NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Linked with Guehi from Palice in the mail.

A very good player but would cost a bomb so it would be a surprise. Think we need to prioritise the GK and forward positions with whatever funds we have 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Don't think we'll do loads in January. One on loan and perhaps another.

Can see a right winger and/or striker being on the agenda in the summer.

Totally agree, I genuinely think we’re skint with FFP.

Edited by Gawalls

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think you’ll be right and it’ll be Phillips as Howe clearly wants him.

Just hope the board stay strong though and don’t buckle to an obligation, or we should absolutely walk away.

For me we’re crying out for a creative spark up front as we look stale and predictable going forward.

You’ve more restraint than me, I hope they buckle like an aluminium anvil hit with a ten pound hammer! 

36 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Totally agree, I genuinely think we’re skint with FFP.

Don't think we need loads to be fair. I like the option of having a defensive midfielder and a keeper to cover or eventually replace Pope.

Obviously Almiron needs upgrading and I think we'll look at another striker, but these are big ticket players who won't come cheap. 

Speaking of which, did Wilson ever sign that contract extension or is he still out in the summer?

Edited by The Prophet

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Don't think we need loads to be fair. I like the option of having a defensive midfielder and a keeper to cover or eventually replace Pope.

Obviously Almiron needs upgrading and I think we'll look at another striker, but these are big ticker players who won't come cheap. 

Speaking of which, did Wilson ever sign that contract extension or is he still out in the summer?

Signed a one-year extension IIRC.

Think if we go for Phillips it'll be a straight loan no obligation which City wouldn't be too keen on. May be one we'll have to wait until the end of the window for when City's options are slimmer and they may relent.

Would imagine that they'd like to sign someone at RW too who'd also be an option up front but that feels like it'll go the way of the quest for a midfielder last January. A shortage of realistic options and a reluctance to sign someone for the short term when we do have options there albeit limited. Plus Minteh is lurking in the background, maybe they like what they've seen of him.

I do think Barnes could work well on the right more so than Gordon. He's an intelligent footballer, technically decent and a relentless runner. A lot of our work down the right is derived from good combination play and he's probably our most trustworthy and decisive player in good attacking positions capable of finishing off either foot which is 2 more than Miggy at the moment.

Edited by jackflap

5 minutes ago, jackflap said:

Think if we go for Phillips it'll be a straight loan no obligation which City wouldn't be too keen on. May be one we'll have to wait until the end of the window for when City's options are slimmer and they may relent.

Would imagine that they'd like to sign someone at RW too who'd also be an option up front but that feels like it'll go the way of the quest for a midfielder last January. A shortage of realistic options and a reluctance to sign someone for the short term when we do have options there albeit limited. Plus Minteh is lurking in the background, maybe they like what they've seen of him.

I do think Barnes could work well on the right more so than Gordon. He's an intelligent footballer, technically decent and a relentless runner. A lot of our work down the right is derived from good combination play and he's probably our most trustworthy and decisive player in good attacking positions capable of finishing off either foot which is 2 more than Miggy at the moment.

Minteh has looked decent but I wouldn't consider bringing him back.  This loan is going to be doing wonders for his development and, looking at the longer term, we don't want to damage our relationship with Feyenoord for a short term fix, they could be a great partner for us in the future.

59 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

:thup:

Just checked. In the summer it's currently Gillespie, Manquillo, Krafth, Schar, Lascelles, Dummett and Ritchie.

Can see them letting all go bar Krafth, Schär,and Big Jam (depending on other plans/business, maybe all bar Schär)

Edited by PauloGeordio

9 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Can see them letting all go bar Krafth and Big Jam (depending on other plans/business, maybe all bar Schär)

Unless we're getting 2 premium CB's then we need to sign on Schar at least. Even then, 4 quality CB's should be min and if Schar was seen as our weakest option, we'd be on the right track.

41 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Unless we're getting 2 premium CB's then we need to sign on Schar at least. Even then, 4 quality CB's should be min and if Schar was seen as our weakest option, we'd be on the right track.

Meant Scär to be kept also [emoji38] (corrected)

Edited by PauloGeordio

59 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I dont think Schar is wanted TBF, he can talk to other clubs in a couple of hours we've had long enough to speak to him by now.

1 minute ago, Ben said:

I dont think Schar is wanted TBF, he can talk to other clubs in a couple of hours we've had long enough to speak to him by now.

If we're skint then he needs to stay. Out of all of them he's the best by some distance. 1st 10months of this year and he was lauded as one of the best we've had in that position. 

Maybe he has offers already from elsewhere, player/backroom role, we know he's doing quals for director positions.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabian-schar-received-green-light-28368289

Schar's Newcastle contract expires at the end of the season but the centre-back has already expressed his desire to stay in the north east under Eddie Howe. The veteran has been an ever-present figure for the Magpies this term, featuring in every Premier League clash. 

“This is the best time of my career, playing in the best league,” Schar told reporters before the away clash with Borussia Dortmund in October. “I feel like this is my second home. 

"I have been here over five years. I feel really confident. The city and the club gave me a lot and I want to give something back. To see the fans, these good times, they deserve.”

:love:

Edited by PauloGeordio

1 hour ago, jackflap said:

Could be describing either Gordon or Barnes there. Both would offer more than Miggy on the right and would help us mix it up a bit tactically. Looking forward to seeing it, personally.

Just now, aussiemag said:

Paulinha, Olise and Gibbs-White please. 

First one no thanks (if you mean the Fulham player) Olise yes please, but would cost a bomb. MGW would cost more than I think he is worth but good player. 

6 hours ago, Cronky said:

There's a rumour that City are holding out for a loan with an obligation to buy in the summer, which makes the decision a lot more tricky.

With the potential size of the transfer fee and wages, that would obviously restrict us in the summer. A question mark for me would be how well he would combine with Bruno, who is doing well in that anchor role despite not being a defensive midfielder. I guess that's a potential problem with whoever we might look to slot in alongside - and that includes Tonali.

Obviously it's been difficult for Phillips to get into that City side, with Rodri for competition, but there has been a hint that Pep is dubious about the player's general attitude. My money would be on Eddie's ability to motivate him though.

Is Bruno doing well in the DM role though? When we are on the ball he's great, but if we lose it the defence tends to look badly exposed against teams with pace up front.

2 hours ago, loki679 said:

Minteh has looked decent but I wouldn't consider bringing him back.  This loan is going to be doing wonders for his development and, looking at the longer term, we don't want to damage our relationship with Feyenoord for a short term fix, they could be a great partner for us in the future.

Wasn't advocating bringing Minteh back but if they like the look of him and think he could contribute next season it'll make them less likely to make a move in this window. Realistically if he were to come back in January he'd be very unlikely to feature much barring of the bench. Had we made the Europa there'd be an argument purely for numbers but with none of the injuries season ending and a lighter schedule in the New Year it'd be a waste of time. That's a rare loan move that's actually worked out well so be a needlessly hasty move. The time to bring him back was a month ago when there was a bit more to salvage but the loan agreement and his injury made that a moot point.