Harvey Barnes

khay

Both are strongest at LW, both still a threat from RW. Just quite simple to play both, and have them rotate during the game depending on how things are going.

Just comes down to IMO, if Howe wants to start both and lose the impact off the bench. Which if that was his mindset, I’d be proper disappointed.

Think my bias is towards them both switching sides, with Barnes biased towards the right, as Kaka is saying.

Barnes has the fire in him to make it work at the moment, while Gordon looks like he's still building up a head of steam. Plus Barnes seems to marry well with Livramento, assuming he's overall going to be our main RB.

2 hours ago, Sibierski said:

Both are strongest at LW, both still a threat from RW. Just quite simple to play both, and have them rotate during the game depending on how things are going.

Just comes down to IMO, if Howe wants to start both and lose the impact off the bench. Which if that was his mindset, I’d be proper disappointed.

I wonder if we'd be saying that had Barnes not got injured and possibly played more and Gordon had his break out season on the right where he actually started for us when he first came 

28 minutes ago, 80 said:

Think my bias is towards them both switching sides, with Barnes biased towards the right, as Kaka is saying.

Barnes has the fire in him to make it work at the moment, while Gordon looks like he's still building up a head of steam. Plus Barnes seems to marry well with Livramento, assuming he's overall going to be our main RB.

Is that based on all Barnes's experience on the right ?

3 hours ago, Sibierski said:

Bit of an indictment of Miggy and Murphy if they can't be considered to have impact off the bench but not every subs bench is going to have someone of Barne's quality.

33 minutes ago, madras said:

I wonder if we'd be saying that had Barnes not got injured and possibly played more and Gordon had his break out season on the right where he actually started for us when he first came 

Did he? Remember him being on the left almost all the while. With the odd game on the right. Got Brentford in my head, for some reason? 

I'd prefer him left of the two but Barnes played RW quite a bit earlier in his career. In his goal comps he pops up in quite a few different positions and has finishes on both feet. 

Saw a goal he scored for West Brom on his left, extremely similar to this weekend's.

Extremely underrated footballer.

21 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Did he? Remember him being on the left almost all the while. With the odd game on the right. Got Brentford in my head, for some reason? 

On the right at Brentford and Bournemouth. I'm sure he was subbed at half time after being poor starting on the left , Southampton ?

11 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I'd prefer him left of the two but Barnes played RW quite a bit earlier in his career. In his goal comps he pops up in quite a few different positions and has finishes on both feet. 

Saw a goal he scored for West Brom on his left, extremely similar to this weekend's.

Extremely underrated footballer.

You see, that's what I've been asking. I remember Gordon playing right and being impressed but all my memories of Barnes are on the left.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

On the right at Brentford and Bournemouth. I'm sure he was subbed at half time after being poor starting on the left , Southampton ?

If you can be arsed to go back and look at the lineups. Then be my guest :lol: but I barely remember him playing on the right for us. Less than 5 times, at a guess? 

I think he did play there for Everton, mind and if it was my decision on who plays there and out Gordon and Barnes. Then I would put Gordon on the right, for sure. 

I’m sure they can interchange. Isak has often had spells in games where he ends up playing off the left. It’s not like we have a really rigid formation. 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm thinking it's that you liked Gordon last season on the left so in your mind it's hard to move him.

Of course I liked him, he was one of the top left wingers in Europe last season. So I'm definitely disinclined to disturb that while he's still playing his way back into form and - I suspect - stabilizing his mindset after all the disruption over the summer.

Whereas Barnes looks hungry to make the best of every opportunity put in front of him, is two footed enough to try something different, and has a playing style that seems to dovetail well with Livramento's give and go wingplay.

Feel like Gordon could do a better job on the right and that Barnes is the most in form player at the moment and should be prioritized to get his preffered position.

Dont know about rotating them, think its better to just have one player get some time to get accustomed to the position.

From a month ago ...

Barnes must first force his way into the starting XI, which will not be straightforward.

Anthony Gordon scored 11 goals and provided 10 assists in the Premier League last season and he, like Barnes, prefers to play on the left wing.

The pair did start together towards the end of last season, with Gordon switching over to the right, and they formed a devastating front three with Isak. But Howe is hoping to recruit a right-winger this summer, meaning Barnes and Gordon may be competing for a solitary starting spot on the left.

“It drives me on,” Barnes says of watching Gordon excel in his position. “Ant came in and did really well, then it’s tough to get back in. That is how football goes.

“We both prefer the left but we can play in different positions and be fluid within the formation we play. There’ll be a lot of games this year in which you see players moving and playing in different positions. That can all work naturally.”

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5660140/2024/08/05/harvey-barnes-newcastle-interview/

There’s just no argument at this point for continuing to start Murphy or Miggy while Barnes and Gordon are fit. Even if one of them is playing in their weaker position it’s still a massive step up from the other options on the right wing 

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

There’s just no argument at this point for continuing to start Murphy or Miggy while Barnes and Gordon are fit. Even if one of them is playing in their weaker position it’s still a massive step up from the other options on the right wing 

I agree completely.

I'm just glad more people are seeing this, because it wasn't long ago there was a fair bit of disagreement on it.

Having Gordon or Barnes on the bench at this point is really harsh on either of them. They are both too good, and the alternatives really hold us back a fair bit.

5 hours ago, gbandit said:

Just the fact that we can make the opposition right back’s life so much more uncomfortable by switching from one lethal player to another, both with different weapons at their disposal, merits including them both over sacrificing the right wint spot altogether. Plus I think both are perfectly capable of playing right wing efficiently at times during a game.

I remember Robson making it work with Dyer and Solano as wingers.

He would even switch them around during the game to get the best of what ever fullback was playing.

Say the RB is getting the best of Gordon, we flip it for 15 mins and see how they cope with Barnes

Think I’d start with Gordon on the right and switch perhaps for 10/ 20 mins during the match to mix it up.

I’d worry moving Barnes to the right will take away his goal threat whereas Gordon isn’t the goal taker Barnes is and would still be able to produce chances from the right. Gordon doesn’t score that goal against Wolves, Barnes might well have put the ball inside the post when Gordon hit the post (obvs assuming he could have made that chance).