Harvey Barnes

khay

Harvey Barnes - 815 mins, 101.87 mins per goal involvement

Anthony Gordon - 2976 mins, 141.71 mins per goal involvement

AG is however streets ahead on most (if not all) key metrics like key passes, successful dribbles, number of times fouled etc. It's a strange one, as he's a good player and slightly different to AG, however I think in hindsight that 40 odd million was perhaps better spent elsewhere. The opportunity clearly presented itself to us in a way that no other deal did. I doubt we said "Hang on, let's sack off that 40m right winger who will improve our first team and sign Harvey Barnes instead".

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

15 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Odd if true. He’s inferior to Gordon in every capacity. Can’t play RW. What did he expect? 

It was an odd signing from us really. I still don’t really see much logic to it unless they were banking on Europe for rotation. 

It was about not starting on Saturday with Gordon coming back late.

Calm down.

2 things here. Howe doesn't rotate, ever, and Barnes isn't good enough to be in our best XI unless we play Gordon in his weaker position on the right.

His injury didn't help his cause, but for me he's always been a signing we didn't need. 

It's no doubt he's a good player Barnes, and if he started majority of games like he has elsewhere, he'd be getting 10+ prem goals. Just we have Gordon LW who offers something different, and how Howe sets the team up, only one can play. Do feel though Howe must be close to giving serious consideration playing Gordon RW if we don't sign a RW, so Barnes then starts more. You can't be spending £40m on a top end output guy and have him on bench more often than on the pitch.

Just a question in that scenario, would that annoy Gordon? I personally don't think it would, as Gordon showed under Carsley he's happy to play anywhere to benefit the team and he trusts the manager. 

5 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

AG is however streets ahead on most (if not all) key metrics like key passes, successful dribbles, number of times fouled etc. It's a strange one, as he's a good player and slightly different to AG, however I think in hindsight that 40 odd million was perhaps better spent elsewhere. The opportunity clearly presented itself to us in a way that no other deal did. I doubt we said "Hang on, let's sack off that 40m right winger who will improve our first team and sign Harvey Barnes instead".

Also, the 8 penalties AG got us last season are probably not part of the goal involvement stat.

52 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Apparently wasn't happy he didn't start on Saturday having been around and playing throughout pre season.

Can't lie, I was surprised about it too, with Gordon going straight in having come back later, after the Euros.

He didn’t exactly make himself undroppable preseason. Lots of unforced errors and poor touches. 

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It was about not starting on Saturday with Gordon coming back late.

Calm down.

Wasn’t exactly seething mind [emoji38]

5 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Those stats show why we signed Barnes as well though, because we needed more goals in the front line. Of course it’s awkward that he plays the same position as Gordon, but we do need a squad. 

No doubt for me Gordon is the better player. We should have 2 players fighting for each position and also to come off the bench. If Barnes wants to play, play better and take your chances when you do come on. :lol:

That said if he starts whinging I wouldn't mind selling him for a bit more than we paid for him only so we can spend more, as player trading seems to help PSR.

Just now, nortoon said:

No doubt for me Gordon is the better player. We should have 2 players fighting for each position and also to come off the bench. If Barnes wants to play, play better and take your chances when you do come on. :lol:

That said if he starts whinging I wouldn't mind selling him for a bit more than we paid for him only so we can spend more, as player trading seems to help PSR.

Be lucky to see half of what we paid and a massive sub on his wages.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Be lucky to see half of what we paid and a massive sub on his wages.

You're probably right. I just dont really see us needing to do things very differently. If you have to prioritize one player it has to be Gordon. But that being said I'm sure Barnes will get plenty of chances this season. It was probably a bit easier keeping him happy with european football and the added matches.

In hindsight it was a poor signing IMO, 5 decent options on the left now and 2 on the right that realistically wouldn't start for the majority of teams in the prem.

5 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

He didn’t exactly make himself undroppable preseason. Lots of unforced errors and poor touches. 

Yeah, but could see why he would have been hoping to start against a newly promoted team, while Gordon was still getting up to speed.

Especially as he knows once Gordon is at full pelt, he won't be getting many starts.

Quality player annoyed at not starting a football game shocker.

Its basically a non-story and continues the trend of journalists trying to shit stir to add an air of negativity to the club at the start of this season.

1 minute ago, jackflap said:

In hindsight it was a poor signing IMO, 5 decent options on the left now and 2 on the right that realistically wouldn't start for the majority of teams in the prem.

I'm guessing some of the left-sided "options", aren't as good a LW, as Gordon is RW?

1 minute ago, jackflap said:

Huh? He'd start for the majority of teams like :lol: 

16 minutes ago, jackflap said:

5 options on the left?

I wouldn't count Isak as a real option on the left.. He is much better as a striker, and we need him there anyways. Especially when Wilson is out. Big Joe seems settled in the middle. It's just Gordon and Barnes pretty much, isn't it?

Edited by Erikse

If we didn't need another LW then what do we do when we sub Gordon, or he is injured?

Barnes clearly contributes, but not as much as the starting LW. Seems straightforward to me.

Edited by Fatwax