Should we stay or should we go?

Kid Icarus

Should we stay or should we go?  

496 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium expansion vs a new stadium

• Stay - expand St James's Park to the rumoured 65k capacity
    • Go - move to an alternative city centre location

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Mentioned it last night but an upgraded, expanded SJP is my plan A and always will be. I'm not however going to boycotting a brand spanking, state of the art 70k arena that's built 100m up the road. It's a situation whereby if we want to be as good and as big as we all want to be we may need to up sticks at some point. 

This is basically it. I will grudgingly accept an expanded SJP that allows an expansion of at least 13k. But in reality we could do so much better with an all-new stadium that is more-or-less on the same site.

Stay, but work to improve the stadium in every single conceivable way. implement more safe standing, better access in and out, better amenities, refurb from top to bottom, black and white seats, change the font, remove those sponsor logos, more static flags, sack the PA etc.

the only reason I want an expansion is if it somehow helped the acoustics and improved the atmosphere. controversial, but I don't think we desperately need the extra seats, they'd be nice sure, but give it another year or two and the attendances will taper off. besides, if you really want to get in, you can get a ticket. aye maybe not a season ticket, but the way people go on about getting to the match as if it's an impossible feat. there's members who've managed to pick up tickets for every single home game since the takeover. it's not that difficult.

I'd also knock down the terraces in a heart beat :lol: so I realise I might be in the minority with these spicy takes.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:
3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not a lot, I hope. :lol: A glance at who's voted indicates that that clearly isn't the case. 

I'm talking about the fanbase in general. Not a tiny selection on a football forum.

Oh right. :rolleyes:

If we were to canvass the global fanbase I doubt it would be clear cut in favour of moving. I think there's a lot of evidence out there which indicates that a massive part of the appeal of these institutions is their history and culture; the stadium obviously being a significant part of that.

1 minute ago, Big River said:

Stay, but work to improve the stadium in every single conceivable way. implement more safe standing, better access in and out, better amenities, refurb from top to bottom, black and white seats, change the font, remove those sponsor logos, more static flags, sack the PA etc.

the only reason I want an expansion is if it somehow helped the acoustics and improved the atmosphere. controversial, but I don't think we desperately need the extra seats, they'd be nice sure, but give it another year or two and the attendances will taper off. besides, if you really want to get in, you can get a ticket. aye maybe not a season ticket, but the way people go on about getting to the match as if it's an impossible feat. there's members who've managed to pick up tickets for every single home game since the takeover. it's not that difficult.

I'd also knock down the terraces in a heart beat :lol: so I realise I might be in the minority with these spicy takes.

:lol:

1 hour ago, bigfella said:

I think they'll look at every conceivable option to remain at SJP, but will ultimately decide to move into Leazes Park.

I think what may make the owners change their minds about moving, will be the limited scope to add significant amounts of new corporate facilities if we stay.

I'd be surprised if they could increase the overall capacity by more than five thousand or so, if the hospitality stuff is as important to them as I think it will be.

I'd be in favour of either option, but a move anywhere else is out of the question, indeed I've never heard anyone mention they'd be in favour of that. Don't know why it comes up so often from those who are adamantly against moving, to be honest :dontknow:

Exactly. People keep coming out with this overly-emotional stuff about moving away from the city centre. It's simply never going to happen. The owners know that the club's primary & unique power lies in the fact that it has a stadium in the heart of the city. They are not going to wreck that.

Edited by Wandy

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Oh right. :rolleyes:

If we were to canvass the global fanbase I doubt it would be clear cut in favour of moving. I think there's a lot of evidence out there which indicates that a massive part of the appeal of these institutions is their history and culture; the stadium obviously being a significant part of that.

Don't get me wrong, I am in full agreement that the majority of the fanbase at large will pick option 2. I just think that the study will show that the current SJP will never allow the club to reach it's potential and therefore keep up with the other footballing elite.

I don't think people realise how big the game might be about to become. The PL is now the unofficial Super League and the top clubs within it could become "Super Clubs". If we want to be one of them, then there may need to be some compromises accepted by the fanbase.

Edited by Wandy

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Don't get me wrong, I am in full agreement that the majority of the fanbase at large will pick option 2. I just think that the study will show that the current SJP will never allow the club to reach it's potential and therefore keep up with the other footballing elite.

