NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

There are definitely deals to do in Europe and beyond for younger upcoming players. Not sure if we have the appetite for it this month or all the eggs are in the Philips basket.

Or the current Brexit FC scouting network.

51 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If we sign no one I think it's because they don't see the point in investing now in order to chase 7th, thereby reducing our summer budget and affecting next season's chase for 4th. It suggests to me that they trust Howe and can live with a mid-table finish this time.

So should we tbh; I'm desperate to be in Europe and would love a Europa campaign, but I can respect the long-term sense in not recruiting now.

I recognise your points, but if Joelinton’s injury does turn out to be season-ending, we have no choice but to enter the market. Think we’ll really struggle to the end of the season with such scarce options in midfield.

I’ll push back a bit on the overall view of investment, again can’t we find players from more undervalued leagues / continents like Brighton? We don’t have to shatter our transfer record or anything.

I’m beginning to wonder if we have a recall option on Joe White's loan at this point, full academy graduate midfield by the end of the season. It worked for Roeder back in 05/06 ? we’d all be over the moon with another 7th placed finish at this point right?

11 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I recognise your points, but if Joelinton’s injury does turn out to be season-ending, we have no choice but to enter the market. Think we’ll really struggle to the end of the season with such scarce options in midfield.

I’ll push back a bit on the overall view of investment, again can’t we find players from more undervalued leagues / continents like Brighton? We don’t have to shatter our transfer record or anything.

Free transfers are the limit right now. Anyone out of contract who could do a job protecting our defence?

Although I can’t see us altering our transfer plans for short term gain, if Joelintons injury really is season ending then I’d lean towards expecting us to bring in a CM on a loan to buy deal. The workload is high enough for our CMs even with Joe available, and the risk of further injuries increases again with him out.. it might trigger a proactive response from us if a decent deal is there to be done. 

We won’t stray to far from our mid/long term financial plan though, we are already tight enough FFP wise if reports are to be believed. It would be silly to throw our structure out of the window to chase a short term goal of finishing a couple of places higher in the table, and European football is not essential at this stage. We can still finish the season strongly and there is a lot to gain, just having 3/4 of those out injured back and fit before the end of season would be huge alone. 

Puke as gloomy as ever in his article but pretty much nails it. If the big lad is out for the season we absolutely need someone in at least on loan. Think we need someone up front as well as it's a matter of time until Wilson gets knackered again.

25 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Rumours Hayden is coming back then going back on loan again. He has to stay with the squad now.

Why?:lol: 

I hope you aren't suggesting Hayden should play for us. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Still think we'll end up with Phillips.

I think the journos know fuck all again. Phillips is just an easy link.

Wouldn't shock me if a surprise loan from abroad happened.

19 minutes ago, STM said:

I think the journos know fuck all again. Phillips is just an easy link.

Wouldn't shock me if a surprise loan from abroad happened.

I am because we don’t have anyone else. 

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

Don’t agree. 

obviously to everyone else it was obvious he wouldn’t get much game time at City, but he would have backed himself to break into the team. He’s given it 18 months and hasn’t made progress, and is now actively wanting to leave. 

To be honest, I thought he'd been there longer until I checked. My point still stands, that a player with more get up and go, would have made more noise. Maybe he has and I've just not noticed. 

Newcastle have called off their pursuit of England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 28, because of Manchester City's demands for a loan fee. (Telegraph - subscription required)

As well as the Magpies, Crystal Palace, Everton, West Ham and Juventus are interested in signing Phillips. (Sky Sports)

Paris St-Germain are considering a move for Newcastle's Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, 26, who has a £100m release clause. (Talksport)

4 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Will wait to see what the end of the transfer window brings, but so far this window, I’m disappointed in our recruitment team. We’ve been engulfed in an injury crisis for months, surely deals should have been in an advanced stage. We’ve had quite a long lead-in time in identifying what the team needs.

I’m also frustrated at how we don’t seem to be shopping in markets where we could get better-value, if finances are this stretched. Brighton signing Barco for £8m springs to mind. Do our scouts even do anything? 

"Do our scouts even do anything"

My God man [emoji38]

4 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I’m beginning to wonder if we have a recall option on Joe White's loan at this point, full academy graduate midfield by the end of the season. It worked for Roeder back in 05/06 ? we’d all be over the moon with another 7th placed finish at this point right?

He is coming back and will be assessed to see if he can contribute the rest of the season.

There was an article out about it yesterday.

Edited by KaKa

Seems pointless bringing Philips in on loan now if the club don't actually want him permanently in the summer. Better off waiting and bringing in the player they actually want. Our season is destined to wither and die a slow death anyway as it stands, so let's hit reset and go again in the summer.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Seems pointless bringing Philips in on loan now if the club don't actually want him permanently in the summer. Better off waiting and bringing in the player they actually want. Our season is destined to wither and die a slow death anyway as it stands, so let's hit reset and go again in the summer.

It’s not pointless if we can get the loan for a fair amount without obligation, it’s the short term fix we need. 

The issue is city demands are unreasonable both in terms of the loan fee and future fee. He’s been a failure at city during the peak of his career and they are looking to make a small profit on him. They can of course demand what they please but we do right to the walk away.