NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, janpawel said:

Diomande links today, probably a load of shite 

Would love him, though can't help but think a club at the very top would likely be after him

80 million price tag will rule us out regardless.

Personally I’m not saying that we should cheap out on CB’s, but I do feel that it’s an area where we can find very good players for cheaper than some other areas, especially attacking players. The collective is more important than the individuals really. You can find very good players for much less that still offer close to the quality of what the most sought after does. The reputation alone often adds another 20-30m alone. In an ideal world if the ffp wasn’t so strict it would be a different matter. In the future we will and can add the odd super expensive diamond here and there in the windows. For now I think we’re better off going for the category below and use that money for other areas. Quality costs obviously but sometimes, like at this very moment it’s not worth spending say 60m on a CB imo. Rather find a 30-40m CB and a freebie like Tosin. And I’m pretty certain that we won’t be spending 60m+ on a CB. 

Edited by Ikon

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Personally I’m not saying that we should cheap out on CB’s, but I do feel that it’s an area where we can find very good players for cheaper than some other areas, especially attacking players. The collective is more important than the individuals really. You can find very good players for much less that still offer close to the quality of what the most sought after does. The reputation alone often adds another 20-30m alone. In an ideal world if the ffp wasn’t so strict it would be a different matter. In the future we will and can add the odd super expensive diamond here and there in the windows. For now I think we’re better off going for the category below and use that money for other areas. Quality costs obviously but sometimes, like at this very moment it’s not worth spending say 60m on a CB imo. Rather find a 30-40m CB and a freebie like Tosin. And I’m pretty certain that we won’t be spending 60m+ on a CB. 

Yeah good point, can certainly think of more quality CB's than I can strikers, RW etc

Though I do wonder if we have someone in mind for each position who we apparently followed for a long time, like we did Gordon, Isak, Tino etc where we are prepared to go big to get them 

27 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Yeah good point, can certainly think of more quality CB's than I can strikers, RW etc

Though I do wonder if we have someone in mind for each position who we apparently followed for a long time, like we did Gordon, Isak, Tino etc where we are prepared to go big to get them 

Not entirely possible tbh. But I don’t think we’ll go crazy crazy expensive for it. I hope so at least. Rather get another high quality midfielder in, an attacking one. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a non athletic midget. But a technical one that can exploit ape space between say Bruno and Isak. One that is good at receiving the ball and just calm and composed in general. A closer option for Bruno to play progressive passes to without Isak having to come way too deep. A player like this would also force the opponents CB to commit forward at times leaving more space for Isak, Gordon, Barnes etc. Think it would help us once we regain position from deep too, having that option that offers some depth going forward in transitions. Especially if said player has decent ball carrying ability as well. I know we have many midfielders but I disagree about it, I think a technical high quality midfielder would do us wonders over a season. Allowing us to control games better as well as some more rotation without losing too much quality. Midfield is so so important as that’s where many games are won. Obviously we need to be good defensively as well as offensively but if a midfield is poor because injuries/suspensions it doesn’t really matter much if you have good attackers or good defenders individually. Personally I’d like a technical one like I’ve said, a midfielder that offers us something different, but not just in transitions, also some more composure overall, like possession. The more offensive midfielder could for example be a able to play in a three due to his athleticism and versatility. Out of the ones we’ve been linked with alone, I wouldn’t be against MGW for example. Very much because of his versatility. I’m sure he could play as a 10, RW, Midfield three for example. Would offer good balance with his attributes I reckon. 

If I had to choose between a pure RW and someone like MGW or similar then I think I would go for the latter. Preferably a high quality RW and attacking midfielder but we can’t do it all. I’m one of those who have been gagging about a RW too but I’ve changed my mind if It’s one or the other. (Aye we need CB’s, hopefully some smart signings there)

A lot of the above is blah blah and my general thoughts. Didn’t mean ti go so off topic from your post mate. 

Edited by Ikon

80m euros is 68 million pounds, which is more than what we paid for Isak, therefore I'd be highly surprised if we went to that figure.

However, that's the high end of what they want. We've showed that we are capable of paying 50m+ for players we rate. Nothing to say we wouldn't do it again.... in theory.

9 minutes ago, STM said:

80m euros is 68 million pounds, which is more than what we paid for Isak, therefore I'd be highly surprised if we went to that figure.

However, that's the high end of what they want. We've showed that we are capable of paying 50m+ for players we rate. Nothing to say we wouldn't do it again.... in theory.

