NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'd say Bruno's performances in the league and CL eclipse anything Paqueta has done in his time at West Ham. Paqueta isn't worth £80m, more like £50-60m, but Bruno is certainly worth more than him.

A player is worth what a club is willing to pay.  Man City were willing to pay £80m.  I don’t foresee anyone paying £100m+ for Bruno (but then, we don’t have to sell him, either :))

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Is an argument for this season being a write off anyway and keeping all of our money for the summer . We can still finish 7th or 8th with the current squad and realistically we aren't going to finish top 4 whoever we go out and buy.

If a deal becomes available (Gordon style), do it.

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They can’t smokescreen publicly available accounts.  It’s pretty easy to see that if we’re following FFP, then there isn’t much wriggle-room.

I’ve seen this from NUFC fans every transfer window.  Loads in the summer talking about ‘we’ll spend £150-200m, easy’.  

The publicly available ones are never up to date. I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of where we are at.

Given who we have running the club, I'd be shocked if we were THAT close to FFP restrictions.

I'd suggest that they will always leave room in January for a signing or two.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

A player is worth what a club is willing to pay.  Man City were willing to pay £80m.  I don’t foresee anyone paying £100m+ for Bruno (but then, we don’t have to sell him, either :))

Chelsea spent 110 on Enzo, who's not as good as Bruno.

Although, realistically we are looking at Real/Barca/Man City for Bruno, Barca can't afford him and City don't need him right now. Real is the only real possibility 

Just now, STM said:

The publicly available ones are never up to date. I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of where we are at.

Given who we have running the club, I'd be shocked if we were THAT close to FFP restrictions.

I'd suggest that they will always leave room in January for a signing or two.

We ran up a £70m loss in 21/22 - that drops off FFP next year, but we’re still hampered by it.  You’re right, we haven’t seen the books - but given that we spent £160m net last season on transfers, it’s likely that another (much smaller) loss was accrued.  So this year we’re limited as to what sort of loss we can run - you can only run a loss of £105m over three years.  I think that there will be money available - but not much.  Getting knocked out of Europe before Xmas also likely wasn’t part of the plan. 

Just now, STM said:

Chelsea spent 110 on Enzo, who's not as good as Bruno.

Although, realistically we are looking at Real/Barca/Man City for Bruno, Barca can't afford him and City don't need him right now. Real is the only real possibility 

Chelsea have spent crazy money mind.  Enzo isn’t worth half that for me.  Likewise Caicedo, Mudryk etc etc. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

We ran up a £70m loss in 21/22 - that drops off FFP next year, but we’re still hampered by it.  You’re right, we haven’t seen the books - but given that we spent £160m net last season on transfers, it’s likely that another (much smaller) loss was accrued.  So this year we’re limited as to what sort of loss we can run - you can only run a loss of £105m over three years.  I think that there will be money available - but not much.  Getting knocked out of Europe before Xmas also likely wasn’t part of the plan. 

About where I'd imagine we are at to be honest. Some slight wriggle room for a signing.

Hopefully a few commercial deals will start seeing us be able to flex in the summer.

Just now, STM said:

About where I'd imagine we are at to be honest. Some slight wriggle room for a signing.

Hopefully a few commercial deals will start seeing us be able to flex in the summer.

Yeah, definitely.  And 21/22 no longer being like a ball and chain - the Ashley damage goes next season.

If we are right up against FFP we have about £8m in amortisation dropping off on January 1st (Wilson and Lewis) but that also depends on losses and how much new sponsorship came in, we have spent £414m in 3 years and brought in £50m in the last 3 years 

I somewhat agree with @Geogaddiin the sense that its important to have a strong medium term view.

There's no use us panicking because we've had a shaky period and start making mistakes.

In short, I'd rather us not spend at all, if it meant we could refocus on key areas in the summer.

In no order:

CF (someone young who can step in when the crock twins are out)

RW 

DM 

CB

2 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

If we are right up against FFP we have about £8m in amortisation dropping off on January 1st (Wilson and Lewis) but that also depends on losses and how much new sponsorship came in, we have spent £414m in 3 years and brought in £50m in the last 3 years 

It’s amortised in the (football) financial year, not the calendar year, they won’t drop off in January; they’ll drop off in July.

New sponsors will definitely help (though not adidas until next season) 

1 minute ago, STM said:

I somewhat agree with @Geogaddiin the sense that its important to have a strong medium term view.

There's no use us panicking because we've had a shaky period and start making mistakes.

In short, I'd rather us not spend at all, if it meant we could refocus on key areas in the summer.

In no order:

CF (someone young who can step in when the crock twins are out)

RW 

DM 

CB

Spending in January won’t affect our summer budget

It’s amortised in the (football) financial year, not the calendar year, they won’t drop off in January; they’ll drop off in July.

New sponsors will definitely help (though not adidas until next season) 

If that’s the case(it’s not how I understand it mind) then we probably don’t have anything to spend in January 

Howe and co. have been saying the books are tight for several windows now... Are people really still falling for the trick that "there's nothing to spend" because someone said so?

It's literally just a play for leverage in negotiations. That's not to say FFP doesn't restrict it, but make no mistake we'll be adding something this window. And all the journos - who like it or not have better info than we do - seem to agree.

Just now, Upthemags said:

Howe and co. have been saying the books are tight for several windows now... Are people really still falling for the trick that "there's nothing to spend" because someone said so?

It's literally just a play for leverage in negotiations. That's not to say FFP doesn't restrict it, but make no mistake we'll be adding something this window. And all the journos - who like it or not have better info than we do - seem to agree.

When we have spent the amount we have, without really bringing much money in, then we are going to be close to the limit.

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

It was widely reported in the summer that the budget was between £75-100m.  Loads said ‘that’s not the case - we’ll spend loads more than that’.  We didn’t. 

If the FFP stuff is a negotiating gambit, then every other football club is run by the thickest cunts alive.  Because if anyone will understand how true / likely it is, it is other clubs (who have to follow the same restrictions).

The FFP stuff isn’t the club playing poker - the other players have already seen your hand.  It is real

If the FFP stuff is a negotiating gambit, then every other football club is run by the thickest cunts alive.  Because if anyone will understand how true / likely it is, it is other clubs (who have to follow the same restrictions).

The FFP stuff isn’t the club playing poker - the other players have already seen your hand.  It is real

If it is a negotiating tactic, it hasn’t really worked, we have spent big sums on most of our main signings. I wouldn’t say we got a bargain deal for anyone tbh. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m happy to be wrong tbf - but my understanding has always been that it’s in the footballing year (23/24). 

Of course it is, the alternative is ridiculous and unworkable in any sense. You had it spot on

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It was widely reported in the summer that the budget was between £75-100m.  Loads said ‘that’s not the case - we’ll spend loads more than that’.  We didn’t. 

This^^ we spent £133m and brought in £38m, so we might have £5m left over from the summer if the budget was £100m 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If it is a negotiating tactic, it hasn’t really worked, we have spent big sums on most of our main signings. I wouldn’t say we got a bargain deal for anyone tbh. 

Agreed - I can’t think of anyone where we paid below market price for them (though of course some of them will now be worth a lot more than we paid for them)