NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I get it doesn't shut for a couple of weeks but to me if you don't have your most important business done by the first game there's something not quite right. If Guehi doesn't sign what a total waste these last 2 weeks have been. 

19 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

I get it doesn't shut for a couple of weeks but to me if you don't have your most important business done by the first game there's something not quite right. If Guehi doesn't sign what a total waste these last 2 weeks have been. 

I don't think this is entirely true, there's plenty of examples of clubs not making their biggest signing of the Summer till the final few days of the window. Even us a couple years ago with Isak. I know that was spurred on by Wilson getting injured, but even before that when it was looking like Pedro it wasn't going to happen till towards the very end of the window. The lack of time tends to focus minds on both the buying and selling side. 

20 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

I think that's unfair for a couple of reasons. Firstly there's every possibility we have been looking at other targets over the past two weeks so they won't have been wasted whether he signs or not. Secondly, yes it's always best to have business wrapped up early but we've spent half of the transfer window with a Sporting Director on gardening leave and his replacement has only been in situ for about a month. 

24 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Not all of our work is being done in public.

Ideally you want them in at the start of the transfer window but so many factors are in play here. Our main problem has been that we haven't been able to shift anyone, I imagine the club wanted to get a few out by now so they know how much they can spend on the few players they want to buy, remember it is quality not quantity this year and we wouldn't want to settle on a weaker RW and then manage to raise some funds and free up wages that meant we could maybe go for someone that we perhaps wanted more. 

There are plenty of other teams that have either not done much or are just starting to do more now, I am sure we will see some activity at Newcastle over the next two weeks and we will all end up happy come two weeks or so time. 

37 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It doesn't make sense that club don't wrap their business up earlier, but I suppose you could say that about any deadline in life. You don't have to run right up to it but it's hard to resist doing that. 

To be fair there's not much happening anywhere is there?  

2 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

You’ve no idea what else they’ve been doing, tbf.

My god the Chronicle headlines on Newsnow are complete bullshit. Refuse to click them these days. Football365 has been taking the piss, but it's sad how much Reach has destroyed local press. But suppose you can't complain if the public won't pay or click for proper journalism.