NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

There were conversations with Liverpool about Gordon, whose agent was pushing hard for him to get the move to his boyhood club right up until the June 30 deadline. The player, according to multiple Newcastle sources, had wanted the transfer to go through and had been talking about it to team-mates while on England duty at the Euros. Liverpool, though, were lukewarm in their interest, failed to make a bid and the numbers talked about were so low they would not have made a meaningful contribution to the PSR deficit.

Other snippets:

If Wilson had left last month, that deal would have made a lot of sense but they could not create a market for the 32-year-old. 

Newcastle did not get the £20 million they had initially sought from Manchester United, but the payment was still a significant one and Newcastle had somehow got themselves out of trouble without losing any key players.

It should mean the club can now spend in excess of £100 million in this summer’s window with a right-sided forward and a centre-back their priorities.

10 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

Don't think I have, I don't think he could take any of the top teams up a level but the likes of Joe could. Still a very good player and contributed in the same way Longstaff did in the CL year and whilst I rate him higher than Longstaff their impact at their best has been almost the same.

Have to bare in mind Isak, Gordon and Bruno are the level we're aiming for. There's no reason therefore why we still can't go after that calibre of player in every postion. 

Tino and Barnes being good examples of players signed who would be good enough for a starting postion inspite of having similar quality players in front of them.

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

Have you actually watched a fit Joe Willock under Eddie?

Yeh I have.

But is he getting into the teams who regularly make up the top 4? If you think yes he would then fine, our opinions are completely divided, if it's a no then surely you can see the logic in having a first choice option off the bench who might have the quality to get into those sides - it's not like we haven't got precedence of signing those exact type of players.

Bruno would, Tonali has pedigree at a top club (although still unproven over here) and I would argue that Joelinton has a place in those clubs given he's good enough for Brazil. 

Look at our back up options for our defence (Kelly, Tino and potentially Schar) all of those are good enough for a top club. That's the quality of depth we should be aiming for. 

Don't think it's that controversial.

Edited by Thumbheed

How much in excess though? Because let's be honest, we need to spend more than £100M this summer. Especially if Wilson, Trippier and Almiron leave, obviously they will provide some cash but not THAT much. 

If we're wanting to be seriously competing then £100M gets you a starting CB and starting RW. Then we'd need another ST and a RB at minimum. 

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

If we're wanting to be seriously competing then £100M gets you a starting CB and starting RW. Then we'd need another ST and a RB at minimum. 

I would argue that the ST and RB don't need to starting level, and rather depth options. Especially the RB, we can go for an out of contract option, or an older option as we know Tino is likely going to have that position nailed down for years to come.

Mad to be selling Trippier, have no idea why people keep repeating that as if it’s a good idea.

£100m seems credible to me, I think that’ll be a CB at about 30m, RW at 60m and a punt on a young striker if Wilson leaves.

Already brought in 2 new faces, expect 3 more

3 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Mad to be selling Trippier, have no idea why people keep repeating that as if it’s a good idea.

£100m seems credible to me, I think that’ll be a CB at about 30m, RW at 60m and a punt on a young striker if Wilson leaves.

If we get 10 million from him, I think I would sell.

Edwards and Hope get a massive kick out of negative stories it has to be said and when they’re challenged they come back “hey, I’m just spitting facts” even if it turns out they were completely wrong and their sources lied to them 

24 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

How much in excess though? Because let's be honest, we need to spend more than £100M this summer. Especially if Wilson, Trippier and Almiron leave, obviously they will provide some cash but not THAT much. 

I would speculate that it would be £100m plus whatever we get for any outgoings. 

So if we don't shift anyone of any significance it'll be the 23/24 squad plus starting RW and a new CB (plus Tonali I suppose). Wilson goes, we'll bring in a CF. Trippier goes we'll bring in a RB. Almiron I'm not sure seeing as we'll be looking at RW regardless. Maybe they'll just keep that aside either for January or if a long-term target suddenly becomes available. 

