NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

To be fare I love Miggy but we’ll make some money (Saudi club) and a more consistent 2 footed RW as back up (Murphy or AN other). 

I mentioned Olise earlier and some seemed to think he was too left footed like Miggy.  I think he would be a very solid replacement.  

Normally I would say absolutely no chance of us getting Olise when considering the clubs that would be after him. However, he seems slightly different compared to many other “star” players when it comes to his priorities and decision making. Obviously wouldn’t know for sure but it seems that wherever he goes next he will want to be a key starter, playing regularly. Didn’t he turn down the chance to go to Chelsea as he felt it was better for him to stay and play or similar? That’s how I remember it at least.. He could have gone there on a massive and long contract like most other players would.

I’m not sure how many clubs in Europe could afford to spend 60m on him as well as more or less guaranteeing him being a regular starter. My guess is that he would like to stay in England. Some of the bigger teams already have players like Saka and Salah. Don’t think he would go to ManU tbh. Chelsea seems a bit risky too and they already have Palmer even though he could go more central. Even if they have turned the corner a bit lately I’m not sure that place is a solid and loving home for a player. The environment there just stinks a bit. Maybe to City, depending on what happens with Silva who often plays there. At City he probably wouldn’t play every game though. 

Im not saying that he is very likely to join us over others if we decide to go for him but I reckon we have a decent chance tbh. 

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Normally I would say absolutely no chance of us getting Olise when considering the clubs that would be after him. However, he seems slightly different compared to many other “star” players when it comes to his priorities and decision making. Obviously wouldn’t know for sure but it seems that wherever he goes next he will want to be a key starter, playing regularly. Didn’t he turn down the chance to go to Chelsea as he felt it was better for him to stay and play or similar? That’s how I remember it at least.. He could have gone there on a massive and long contract like most other players would.

I’m not sure how many clubs in Europe could afford to spend 60m on him as well as more or less guaranteeing him being a regular starter. My guess is that he would like to stay in England. Some of the bigger teams already have players like Saka and Salah. Don’t think he would go to ManU tbh. Chelsea seems a bit risky too and they already have Palmer even though he could go more central. Even if they have turned the corner a bit lately I’m not sure that place is a solid and loving home for a player. The environment there just stinks a bit. Maybe to City, depending on what happens with Silva who often plays there. At City he probably wouldn’t play every game though. 

Im not saying that he is very likely to join us over others if we decide to go for him but I reckon we have a decent chance tbh. 

Another key factor:

:howe:

4 minutes ago, Ikon said:

The 'big 6' can offer significantly higher wages than us.. He also seems like a lad that would rather stay in London.. maybe slightly suspect injury-wise and very awkward in interviews but I love him as a player. 

Just now, junkhead said:

The 'big 6' can offer significantly higher wages than us.. He also seems like a lad that would rather stay in London.. maybe slightly suspect injury-wise and very awkward in interviews but I love him as a player. 

I know this! But he also could have gone to Chelsea and get much higher wages but he decided to stay. Yes we can’t offer the same wages but we can still offer good wages that we also can improve even more upon later. Money talks but I’m not sure if that’s the biggest priority for him. Staying in London is a fair point if that’s what he wants to do. 

12 minutes ago, junkhead said:

Just wondering, out of interest, how he seems like a lad that would rather stay in London.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Just wondering, out of interest, how he seems like a lad that would rather stay in London.

loves a bit pie and mash, jellied eels and spends all his spare time sewing sequins onto a natty black suit. 

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Took the question directly out of my mouth 

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Took the question directly out of my mouth 

This London thing seems to be a big hang up with Newcastle fans man. It's extraordinary.

Just now, KaKa said:

I don't want my poor english to send the wrong message but it's my impression watching him in interviews.. might be totally wrong of course.

1 minute ago, junkhead said:

I don't want my poor english to send the wrong message but it's my impression watching him in interviews.. might be totally wrong of course.

Does he say innit bruv and fam a lot? 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

This London thing seems to be a big hang up with Newcastle fans man. It's extraordinary.

It's just the norm for anyone in UK really, you're nothing unless you make it in London.

Totally ignoring the fact that some people prioritise completely different things in life. I like visiting and staying in big cities, but I absolutely love coming back to Newcastle.

1 minute ago, junkhead said:

I think the London thing is overstated.

These guys have more than enough free time to pop down to London, without having to be there every second of every day.

It's not that deep.

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Does he say innit bruv and fam a lot? 

Exactly, he sounds like it's hard for him to string a sentence without them.. I've spent my formative years in fucking Bulgaria listening to South London grime so it's a very informed observation.

It's not really. London and the Midlands are significantly more multicultural than the North East, although the gap has closed a bit. That doesn't necessarily matter much to everyone, but sometimes it does, especially for those who don't know much about this part of the world. Personally I'm not a fan of London, but for people who haven't been here much, maybe London just seems more glamorous.

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

It's just the norm for anyone in UK really, you're nothing unless you make it in London.

Totally ignoring the fact that some people prioritise completely different things in life. I like visiting and staying in big cities, but I absolutely love coming back to Newcastle.

Yikes!!!

You're nothing unless you make it in London? Really?!

Do Liverpool and Man United fans worry about the London factor like this too?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yikes!!!

These lads grew up in the cages together. Tino was one of them. It depends how strong the ties are. 

South London is the football hotbed. Northern working class towns don't produce like they used to. 

Edited by La Parka

Just now, KaKa said:

Yikes!!!

Football success obviously counts for plenty. I doubt anybody would have described Liverpool as a desirable destination before the Shankly/Paisley era.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It's not really. London and the Midlands are significantly more multicultural than the North East, although the gap has closed a bit. That doesn't necessarily matter much to everyone, but sometimes it does, especially for those who don't know much about this part of the world. Personally I'm not a fan of London, but for people who haven't been here much, maybe London just seems more glamorous.

I don't think these guys are given enough credit for their prioritising of their football as professionals.

Everyone just seems to think it's about how glamorous a city they are in.

For some I'm sure it might be the case, but not to the extent that is being made out at all.

Yikes!!!

Suppose if I was a multi millionaire at 20 odd I may be tempted to go live in a city where everything is happening.

Newcastle can feel like the opposite side of the world in comparison, whilst only being a few hours on a train away.

Like I say not everyone prioritises that, and some have young families which is where places like Newcastle can be a massive plus.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Football success obviously counts for plenty. I doubt anybody would have described Liverpool as a desirable destination before the Shankly/Paisley era.

Exactly. And look at the team and project being put together at Newcastle right now, and the atmosphere at the home games. Players are going to be attracted to this for sure.

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Suppose if I was a multi millionaire at 20 odd I may be tempted to go live in a city where everything is happening.

Newcastle can feel like the opposite side of the world in comparison, whilst only being a few hours on a train away.

Like I say not everyone prioritises that, and some have young families which is where places like Newcastle can be a massive plus.

Not everyone wants to be out and about like that though.

Making the kind of money these guys make, life is pretty sweet wherever you are.

7 minutes ago, NE27 said:

A 20yr old on north of £100k a week aint gonna be getting the 10am GNER to King's Cross