NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, nufcnick said:

This^^ we spent £133m and brought in £38m, so we might have £5m left over from the summer if the budget was £100m 

At the end of the day, this is just reading the tea leaves - unless you have access to the club's private books.

Are we going to go out and buy Mbappe? No. Are we going to expend some amount of our funds on upgrade(s)? Absolutely.

Happy to eat crow if we sit tight too.

Just now, Upthemags said:

At the end of the day, this is just reading the tea leaves - unless you have access to the club's private books.

Are we going to go out and buy Mbappe? No. Are we going to expend some amount of our funds on upgrade(s)? Absolutely.

The club’s books aren’t private - this season’s accounts haven’t been published, but we know what they were for 21/22, we can make a pretty reasonable guess for what 22/23 look like (transfer fees and wages, prize money, TV money and sponsorship deals are all of public record), and so we can reasonably assume what this season’s books will end up showing.

I don’t doubt that the club will spend money in January - but I don’t think it’ll be very much. 

The big six did win through from their higher starting base and higher revenue making sure we can never actually catch up despite being the richest club on the planet....City and Chelsea by now had spunked half a billion each while NUFC were put in a straight jacket of top ten only proprtions

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The club’s books aren’t private - this season’s accounts haven’t been published, but we know what they were for 21/22, we can make a pretty reasonable guess for what 22/23 look like (transfer fees and wages, prize money, TV money and sponsorship deals are all of public record), and so we can reasonably assume what this season’s books will end up showing.

I don’t doubt that the club will spend money in January - but I don’t think it’ll be very much. 

The clubs books aren't private, except that we don't have access to them... Cmon lads.

Again, it's reading tea leaves until we see what happens. Past years might provide a barometer for guesswork, but it's just guesswork.

1 minute ago, Terrymac1966 said:

The big six did win through from their higher starting base and higher revenue making sure we can never actually catch up despite being the richest club on the planet....City and Chelsea by now had spunked half a billion each while NUFC were put in a straight jacket of top ten only proprtions

It’s hard to see how we catch them tbh.  The ‘market value’ sponsorship rules completely snooker us - if the club don’t challenge that, then we’re not likely to grow much beyond where we are at present (not taking into account something like a new stadium). 

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

The clubs books aren't private, except that we don't have access to them... Cmon lads.

Again, it's reading tea leaves until we see what happens. Past years might provide a barometer for guesswork, but it's just guesswork.

They aren’t private - which is what you stated.

Its not really like reading tea leaves - sky money, premier league prize money, transfer deals, salaries, Champions league money, match day revenues, sponsorship deals - these are either already published or (in terms of matchday revenues) can be reasonably guessed at.  Sure, there would be a deviation % … but an educated estimate would likely be pretty close. 

3 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

The club made a £70m loss for 21-22, £14m 20-21 and 22.5m 19/20 which means we’re right on the cusp of breaking FFP, the losses for 22/23 are going to be higher than £22.5 which should be offset by better sponsorships, but looking at the figures I’m leaning to believe we’re right on the edge. 

9 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Let’s just blame Covid and then take a 10 point deduction in two years time 

It won’t be a 10point deduction though, the recommendation for breaking FFP is 6 point deduction and then 2 points for every so many millions over. Everton got lucky because the PL allowed 2 seasons to be counted as 1 for FFP purposes due to Covid 

Edited by nufcnick

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I would bet that Schar, Krafth, Lascelles, Dummett, Karius will all be offered one-year extensions at a minimum.  Ritchie might if he’s a player / coach. 

The problem with handing out contracts to the likes of Ritchie, Dummett and and Karius is that while they might be great to have around the club, we clearly don't trust them to make a difference off the bench. Just a waste of shirt numbers IMO.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

The problem with handing out contracts to the likes of Ritchie, Dummett and and Karius is that while they might be great to have around the club, we clearly don't trust them to make a difference off the bench. Just a waste of shirt numbers IMO.

I agree, but it’s just a prediction.  I think Dummett and Karius will still be onboard next season, and Ritchie will if he stays as a coach 

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They aren’t private - which is what you stated.

Its not really like reading tea leaves - sky money, premier league prize money, transfer deals, salaries, Champions league money, match day revenues, sponsorship deals - these are either already published or (in terms of matchday revenues) can be reasonably guessed at.  Sure, there would be a deviation % … but an educated estimate would likely be pretty close. 

You don't have access to current ledgers - those are private mate. Unless we're working with different understandings of what the word private means.

As you rightly say, you can have a guess if you like, and maybe even a good one. We'll know soon enough where we stand though, and my bet is we'll be bolstering the squad, even if only modestly, this window. Again, will eat crow if we get to February having spent the past month sitting on our hands.

23 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

It won’t be a 10point deduction though, the recommendation for breaking FFP is 6 point deduction and then 2 points for every so many millions over. Everton got lucky because the PL allowed 2 seasons to be counted as 1 for FFP purposes due to Covid 

Plus we are unlucky that Ashley didn't particularly care about covid claims as he was never going to spend extra than what was enough to survive. We could have had a hell of a lot more room if he did

Smith Rowe would be an interesting one for me, think a creative player that can play as one of the CMs or as one of the wingers depending on the opposition/situation is something that would add so much to our team.

Maddison and Szoboszlai both would have fit the bill so there seems an interest in adding a player of that description.

The obvious concern is his injury record, we've shown with Tino we're willing to take punts on young players that are working their way back though.

4 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

You don't have access to current ledgers - those are private mate. Unless we're working with different understandings of what the word private means.

As you rightly say, you can have a guess if you like, and maybe even a good one. We'll know soon enough where we stand though, and my bet is we'll be bolstering the squad, even if only modestly, this window. Again, will eat crow if we get to February having spent the past month sitting on our hands.

Where do you think the income has come from that we don’t know about though?

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It was widely reported in the summer that the budget was between £75-100m.  Loads said ‘that’s not the case - we’ll spend loads more than that’.  We didn’t. 

Tonali, Livramento and Barnes together were comfortably over 100m.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

So that'll be circa £25 million, plus previous windows roll over out, £38 million in?

If you mean for amortisation purposes £25m for 22/23, £32m for 21/22 and £22m 20/21 with only £40m coming the other way over the same period, remember we made a £7m loss on wood 

4 hours ago, Dokko said:

De Gea on a free, Phillips on loan and Minteh recalled would be the cheapest way to inject life back into our season. Really, no excuses not to get at least that done. I don't really want to bring minteh back, especially if he's off to acon anyway, but if money is tight and we don't want to commit, then something needs doing. 

No point in Minteh if he's leaving for the AFCON,  but the De Gea and Phillips on loan would surely make sense. It would give the squad a massive boost if nothing else. I think it would balance our current policy of signing potential nicely as well. We have enough lads on board who might grow into real assets, it would be nice to get some battle hardened players who can slot right in.