Should we stay or should we go?

Kid Icarus

Should we stay or should we go?  

496 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium expansion vs a new stadium

• Stay - expand St James's Park to the rumoured 65k capacity
    • Go - move to an alternative city centre location

Quite happy to move stadium just up the road , at the end of the day it's all about whether it's cost effective to stay and improve and the answer is no it isn't. To make United both clubs moved from their previous locations Newcastle East End were at Brough Park I believe,not sure where the West club was so a precident has been set.

5 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Quite happy to move stadium just up the road , at the end of the day it's all about whether it's cost effective to stay and improve and the answer is no it isn't. To make United both clubs moved from their previous locations Newcastle East End were at Brough Park I believe,not sure where the West club was so a precident has been set.

I’m not sure we’ll be be taking into account what happened 130 years ago in any decision making process

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

These polls are always dubious but even that one shows that more than twice as many people were in approval than those who were opposed.

I think the club caved in far too easily back then. If anything now though, the "friends of the park" lot have been more receptive to the move, providing that the club do their bit in bringing the park back to it's former glory.

The point was really only that that 3/10 people within the fanbase being against it is more than a peep.

The poll on here has gone just about as I expected. Would be interesting to see what a combination of NUST members, season ticket holders, Chronicle readers, BBC Radio Newcastle listeners and Toon Polls votes would look like. My money would be on option 2 winning by a landslide.

I wonder if a stadium has ever been built with acoustic engineers consulted and their input given more value than aesthetics.

Most modern stadiums remind me of concept cars, where they look great but are actually a pile of shit on the road.

23 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

At SJP weren't they?

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The point was really only that that 3/10 people within the fanbase being against it is more than a peep.

The poll on here has gone just about as I expected. Would be interesting to see what a combination of NUST members, season ticket holders, Chronicle readers, BBC Radio Newcastle listeners and Toon Polls votes would look like. My money would be on option 2 winning by a landslide.

Disagree with that I'm afraid. Season ticket holders, yes. The other sizeable portion of the support who are now locked out may have a different view on it IMO.

I don't really give a monkey's what anyone outside of the fanbase thinks about it anyway. Their opinion is irrelevant, it's all about what the support wants that counts here.

If money really was no object, I'd like to see them put a temporary stadium (apparently some of the stadia from Qatar can be used) in Castle Leazes, flatten the current SJP and then build the best ground in the world in its place. 

I honestly think that with the ambition the owners have, 60k will be nowhere near big enough and we need to be looking at 70k+.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I wonder if a stadium has ever been built with acoustic engineers consulted and their input given more value than aesthetics.

Most modern stadiums remind me of concept cars, where they look great but are actually a pile of shit on the road.

The Seahawks stadium out here in Seattle was: Why the Seattle Seahawks Stadium Is Loud (businessinsider.com)

31 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

If money really was no object, I'd like to see them put a temporary stadium (apparently some of the stadia from Qatar can be used) in Castle Leazes, flatten the current SJP and then build the best ground in the world in its place. 

I honestly think that with the ambition the owners have, 60k will be nowhere near big enough and we need to be looking at 70k+.

70k is definitely the sweet spot. As long as the club always shows the ambition to punch its weight, we'd always fill a stadium of that size for league games.

Edited by Wandy

6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Disagree with that I'm afraid. Season ticket holders, yes. The other sizeable portion of the support who are now locked out may have a different view on it IMO.

I don't really give a monkey's what anyone outside of the fanbase thinks about it anyway. Their opinion is irrelevant, it's all about what the support wants that counts here.

Those polls would be open to those locked out (just as I am btw)

Second part wasn't brought up, I'm not sure what you mean. All of those polls would be for Newcastle fans.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Those polls would be open to those locked out (just as I am btw)

Second part wasn't brought up, I'm not sure what you mean. All of those polls would be for Newcastle fans.

When you mentioned Chronicle readers and Radio Newcastle listeners etc I assumed you were refering to the general public rather than NUFC supporters.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

When you mentioned Chronicle readers and Radio Newcastle listeners etc I assumed you were refering to the general public rather than NUFC supporters.

Nah I meant like Total Sport and the Sports section of the Chronicle. Obviously if we were to relocate then the general public's opinion has to come into it like.

We need a sub-poll :lol: to see what the 2s will do when the club says nah, the Leazes Terrace thing is legit and we can't do fuck all about it. To 1 or to 3? 

Edited by OpenC

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nah I meant like Total Sport and the Sports section of the Chronicle. Obviously if we were to relocate then the general public's opinion has to come into it like.

The general public will have their say, and there will undoubtedly be NIMBY killjoys who oppose it, but this isnt the debate. The only question that we are asking is whether the fans would want the move.

Edited by Wandy

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The one that leaps to mind is CenturyLink Field, which is home to the Seahawks NFL Team. Fantastic accoustics.

Its materials and design magnify the sound allowing the decibel reading to be the equivalent of the noise level of a jet engine.

5 minutes ago, OpenC said:

We need a sub-poll :lol: to see what the 2s will do when the club says nah, the Leazes Terrace thing is legit and we can't do fuck all about it. To 1 or to 3? 

I thought about it but it just seems so unlikely tbh.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The general public will have their say, and there will undoubtedly be NIMBY killjoys who oppose it, but this isnt the debate. The only question that we are asking is whether the fans would want the move.

I know that mate :lol:

Don't really care as long as it's option 2 or 3. Just hope they expand significantly so it's not a big concern whether it's possible to get hold of tickets or not. Although I understand the concern from locals with connections/ST holders that it could affect the atmosphere I value my convenience higher :lol:

9 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

The one that leaps to mind is CenturyLink Field, which is home to the Seahawks NFL Team. Fantastic accoustics.

Its materials and design magnify the sound allowing the decibel reading to be the equivalent of the noise level of a jet engine.

It looks the part like. I know Spurs's stadium was designed with it in mind as well, but haven't heard anyone mention that it's loud.

Someone I know went to our game at Spurs and wasn't impressed with the noise.

One thing that perplexes me about that place is that it hasnt even got a roof that gives decent cover from the rain. It's like they designed it as if it was situated in Spain.

If we get a new stadium then it had better have a proper roof, ie one that goes all the way up to the pitch and also keeps the sound locked in.

Edited by Wandy

42 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It looks the part like. I know Spurs's stadium was designed with it in mind as well, but haven't heard anyone mention that it's loud.

Aye but even with the best accoustics in the world, you still need a fanbase to make some noise :lol: