Lewis Hall

Paully

He’s clearly got talent whilst on the ball, but he seems to be lacking off it.

He has been caught being too tight and getting done by one-twos around him. He was also suspect in one on ones and doesn’t seem that positionally disciplined, which I suspect he doesn’t have the licence to be.

I think for that reason Howe doesn’t fully trust him yet, but he probably expects to be able to coach that side of his game

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Think he's just another player going through his own process with us and, just like with other players who've come in and not hit the ground running, the same questions will be asked. 

Really don't have any concerns tbh. It would be ideal to have a ready made left back worth £70m plus, but because we can't do that, getting one in who's widely tipped to be that in a year or two is the next best thing.

This isn't nearly dramatic enough.

10 hours ago, madras said:

I wouldn't say they have to earn minutes but they do have to be ready, physically and mindset, that goes for Bruno, Botman et al. Tonali only started the started due to Longstaff and Willock being out. Isak because Wilson was out.

Halls a talented kid but's still just getting to terms with what we want/need.

Those lads are all experienced pro's signed for big money. And even some of those started on the bench. Hall is 19 - there's no rush.

Livramento is older, more experienced, excellent during every appearance, much more of a Prem proven player.. and he still spent a lot of time on the bench. Too much time IMO - I was upset when he didn't get on at Wolves. I was annoyed at Howe because i felt he had no faith in the young lads. It's taken an injury crisis to give Livramento/Hall a chance.

When given the opportunity, Hall hasn't really taken it. Which is why Livramento has overtaken him at LB. While I would like Howe to be more proactive in rotation and resting players - all the evidence I've seen from him suggests that's not the case just yet. So Hall being on the bench and barely playing is just typical Howe. I've seen the same thing with Matt Targett. Targett had a poorish 70 minutes against Brighton and didn't play again in the league until Burn's injury.

So I'm not worried about Hall. He's 19. He'll get his opportunity again, probably next weekend and if he plays well, he'll play much more going forward.

I just hope regardless - when player's are fit. Howe rotates the players more just to keep them fit and fresh. 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Those lads are all experienced pro's signed for big money. And even some of those started on the bench. Hall is 19 - there's no rush.

Livramento is older, more experienced, excellent during every appearance, much more of a Prem proven player.. and he still spent a lot of time on the bench. Too much time IMO - I was upset when he didn't get on at Wolves. I was annoyed at Howe because i felt he had no faith in the young lads. It's taken an injury crisis to give Livramento/Hall a chance.

When given the opportunity, Hall hasn't really taken it. Which is why Livramento has overtaken him at LB. While I would like Howe to be more proactive in rotation and resting players - all the evidence I've seen from him suggests that's not the case just yet. So Hall being on the bench and barely playing is just typical Howe. I've seen the same thing with Matt Targett. Targett had a poorish 70 minutes against Brighton and didn't play again in the league until Burn's injury.

So I'm not worried about Hall. He's 19. He'll get his opportunity again, probably next weekend and if he plays well, he'll play much more going forward.

I just hope regardless - when player's are fit. Howe rotates the players more just to keep them fit and fresh. 

Can we really say Hall's been "given an opportunity"? Smashed an incredible volley in what was almost a debut appearance for us, held his own against the fastest winger in germany in the Champions League even with a bogus yellow card in his pocket.

I just don't really buy this. Hall, at the very least, has played no worse than the rest of the squad's dreadful form at the moment, most obviously Trippier's. Even Ritchie seems to be higher up the totem pole than Hall. Fact is Eddie could've played hall on the left and slotted Tino to his natural RB, and I'm very confident we would've been more competitive yesterday. I love Eddie, but I think the trusting culture he's developed with his favorites has hurt him at times - if Burn doesn't go down, do we even see Tino start a game this season?

I agree with your overall point. It has taken a genuine injury crisis for Livramento to get a proper opportunity in the league. 

