NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

53 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

All reports are saying we got some wiggle room now.

I don't think we have enough wiggle room to go on the type of shopping spree we've grown accustomed to.

Enough to get Thiaw for like £30-35m and like £4m wages sure. But enough to get a £60m winger on a £5.5m wage? I don't think we do.

We need to generate further headroom for that IMO. I think we needed 90% of those sales to be compliant - I don't think it's given us significant headroom. 

I think we'll sign a RCB and a RW, then if there are any outgoings we'll look at a striker. 

The delays are most likely to do with the executive reshuffle. There was talk from Waugh that Mitchell was undertaking a squad audit.

Just now, The Prophet said:

I think we'll sign a RCB and a RW, then if there are any outgoings we'll look at a striker. 

The delays are most likely to do with the executive reshuffle. There was talk from Waugh that Mitchell was undertaking a squad audit.

Other than Villa hasn’t the market also just generally been quite slow for most teams?

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Without outgoings - what level of signing would you think we'll get?

We will have until next June to deal with outgoings too tbf.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't think we have enough wiggle room to go on the type of shopping spree we've grown accustomed to.

Enough to get Thiaw for like £30-35m and like £4m wages sure. But enough to get a £60m winger on a £5.5m wage? I don't think we do.

We need to generate further headroom for that IMO. I think we needed 90% of those sales to be compliant - I don't think it's given us significant headroom. 

We may sell one yes, but The Athletic said we should have a "solid" budget (Not the right word but something in that line).

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Without outgoings - what level of signing would you think we'll get?

We will have until next June to deal with outgoings too tbf.

Given we were in for Olise, I think it'll be fairly decent. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Almiron shifted too.

3 hours ago, NSG said:

Another striker is absolutely essential. Can’t rely on Wilson and Isak often picks up injuries. If we’re playing Gordon up top for a significant period of time then we’re not making Europe. 

Scored huge number of goals last season with just Isak and Wilson and with CL games, there will be at least 5 fewer games pre Christmas than last season. 85 PL goals was 4th best in league, some way ahead of 5th best and IIRC the clubs best ever tally.

Gordon and Barnes also contribute well from the left. A new RW who contributes goals will share it round more.

Another striker would be ideal, especially as there doesn’t appear to be anyone in the youth set up coming through, however the issue last season was more about the defence and control of games.

Maybe both Mileys can replace Anderson so we might just need a RW and CB I'd also love a Striker if Wilson goes but it looks like he could be staying now, we may have to be happy with only two more signings this summer

2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Other than Villa hasn’t the market also just generally been quite slow for most teams?

I think Man United, Chelsea, Villa and West Ham have all made a couple of major signings.

Miggy and Kieran look highly likely. Wilson? Bit less clear, would be surprised at anyone else who played at least a few first team football matches last year going 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

From the Athletic:

"Paul Mitchell, Newcastle’s new sporting director, is keen to move further senior players out to reduce the wage bill"

Good, not fussed about Tripps, Wilson and Miggy going.

Especially the latter two.

8 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Good, not fussed about Tripps, Wilson and Miggy going.

Especially the latter two.

I agree, but it definitely becomes a problem if he's doing it over Howe's head.

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From the Athletic:

"Paul Mitchell, Newcastle’s new sporting director, is keen to move further senior players out to reduce the wage bill"

Lewis, Targett, Fraser 

18 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

I know, but I get the feeling Howe doesn't want to sell anyone because he likes them.

That remains to be proven though. It would be mental if he's fighting all outgoings, but I don't think it's a fair conclusion, yet. It's not like we've had lots of clubs making serious overtures for them, and the mainstream story is it was Miggy blocking a move, not Eddie.

14 minutes ago, 80 said:

That remains to be proven though. It would be mental if he's fighting all outgoings, but I don't think it's a fair conclusion, yet. It's not like we've had lots of clubs making serious overtures for them, and the mainstream story is it was Miggy blocking a move, not Eddie.

He wants Trippier to stay though according to reports in the media today, and I don't doubt that is true.

21 minutes ago, TRon said:

He wants Trippier to stay though according to reports in the media today, and I don't doubt that is true.

Well, Trippier's the most debatable out of that group. The question with him is where his head's at, but if he's switched on and over whatever problems he's had I'd say he's categorically still effective at the top level, and highly influential. He had the best passing stats in Europe 9 months ago.

That's not to say we should definitely keep him, given PSR, but pre-Bournemouth away Trippier is a huge loss to the squad.

If we ended up keeping him because of Howe and we then got post-Bournemouth Trippier for another twelve months, then yeah, that would reflect heavily on Eddie.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

Well, Trippier's the most debatable out of that group. The question with him is where his head's at, but if he's switched on and over whatever problems he's had I'd say he's categorically still effective at the top level, and highly influential. He had the best passing stats in Europe 9 months ago.

That's not to say we should definitely keep him, given PSR, but pre-Bournemouth away Trippier is a huge loss to the squad.

If we ended up keeping him because of Howe and we then got post-Bournemouth Trippier for another twelve months, then yeah, that would reflect heavily on Eddie.

Trippier is still a very good player, even at 34 I would imagine he would be an asset for another season on the pitch. Off it though his value has decreased significantly and we've had to sell Anderson and Minteh to satisfy PSR rules. I totally understand why Eddie as a manager is so loyal to the group leaders, but it's also why I think we need a DOF like Mitchell who will look at the financial implications further down the line. We need to be more ruthless when it comes to buying and selling at least until we are allowed to spend without getting penalised.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Trippier is still a very good player, even at 34 I would imagine he would be an asset for another season on the pitch. Off it though his value has decreased significantly and we've had to sell Anderson and Minteh to satisfy PSR rules. I totally understand why Eddie as a manager is so loyal to the group leaders, but it's also why I think we need a DOF like Mitchell who will look at the financial implications further down the line. We need to be more ruthless when it comes to buying and selling at least until we are allowed to spend without getting penalised.

I agree with the vast majority of that. Initially, I was just taking issue with the idea it's definitely Eddie clinging on to every player we appear to be unable to shift.

Out of our current squad I'd prefer Wilson to go, I think he's a great player but we can't carry his injury record now I'm sure Mitchell and Howe have some explosive youngster lined up to replace him