11 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

I love Trippier. Set the standard after the takeover, seems like a great leader. However we are reaching the sliding doors moment with him and Tino. Trippier (for whatever reason) had a shaky second half of the season, when he wasn't injured. Tino is at the point now where we don't really miss Trippier from a technical standpoint when he is out. It would be foolish to risk losing Tino, who by all rights would start in the PL for at least 14 other sides and is only going to keep improving, to continue on this season with Trippier, who is likely entering his final season (2 at a push) at this top level. 

22 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

If last week has taught the club anything, it’s that we need to be better at selling. We should have sold him in January, I’d definitely cash in on him this summer.

I just think Trippiers legs have gone and he wasn't quick anyway. If we are dominant, fine, he's as good as anyone in dictating from the back and delivering good balls.

Sadly, the reality is that we are going to have defend in games and in the PL you invariably come up against quick wingers who can make you look silly.

Livramento has the potential to be one of the best one on one defenders I've ever seen, certainly at Newcastle. He's absolutely rapid at both ends of the pitch. The time is right to let him develop his game.

Trippier ain't staying here to sit on our bench, not 6 months after Bayern wanted him. Any notion that he's now number 2 and he's gone.

.... however, I do think Howe will see Trippier as his main RB, Howe shows loyalty to his senior players. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think 10m isn't enough to let him go. We'd need another RB.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Let’s hope Mitchell comes in hitting the ground running. Do we think this affects Nickson’s role at the club at all?

Don’t think so, but Mitchell is more recruitment focused than Ashworth so I’m excited to see what we do in the market.

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

There were conversations with Liverpool about Gordon, whose agent was pushing hard for him to get the move to his boyhood club right up until the June 30 deadline. The player, according to multiple Newcastle sources, had wanted the transfer to go through and had been talking about it to team-mates while on England duty at the Euros. Liverpool, though, were lukewarm in their interest, failed to make a bid and the numbers talked about were so low they would not have made a meaningful contribution to the PSR deficit.

This is factually complete bullshit.

38 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I would argue that the ST and RB don't need to starting level, and rather depth options. Especially the RB, we can go for an out of contract option, or an older option as we know Tino is likely going to have that position nailed down for years to come.

But they still need to be at a certain standard, and that will probably cost us a the best part of (if not more than) £40M to get two players in those positions. A striker especially, if they are young and have any sort of promise they will be expensive. Perhaps a RB would be cheaper but they need to be of a quality where we'd be happy to see them play all season. We know how easily players get injured for months at a time and Tino isn't immune to that kind of thing.

23 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I would speculate that it would be £100m plus whatever we get for any outgoings. 

So if we don't shift anyone of any significance it'll be the 23/24 squad plus starting RW and a new CB (plus Tonali I suppose). Wilson goes, we'll bring in a CF. Trippier goes we'll bring in a RB. Almiron I'm not sure seeing as we'll be looking at RW regardless. Maybe they'll just keep that aside either for January or if a long-term target suddenly becomes available. 

That wouldn't be a huge amount more in reality, especially if Miggy doesn't leave as he'd likely be the one to bring in the most money. Trippier, Wilson and Dubravka could easily go for less than £30M combined, and that's a decent enough amount but when that means you then have to replace two of players with similar quality it doesn't feel like much. Even when you spread it out over the season for PSR calculations.

I don't want to see us go into this season having failed to strengthen in the same areas that needed to be last summer (RW/CB/ST).

30 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Edwards and Hope get a massive kick out of negative stories it has to be said and when they’re challenged they come back “hey, I’m just spitting facts” even if it turns out they were completely wrong and their sources lied to them 

More clicks innit?

30 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If last week has taught the club anything, it’s that we need to be better at selling. We should have sold him in January, I’d definitely cash in on him this summer.

He’s not worth very much in £££, you’d have to buy a replacement and that replacement is going to know they are second choice with no plan for them to become first choice.

Basically it would add some bang average squad player on a 5 year deal, probably for the same cash recouped from a sale.

Meanwhile you remove the player that sets the bar in terms of standards at the club. After Howe, Trippier is the most important personality in the squad.