Lewis Hall

Paully

I feel like they don't like what they see and they don't want to make him permanent. 

It seems there's no confirmation of obligation to buy with reference to "performance based criteria". 

Reminds me of the old random loans of yore.

Edited by La Parka

1 hour ago, La Parka said:

I feel like they don't like what they see and they don't want to make him permanent. 

It seems there's no confirmation of obligation to buy with reference to "performance based criteria". 

Reminds me of the old random loans of yore.

It was reported everywhere as an obligation to buy.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Interesting, maybe he isn’t being used because we don’t fancy him then. Obviously still very early in the season mind, but him not getting off the bench the last 3 games was a bit strange.

I still maintain that it's not that strange for Howe. If we go 2 or 3 up, I'm sure he'll come on.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I still maintain that it's not that strange for Howe. If we go 2 or 3 up, I'm sure he'll come on.

Agreed - Howe doesn’t do rotation very well imo and I read nothing but that in it.

Just now, Gawalls said:

Agreed - Howe doesn’t do rotation very well imo and I read nothing but that in it.

Not bringing him off the bench for even ten minutes in the last 3 games when we have been desperate for a sub is a bit strange imo. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Not bringing him off the bench for even ten minutes in the last 3 games when we have been desperate for a sub is a bit strange imo. 

Agreed. I have nothing to offer for that to be honest.

Guest reefatoon

It’s clear Eddie can’t stand left backs. He’d rather play right backs and centre backs there than Lewis, Matt and Paul. Was obviously filled in by a bunch of left backs in his early days.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I agree but he has form for that. He left Livramento on the bench for 90 minutes when Wolves were killing our fullbacks for 20 minutes straight. Livramento barely got a kick in the league unless we were 2 or 3 up until the injuries piled up. I've seen Dan Burn have stinker after stinker with a fit Matt Targett on the bench and Howe refusing to sub Burn. Isak dead on his feet for 40 minutes against PSG - no substitution.

It's not like he's using 4 or 5 subs a game and not picking Hall. He's rarely making subs and when he is - it's Matt Ritchie.

It's not out of character for Howe so I'm not overly concerned.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, Anderson said:

IIRC, there has to be some built in clause of this nature in order for us to defer the fee to next year for FFP. Would imagine it'll be something that's essentially a formality in terms of being triggered.

Follows what I read at the time. It's just a FFP thing - we will sign him and are obligated too.

FWIW I don't expect rotation against Spurs either. If he does - it will be a departure from Howe's style. Unless it's 2 "purples" (Isak/Wilson, Longstaff/Tonali) he's never rotated in a competitive PL game iirc.

37 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree but he has form for that. He left Livramento on the bench for 90 minutes when Wolves were killing our fullbacks for 20 minutes straight. Livramento barely got a kick in the league unless we were 2 or 3 up until the injuries piled up. I've seen Dan Burn have stinker after stinker with a fit Matt Targett on the bench and Howe refusing to sub Burn. Isak dead on his feet for 40 minutes against PSG - no substitution.

It's not like he's using 4 or 5 subs a game and not picking Hall. He's rarely making subs and when he is - it's Matt Ritchie.

It's not out of character for Howe so I'm not overly concerned.

He does but this is an unprecedented injury crisis combined with an unprecedented fixture list in Howe's time here. 

Looking at his gametime more closely, Hall's made 5 appearances. He's started 4 games and in 3 of them he was hooked at half time. That's not typical of Howe at all. In fact I'd say it's quite unlike Howe to do that. His only other appearance he got 74 minutes and scored at Old Trafford.

3 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

He does but this is an unprecedented injury crisis combined with an unprecedented fixture list in Howe's time here. 

Looking at his gametime more closely, Hall's made 5 appearances. He's started 4 games and in 3 of them he was hooked at half time. That's not typical of Howe at all. In fact I'd say it's quite unlike Howe to do that. His only other appearance he got 74 minutes and scored at Old Trafford.

He was poor in those other games.  Which is why he’s not trusted. Which is why he’s not getting any minutes.  Matt Targett was in the same boat. 

A lot of our players have had a poor 45 minutes (Burn countless times) and have recovered second half. Two of the three games he was hooked were Man City home and Dortmund away. The other was Bournemouth where the whole team were poor throughout. He's 18. I do wonder if there may be something contractual in this. 

Edit: he's 19

Edited by ohmelads

1 hour ago, ohmelads said:

A lot of our players have had a poor 45 minutes (Burn countless times) and have recovered second half. Two of the three games he was hooked were Man City home and Dortmund away. The other was Bournemouth where the whole team were poor throughout. He's 18. I do wonder if there may be something contractual in this. 

Edit: he's 19

The difference is Burn has Howe’s trust. Hall doesn’t.  When Howe trusts a player - he backs him. Tonali cost £60m but Howe dropped him out in the league in favour of someone he trusted. He didn’t start a league game after the allegations came out and he was likely to get a ban when he arguably should have to give the other lads a rest.  

Hall is 19, so Howe is in no rush to get him minutes.  

Edited by The College Dropout

Hindsight is 20/20 but would've been a good idea to give Trips some rest yesterday and let the youngster have at it. We know Hall is capable of filling in for a game here and there. I'm sorry to say last night was very predictable, someone else said it but it had Bournemouth 2.0 written all over it before it began.

And it's not an indictment against Trips, the guy is incredible, but he's old and clearly needs a rest every now and again. At a minimum, Hall should've had a half last night.

Edit to say that I of course mean Hall on left Tino shifts over to the right

Edited by Upthemags

He’s barely been used during an injury crisis which has seen our other two LBs injured. The League Cup aside I can’t envisage him getting many more minutes this season.

He’s nowhere near Howe’s starting plans so I’m not sure why we’d sign him then loan him out somewhere (which is clearly what he needs) when FFP implies it’ll potentially cost us someone closer to being able to contribute.