burn, Tino and Trippier can all play there as well.

It would be a total waste of our limited transfer budget to allocate any of it to a LB.

Who are you starting LB next season?

23 minutes ago, Beth said:

In Targett and Hall we have/are about to pay the thick end of £50m for them. Not to mention Burn, Tino and Trippier can all play there as well.

It would be a total waste of our limited transfer budget to allocate any of it to a LB.

We're going to end this season with Schar and Burn the only fit centre-backs (if we're lucky :lol:) so can rule out Burn from the LB group next season. 

Numbers wise, Trippier, Krafth, Tino, Targett and Hall should be fine to cover the two full-back roles but I think quality wise we'd be lacking a little bit at left-back unless Targett regained his loan spell form.

Could see Targett being shifted and an upgrade being brought in. That's what I'd be looking to do anyway.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

Who are you starting LB next season?

If they were all fit, I'd go Tino then Burn, assuming of course Trippier is fit. I think Targett is a write off.

28 minutes ago, Beth said:

Because it's a position (along with right wing) where we have the least quality

Just because we have a high amount of players who can potentially play there doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to upgrade

24 minutes ago, Beth said:

Targett seems to be crocked. Who knows when he'll be fit and even when he is he's average.

Burn is unequivocally better at CB, should only be LB in an emergency.

Hall is 18, he's not ready to be first choice.

Tino and Trippier are our RBs, they shouldn't be being considered to play any amount of games at LB. 

We need a LB and the club know it, it's why they're so keen on Lloyd Kelly.

I don't think Lloyd Kelly is going to be much of an upgrade as a starting left back, I think if we buy him he'll be used as a squad option for both centre and left back

Just now, The Butcher said:

Who would spend money on Targett after the season he's had? Can't see owt but a loan with an option. His reported wages could also be a problem.

Could see a promoted club taking a look. Southampton going up would be very handy.

Targett for around 5m would be a bargain for someone, even with his inflated wages. He's an absolutely proven PL left back.

It's also the sort of money that would free up FFP space for a permanent replacement.... provided we could find someone of course.

I'd be looking at loaning Hall out. If anyone needs a years football under their belt, it's Hall... put a recall clause in there in case we are low on numbers.

As of today, if we had a fully fit squad, Tino would be LB and Trippier RB in my mind. We've also got Krafth as RB.

One thing is for certain, if a good LB is available, we have to move for them, it's a problem position for us.

57 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Because it's a position (along with right wing) where we have the least quality

Just because we have a high amount of players who can potentially play there doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to upgrade

Yes but given we will have limited funds to spend, I just can't see us allocating any of them to a LB after we spent £30m on Hall.

9 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agreed, he’s nowhere near a Bruno type of player.

I mean, clearly wrong.

None of us expected the Lyon Bruno to transform into the Newcastle Bruno. Gallagher wouldn’t have the flair or silky ball skills (from what I’ve seen) but he has a better physicality. Mentality, no idea.

Bruno is obviously better. But let’s not make out they have a completely different profile as a player. That’s nonsensical.

Xavi was a better player than Bruno. Same/similar roles in their respective teams though.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I mean, clearly wrong.

None of us expected the Lyon Bruno to transform into the Newcastle Bruno. Gallagher wouldn’t have the flair or silky ball skills (from what I’ve seen) but he has a better physicality. Mentality, no idea.

Bruno is obviously better. But let’s not make out they have a completely different profile as a player. That’s nonsensical.

Xavi was a better player than Bruno. Same/similar roles in their respective teams though.

How are they similar players then? From what I’ve seen, they see completely different types of midfielder.

Edited by SUPERTOON

The only similarities between Bruno and Gallagher is that Bruno could play number 8 where Gallagher does and he'd still be twice the player.

Gallagher couldn't play where Bruno does or at least anywhere near the standard required.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Hall is 18, he's not ready to be first choice.

But we are still spending 20m+ on him the next transfer window. Unless we are selling someone like Targett I dont think we are going to get any first choice LB.

Edited by nufc123

Bruno is my favourite player. I think he’s awesome.

Gallagher seems a bit weirdly underrated on here. I think he’s better than a lot,of,you are giving him credit for.

Fwiw, for my own tastes I’d rather we were looking at players with excellent ball skills and vision over monstrous athleticism but it doesn’t look like the direction we’re going in atm.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Bruno is my favourite player. I think he’s awesome.

Gallagher seems a bit weirdly underrated on here. I think he’s better than a lot,of,you are giving him credit for.

Fwiw, for my own tastes I’d rather we were looking at players with excellent ball skills and vision over monstrous athleticism but it doesn’t look like the direction we’re going in atm.

Gallagher has to be looked at through the £50m price tag and FFP lense.

Just now, Skeletor said:

Gallagher has to be looked at through the £50m price tag and FFP lense.

Yep, and for that I’d run a mile. Madness to think he couldn’t improve us though. 

One of the main things I’ve always had against Gallagher is he’s currently playing and captaining his home club. The one and only thing he’s wanted to do in his footballing career if you follow his story. If he moved to us I’d automatically feel we’d be getting a lesser player. The fact that some of the qualities you’d lose are actually the ones making him currently stand out at all to me spells danger.

Think of it this way. Does Longstaff play at any other club as well as he has at ours? Look at the effect it’s had on Burn going the opposite direction.

Just a player that for me you just leave happily playing for Chelsea. Certainly not one you even think of blowing half your expected budget on.

imo one of the most fucked up things of ffp is it incentivising sellling home grown players. As annoying as longstaff and dan burn can be at times still love they're playing for the club they actually love. Gallagher being sold off just for financial wiggle room despite him being good enough for them? Not much romance there...

15 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

imo one of the most fucked up things of ffp is it incentivising sellling home grown players. As annoying as longstaff and dan burn can be at times still love they're playing for the club they actually love. Gallagher being sold off just for financial wiggle room despite him being good enough for them? Not much romance there...

Aye, as much as I find Gallagher an uninspiring player. He’s been their most committed player this season and has been second to Palmer in terms of how important he’s been for them, a distant second. I think Malo Gusto has been next in line in terms of importance. I don’t want Gallagher but Chelsea will lose a lot with him going as he’s one of the few players who cares 

2 hours ago, nufc123 said:

But we are still spending 20m+ on him the next transfer window. Unless we are selling someone like Targett I dont think we are going to get any first choice LB.

Good point. We purposefully (named in 30 first team squads) triggered the permanent Hall deal for £28m amid FFP pressure. I think Howe's thinking on Hall and Targett (who has been injured a lot the last two seasons) is a lot different than the consensus on here. Tosin Adarabioyo could cover both cb positions on a free.  

2 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Good point. We purposefully (named in 30 first team squads) triggered the permanent Hall deal for £28m amid FFP pressure. I think Howe's thinking on Hall and Targett (who has been injured a lot the last two seasons) is a lot different than the consensus on here. Tosin Adarabioyo could cover both cb positions on a free.  

We triggered it by finishing 14th or higher this season, it wasn’t appearance based