I don't think people realise how big the game might be about to become. The PL is now the unofficial Super League and the top clubs within it could become "Super Clubs". If we want to be one of them, then there may need to be some compromises accepted by the fanbase.

I think that's another reason why I'm so averse tbh. I can't really abide that sense of elitism and feel uncomfortable about us joining a club that, from the outside, I have so reviled.

I get that that's not a particularly progressive viewpoint though and is essentially synonymous with 'I hate change'.

sorry if this has already been discussed, but what's the significance in a feasibility study? I take it it goes beyond just having an architect look at it, and it's things like speaking to the council etc?

4 minutes ago, Big River said:

sorry if this has already been discussed, but what's the significance in a feasibility study? I take it it goes beyond just having an architect look at it, and it's things like speaking to the council etc?

You'd think so, given the significance of the potential scheme and it's implications on housing, economy, heritage, etc. By all accounts they've got a relationship with key officers already. They might do a pre-application, where they take a proposal to the council and get a written opinion on whether their scheme stands any chance at all of being accepted, but they'd have to come forward with a fairly advanced idea in that case, and they may not be there yet. 

Hi all. Lurker turned poster with their first comment, couldn’t resist an opinion on this.

I’m all for progress and ensuring we can provide space for everyone but I’m against a move out of town. Just like all the shops moving to out of town developments these days we end up with dead feeling town centres. I hope we look into every single imaginable possibility to stay where we are and expand - it’s not just an iconic stadium and location it’s now one of the few iconic old stadiums and it’s location is just incredible.

I was born in the South to parents from the area and every school holiday we’d drive up to stay with family. Seeing the stadium as we drove in was like a footballing version of Mont Saint-Michel or something. Where I live now there are lots of West Ham and Ipswich fans and both always say to me that it’s the best away ground to go to for impact and for a match day experience.

I hope with the money and connections our owners have they can find a very smart architect who can provide something innovative to solve the issues the ground and area has. 

I’d rather play somewhere else for 3 or 4 seasons and have a complete rebuild on the current site to have the best of both possibilities. Incredible new stadium in the incredible old location…but that’s probably pipe dream stuff - not sure I’d want 3 or 4 seasons at the SoL though!

Moving to Leazes Park, essentially a goal kick away from the current stadium, is close enough to our historic home to not make any discernible difference to the match day experience. Although I can be as nostalgic as the next bloke I’ve no more attachment to the current stands, which are by their very nature temporary structures, as I was to the old wooden West Stand which was there when I first went to SJP. Let’s tear it down and start again but stay in the city centre.

4 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Moving to Leazes Park, essentially a goal kick away from the current stadium, is close enough to our historic home to not make any discernible difference to the match day experience. Although I can be as nostalgic as the next bloke I’ve no more attachment to the current stands, which are by their very nature temporary structures, as I was to the old wooden West Stand which was there when I first went to SJP. Let’s tear it down and start again but stay in the city centre.

Agree with this. SJP is unfortunately limited but a new 80-100,000 capacity stadium close by would be amazing. We'd fill it too.

28 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I don't think people realise how big the game might be about to become. The PL is now the unofficial Super League and the top clubs within it could become "Super Clubs". If we want to be one of them, then there may need to be some compromises accepted 

This, reality is the owners want us to a leading club in everything. Ground, global fanbase, merchandise etc.

Also if you look at how the leazes and milburn stand were built for the size compared to modern day stands they are probably under capacity. You do wonder if they build up the east stand would tne ground look a bit of a miss match?

1 minute ago, sempuki said:

Agree with this. SJP is unfortunately limited but a new 80-100,000 capacity stadium close by would be amazing. We'd fill it too.

We wouldn’t fill a 100k stadium 

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

Up to 70k should future proof us.

3 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

We wouldn’t fill a 100k stadium 

Think we would have a good chance to be honest, particularly if we continue to grow. It would probably be 65-70k now if those on the season ticket waiting list are taken into consideration. More would go to the bigger games.

It's a great stadium, but we've outgrown it.  How much does history, etc, matter if you can't get in?

Would rather have a season ticket in a new stadium than watch SJP on telly.

If PIF with their clout and the Reuben brothers with how much land they have in Newcastle can't convince the council/planners to let them do something, I can't guess what that something will be, noone can. 

My only preference is that the ground stays where it is or Leazes Park, and does not end up out of the toon in a trading estate.