I don't think we can though, we appear just about right at the FFP limit as it stands. I'm guessing if we can get £20-30m selling a few fringe players then we'd have a budget of £70-80m. We're not spunking the majority of that on one player.

11 minutes ago, Beth said:

I don't think we can though, we appear just about right at the FFP limit as it stands. I'm guessing if we can get £20-30m selling a few fringe players then we'd have a budget of £70-80m. We're not spunking the majority of that on one player.

Well you can speculate all you want on FFP but the reality is that alot of us simply don't know where we stand.

The club have talked about us being at our FFP limit since the day they walked through the door, in order to dampen expectations and of course to give them some bargaining power.

Of course, you can look at recent figures and take a good guess but does that take into account our new sponsorship/shirt deals?

As you say, we may sell players too. I can easily see a scenario where we sell Miggy, Wilson and Targett, we'd get somewhere around 30/40m for them 3 and although I have limited understanding of amortisation, that's not an insignificant number.

The one thing I'm certain of, is that the club will at least sign 2/3 quality players to improve the squad.

Edit: I'm also fairly convinced that we COULD have done one deal in January but decided against it, because it made more sense to wait until the summer and because we were limited in what we could do.

In short, I'm sure we can find 100m to improve the squad with 2/3 players.

Edited by STM

39 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not entirely possible tbh. But I don’t think we’ll go crazy crazy expensive for it. I hope so at least. Rather get another high quality midfielder in, an attacking one. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a non athletic midget. But a technical one that can exploit ape space between say Bruno and Isak. One that is good at receiving the ball and just calm and composed in general. A closer option for Bruno to play progressive passes to without Isak having to come way too deep. A player like this would also force the opponents CB to commit forward at times leaving more space for Isak, Gordon, Barnes etc. Think it would help us once we regain position from deep too, having that option that offers some depth going forward in transitions. Especially if said player has decent ball carrying ability as well. I know we have many midfielders but I disagree about it, I think a technical high quality midfielder would do us wonders over a season. Allowing us to control games better as well as some more rotation without losing too much quality. Midfield is so so important as that’s where many games are won. Obviously we need to be good defensively as well as offensively but if a midfield is poor because injuries/suspensions it doesn’t really matter much if you have good attackers or good defenders individually. Personally I’d like a technical one like I’ve said, a midfielder that offers us something different, but not just in transitions, also some more composure overall, like possession. The more offensive midfielder could for example be a able to play in a three due to his athleticism and versatility. Out of the ones we’ve been linked with alone, I wouldn’t be against MGW for example. Very much because of his versatility. I’m sure he could play as a 10, RW, Midfield three for example. Would offer good balance with his attributes I reckon. 

If I had to choose between a pure RW and someone like MGW or similar then I think I would go for the latter. Preferably a high quality RW and attacking midfielder but we can’t do it all. I’m one of those who have been gagging about a RW too but I’ve changed my mind if It’s one or the other. (Aye we need CB’s, hopefully some smart signings there)

A lot of the above is blah blah and my general thoughts. Didn’t mean ti go so off topic from your post mate. 

re: someone to link up Bruno and Isak. I have been thinking about this all season and I think our approach may be to make Bruno that player and find someone to sit deeper. With Joe/Bruno(Tonali) it seems like we are lacking a proper defensive midfielder. 

I also think Bruno would be absolutely terrifying to opponents if the average position he received the ball in was 10-20 yards further forward. he usually retrieves it just outside our box and is facing our goal, then he finds a way to pull a feint or trick the player pressing him, turns and picks out a ball usually to the wing. IF he’s further forward and he does the same thing, turning his man but in a dangerous part of the pitch with 3 options ahead of him I think he would be near impossible to stop. Considering the pace of our front 3 and his dribbling/passing ability it would be a case of pick your poison for the opponents. 

Another thing I’ve noticed is since he’s been playing deeper he seems absolutely gassed when he does make it into the final third. He will have a spell where he is absolutely everywhere for 10 minutes and then when the ball finally finds him in the final third to pick out a killer ball or go for goal his legs are completely dead and he is out of breath. Would be nice to find a player who can do the heavy lifting in terms of breaking up play and pushing the ball forward. Not necessarily an anchor of a CDM but someone with a high work rate, good physical traits and is half decent at passing. 

Edited by Sufi

I'm sure we can, but we won't be paying more than 40-50 for anyone unless they think they're the next Messi.

I've said this before, but it's worth reiterating...

Every transfer window in which we have spent money, we have been way more ambitious than what I would have been. 

In the relegation zone: We signed Bruno and Trippier

Following summer: Beat AC Milan to Botman and signed one of most highly rated young strikers in Europe in Isak.

Following Summer: Took AC Milans future captain off them (ok, I know, I know).

The point is, sometimes we are guilty of a lack of imagination. IF we have money to spend, we tend to go after real quality.

4 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'm sure we can, but we won't be paying more than 40-50 for anyone unless they think they're the next Messi.

We've paid over 40m for a player in every transfer window we have been involved in (apart from January gone).

In the scenario I outlined above, I could easily see:

50m for Diomande

Kelly for free

50m for a RW/Striker

If we recoup 30/40m for the 3 I mentioned above, that's more than doable.

We are almost certainly getting 10m+ for Ashworth leaving, which correct me if I'm wrong also adds to our PSR kitty.

We are also building a youth setup where we can start to see some loan fees coming into the equation.

Put it this way, if Minteh heads back out on loan, I'd expect a couple of million heading our way. Every little helps in that regard.

29 minutes ago, STM said:

As you say, we may sell players too. I can easily see a scenario where we sell Miggy, Wilson and Targett, we'd get somewhere around 30/40m for them 3 and although I have limited understanding of amortisation, that's not an insignificant number.

I'd be incredibly surprised if we make anywhere near that much on those three. Half of that maybe

Completely agree with STM. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if we spend 100m. Obviously not net spend. Maybe like 55-65m net spend. I think there likely is a minimum 40m of deadwood in this squad to get rid of. Add the ashworth money to that and why not. 2-3 players for a total of around 100m seems reasonable. 

7 minutes ago, buzz said:

I'd be incredibly surprised if we make anywhere near that much on those three. Half of that maybe

15-20m maximum for Miggy Wilson and Targett combined? Hahaha come on man. Miggy himself is worth over 15m. Same with Wilson. I understand being a realist but that seems pessimistic to me. Maybe we undervalue our own players? 

Wilson can bag 15 goals easy for a newly promoted team. Miggy is a hard working pacey player with skill who would fit in perfectly at a counter attacking side in the bottom half of the table. Probably half of the managers in the PL would like to have players like that.

We sold Chris Wood for 15m. Wilson is a capped England international who scores goals for fun (when healthy). 18 premier league goals last season. 5th in the prem right up there with Salah and co and he was sharing the job with Isak. 

Edited by Sufi

1 hour ago, Pixelphish said:

Anyone know if A bola is a credible source?

We don't have £80m+ to spend on one player, what do you think about their credibility?

33 minutes ago, Sufi said:

15-20m maximum for Miggy Wilson and Targett combined? Hahaha come on man. Miggy himself is worth over 15m. Same with Wilson. I understand being a realist but that seems pessimistic to me. Maybe we undervalue our own players? 

Wilson can bag 15 goals easy for a newly promoted team. Miggy is a hard working pacey player with skill who would fit in perfectly at a counter attacking side in the bottom half of the table. Probably half of the managers in the PL would like to have players like that.

We sold Chris Wood for 15m. Wilson is a capped England international who scores goals for fun (when healthy). 18 premier league goals last season. 5th in the prem right up there with Salah and co and he was sharing the job with Isak. 

Targett is currently worth very very little considering his injury and how little he's played in the previous 18 months.We'd be lucky to get anything close to £5M this summer.

Wilson is 32 and going into his last years which will be even more injury filled than his prime year's. He's got experience and scores goals etc but his downsides are so glaring. If we can get somewhere between £10M and £15M I'd take it. Plus he's in his last year now (?) 

Almiron is the big one. He's 30 but he still plays like he's 20 and this current injury aside is pretty sturdy. Saudi seems the obvious choice for him. I think we could squeeze £20M out of one of those clubs over there for him.

I insist, even if Tonali and Joelinton will be back I think we have to sign a high quality midfielder with great technical ability. Imo an attacking one. We have no playing depth and the space is often too big between midfield and attack. Yes a ball playing CB and playing our more technical fullbacks would also help. 

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I insist, even if Tonali and Joelinton will be back I think we have to sign a high quality midfielder with great technical ability. Imo an attacking one. We have no playing depth and the space is often too big between midfield and attack. Yes a ball playing CB and playing our more technical fullbacks would also help. 

Crying out for some creativity and something a bit different in final 3rd, look very predictable apart from Isak.

Edited by Whitley mag