NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

32 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Paulinha, Olise and Gibbs-White please. 

Paulinha - think we can go abroad and get a quality 6 for a 3rd of the price Fulham would want 

Edited by Mikky

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

Is Bruno doing well in the DM role though? When we are on the ball he's great, but if we lose it the defence tends to look badly exposed against teams with pace up front.

Bruno in that role which is his best puts a greater emphasis on the balance of the rest of the midfield and makes Big Joe a must in there. Miley for all his talents doesn't have the physical profile yet. Leaves us short creatively with Longstaff needed in there as well for his running but unfortunately that's what Tonali was signed for.

28 minutes ago, TRon said:

Is Bruno doing well in the DM role though? When we are on the ball he's great, but if we lose it the defence tends to look badly exposed against teams with pace up front.

You're right, we do lose out defensively when he's played there, which was why I used the term 'anchor role'.

I think the problem is that, at Premiership level, you can't afford to have a player in that role who is limited to winning the ball. They will tend to get a lot of possession, and if they can't get the ball forward or support the attack when the chance arises, then too many opportunities are wasted. So despite his defensive limitations, Bruno is not easily replaced in that position. And to complicate things further, when in possession, he may be more effective with his team mates in front of him, where his passing and reading of the game come to the fore. There is speculation about how it would be better to free him up to receive the ball in more forward positions, but it's hard to tell how well that would work. 

FWIW, I think that Phillips is a bit more than a defensive player, so maybe if he comes, it'll be with a view to the two of them regularly alternating positions in the course of the game.

Where that might all leave Tonali is a moot point, of course.

Just now, Cronky said:

You're right, we do lose out defensively when he's played there, which was why I used the term 'anchor role'.

I think the problem is that, at Premiership level, you can't afford to have a player in that role who is limited to winning the ball. They will tend to get a lot of possession, and if they can't get the ball forward or support the attack when the chance arises, then too many opportunities are wasted. So despite his defensive limitations, Bruno is not easily replaced in that position. And to complicate things further, when in possession, he may be more effective with his team mates in front of him, where his passing and reading of the game come to the fore. There is speculation about how it would be better to free him up to receive the ball in more forward positions, but it's hard to tell how well that would work. 

FWIW, I think that Phillips is a bit more than a defensive player, so maybe if he comes, it'll be with a view to the two of them regularly alternating positions in the course of the game.

I agree. Phillips is ideal because not only is he a great shield he also has an outrageous long past on him. 

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I think genuine DMs can do more than just tackle. Diame was underrated when he was here IMO, same goes for Tiote who fans slagged off for trying to do too much on the ball when I think he ended up doing stuff because everyone else wasn't moving.

50 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I’d take a midfield three of:

Bruno - Phillips - Tonali

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I think genuine DMs can do more than just tackle. Diame was underrated when he was here IMO, same goes for Tiote who fans slagged off for trying to do too much on the ball when I think he ended up doing stuff because everyone else wasn't moving.

Diame had so much more to his game than Tiote who amazed us all in the beginning largely due to the fact he was so much better than the utterly useless Alan Smith.

Can’t say I’m very excited about this window. Would love for us to bring in a surprise name but if it’s Phillips and a GK to tide us over then it’s going to be a bit of a gutter. My main hope is that we land a RW but with our FFP it’s hard to believe that will happen this window 

Any chance there's a few quid available by selling some of the loan lads? Saw some report we're terminating Hayden's loan at Liege because there's Champo clubs after him. Not sure what the terms are of Fraser's loan?

Clutching and not going to be big money but if it unlocks a small release clause or loan fee etc it could make a difference

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Diame had so much more to his game than Tiote who amazed us all in the beginning largely due to the fact he was so much better than the utterly useless Alan Smith.

What was annoying about Tiote was that he ended up demanding the ball because others around him didn't. But yes, Diame wasn't a DM as such, he was just a good midfielder who did his job at both ends.

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Alan Smith, a player that summed up Ashley perfectly.