Hall started those 2 games and was hooked at HT because he wasn’t very good in either.  Gordon was the same when he had those poor 45 minutes against Brentford and Villa I think it was. I agree he hasn’t been given tons of opportunities and could have been brought off the bench more. But I don’t think he should’ve started away at Goodson Park. That wasn’t the best route to victory. And Howe has never rotated for the sake of it unless it’s in the front 6. 

19 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Can we really say Hall's been "given an opportunity"? Smashed an incredible volley in what was almost a debut appearance for us, held his own against the fastest winger in germany in the Champions League even with a bogus yellow card in his pocket.

I just don't really buy this. Hall, at the very least, has played no worse than the rest of the squad's dreadful form at the moment, most obviously Trippier's. Even Ritchie seems to be higher up the totem pole than Hall. Fact is Eddie could've played hall on the left and slotted Tino to his natural RB, and I'm very confident we would've been more competitive yesterday. I love Eddie, but I think the trusting culture he's developed with his favorites has hurt him at times - if Burn doesn't go down, do we even see Tino start a game this season?

He's given an opportunity every day in training.

45 minutes ago, madras said:

He's given an opportunity every day in training.

That's the best explanation I can come up with. That it's the off pitch demeanor which is holding him back. Otherwise I don't know as I agree that he hasn't done that badly in his cameos - certainly not hook him off at half time bad.

I personally think Hall is still acclimatising to Eddie Howe's set up.

The lad is only 19 and will get better and better, enough for him to be trusted to play a number of games this season, assuming there is an obligation to buy that does not hinge on certain games played, because if that was the case then it could be deliberate omittance.

I'd like to think we keep him and work on him.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with your overall point. It has taken a genuine injury crisis for Livramento to get a proper opportunity in the league. 

And I afraid once Burn gets back, Livramento will sit on the bench again. 

Extremely bizarre this in fairness. He’s obviously not been taken away by Hall either in his performances or training. He looked an amazing prospect for Chelsea and I’d have expected him to develop really well under Howe. Something’s clearly off

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Extremely bizarre this in fairness. He’s obviously not been taken away by Hall either in his performances or training. He looked an amazing prospect for Chelsea and I’d have expected him to develop really well under Howe. Something’s clearly off

I think we got him to play left back and I’m guessing he isn’t suited to playing left back in Howes system as we imagined. 

8 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

What did Howe actually say?

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye. We knew Howe wasn’t enthralled with his performance/training but this quote is a definite marker. He must know what the criteria is so it’s just a weird one. 

FWIW I don’t think Hall looked ‘an amazing prospect for Chelsea’.  Tino looked amazing for Soton.  Hall looked a talented player but not PL ready or owt. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What did Howe actually say?

Aye. We knew Howe wasn’t enthralled with his performance/training but this quote is a definite marker. He must know what the criteria is so it’s just a weird one. 

FWIW I don’t think Hall looked ‘an amazing prospect for Chelsea’.  Tino looked amazing for Soton.  Hall looked a talented player but not PL ready or owt. 

I think for his age he looked very good. Sure, he wasn’t on Tino’s level but the Chelsea fans were absolutely gutted that he was leaving which normally tells you a lot. 

I still think he looks like a very good player but maybe it’s that Howe isn’t sure about how to get the most out of him, like @r0cafella says. I think attitude is massive for Howe and I wonder whether something’s been lacking there as I don’t think he’d come out with these quotes if Hall was putting absolutely everything in but that’s just mindless speculation on my part

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think for his age he looked very good. Sure, he wasn’t on Tino’s level but the Chelsea fans were absolutely gutted that he was leaving which normally tells you a lot. 

I still think he looks like a very good player but maybe it’s that Howe isn’t sure about how to get the most out of him, like @r0cafella says. I think attitude is massive for Howe and I wonder whether something’s been lacking there as I don’t think he’d come out with these quotes if Hall was putting absolutely everything in but that’s just mindless speculation on my part

Only a tiny shit stir, but on a recent player Q&A thing they were asked who arrives to training last and one of them said Hall, the other two said Willock ("although to be fair that's because he's injured")

Edited by Kid Icarus