Lewis Hall

Paully

55 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

If you want to understand what's happening with Lewis Hall look no further than a diminutive Scot who's never wished anybody harm, and is now kicking up a storm on the south coast for Southampton. Yes I'm talking about Ryan Fraser, who once had the temerity to try on a pair of boots half a size too large and was ruthlessly punished for it. This iteration of Eddie Howe at least seems to need a leper, a pariah, an outcast who the other players can look at and say 'there but for the grace of God', and after spurning 'the Scottish Messi' it turns out Lewis Hall was next on the chopping block. He's a mild-mannered lad who gives it his all, but nothing he does is ever good enough, and he gets no minutes and no chances as a sort of perennial kick up the backside of the other players.

good point. Probably the first sensible thing you’ve said all day. 

53 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

good point. Probably the first sensible thing you’ve said all day. 

Not sure about the "Scottish Messi" bit though[emoji38]

7 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Gordon showed some flashes of brilliance and actually played a lot in comparison, though. 

Hall has been here all season and seems further from the first team than he did at the start of it. When everyone was fit. 

Be a shit forum if everyone kept their mouth shut and didn’t speculate or voice any concerns :lol: 

Gordon started 4 matches last season, Hall has started 1 in a much more competitive position. Regardless it didn't stop the complaining about Gordon's lack of goals and assists (I remember the amount of times it had to be brought up that he'd put it on a plate for Wilson a few times only for him to miss), and the same "what's the point in signing him if we're not going to play him?" point being made. 

And again, no one is being told to keep their mouth shut, I just wonder why they don't in those circumstances, or at least be a bit more patient and open minded when we know what Howe's like now.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Gordon started 4 matches last season, Hall has started 1 in a much more competitive position. Regardless it didn't stop the complaining about Gordon's lack of goals and assists (I remember the amount of times it had to be brought up that he'd put it on a plate for Wilson a few times only for him to miss), and the same "what's the point in signing him if we're not going to play him?" point being made. 

And again, no one is being told to keep their mouth shut, I just wonder why they don't in those circumstances, or at least be a bit more patient and open minded when we know what Howe's like now.

12 sub apps as well, which I’m sure were more than 5 minutes here and there, from memory. Didn’t he also get an ankle injury early on that kept him out for 3-4 weeks? Plus he joined mid-season and was trying to get into a team that was playing brilliantly for the most part. 

So because there might be some similarities with the Gordon situation. Who ended up coming good in a big way. You find it odd that people might speculate about Hall? About his ability, whether Howe rates him, the lack of minutes across the board, the transfer fee and what the criteria might be and whatever else people are commenting on. 

I totally see why people might be intrigued. 

18 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

12 sub apps as well, which I’m sure were more than 5 minutes here and there, from memory. Didn’t he also get an ankle injury early on that kept him out for 3-4 weeks? Plus he joined mid-season and was trying to get into a team that was playing brilliantly for the most part. 

So because there might be some similarities with the Gordon situation. Who ended up coming good in a big way. You find it odd that people might speculate about Hall? About his ability, whether Howe rates him, the lack of minutes across the board, the transfer fee and what the criteria might be and whatever else people are commenting on. 

I totally see why people might be intrigued. 

You're talking about speculation, I'm talking about confident assertions basically. I do find it odd that people are so sure of themselves in the same way again having got it wrong in the same way just recently, aye.

At this stage no one knows, so this stuff about us "obviously not fancying him" (just one of many similar posts) is daft, especially having seen Gordon's journey and knowing how Eddie only plays players when he knows they can be trusted.

Edited by Kid Icarus

You’re just linking the Gordon case to this as if it somehow means they’re the same. So it is more than likely just Howe not trusting him in the system yet.

Are we all not just speculating at this point and don’t know all the ins and outs. What’s wrong with that? I don’t see the parallels with Gordon, personally. You do, which is fine. 

Apologies if I have misinterpreted what you’re getting at. But that’s how it comes across. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

You’re just linking the Gordon case to this as if it somehow means they’re the same. So it is more than likely just Howe not trusting him in the system yet.

Are we all not just speculating at this point and don’t know all the ins and outs. What’s wrong with that? I don’t see the parallels with Gordon, personally. You do, which is fine. 

Apologies if I have misinterpreted what you’re getting at. But that’s how it comes across. 

It just means the people who are coming out with the same assertions they had about Gordon and were completely wrong, have no humility and seemingly haven't learned anything about what a player not playing or performing under Howe might mean beyond "Howe doesn't rate the him" - the player we'll have scouted extensively and he agreed we should spend £30m+ on.

Read the last few pages back yourself, it's not at all the speculation I'm on about like, it's the jumping to conclusions about what him not playing means, to me it's just daft.

Also, none of the speculation seems to be around whether a 19 year old defender just isn't ready to give what's expected of him yet. 

It's all about whether Howe fancies him, triggering transfers, why we paid so much, FFP, how it's a weird transfer etc.

There hasn't been much else expected than to step on the pitch and be part of a losing side for a good while though. Surely anyone can do that :lol:

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

There hasn't been much else expected than to step on the pitch and be part of a losing side for a good while though. Surely anyone can do that :lol:

Above Matt Ritchie of all people.

It’s worth questioning both sides, @Kid Icarus you know that man. Yes nobody knows shit about what’s going on but Howe a few weeks ago was all confident in Hall’s talent and all that and then barely uses him over that same period, despite an injury situation, and then yesterday is completely coy over anything about it. Anyone who is a fan of our club should be a bit curious why he’s not featuring or what’s really going on here. 

He’s played 104 minutes for us in the league, during an unprecedented injury crisis and we are going to pay 35 million for him in the summer. Don’t think it’s surprising there are a few questions around him.

Of course people are curious about what’s going on with Hall. You’d be stupid not to, frankly. He can’t even get a few minutes ahead of Ritchie in a position Hall has played in. To suggest there’s nothing in it is willful ignorance.

As to what it is exactly, I have no idea. It’s odd. Gordon certainly had more opportunities in his first half season even though he didn’t show much. 

It might be that Hall is particularly poor in training. Maybe, despite looking half decent for Chelsea he’s actually crap. Maybe EH never wanted him and he’s making a point. Maybe it’s thing with the fee. Whatever it is he’s occupying a space on the subs bench for no apparent reason. Something with this transfer, given the size of the fee, has gone amiss. 

There’s nothing wrong with people on a message board guessing. That’s the fun of it. If someone turns out to be right, it still would’ve been a guess. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

No need to repeat the same posts again. Suffice to say I wasn't posting about curiosity/asking questions/speculation and I said that in those posts themselves.

Literally the next post:

Something with this transfer, given the size of the fee, has gone amiss

But aye, there's nothing particularly out of the ordinary about an 18/19 year old defender not immediately getting game time, especially when he's looked shakey defensively when given a chance.

Regardless of whether there's any truth behind the guesses, there's "something isn't right here", "the board have massively misjudged this one", "we should have done x instead" at every opportunity.

I wouldn't be suprised if some people were lighting candles and wishing in wells for Gordon to be shite.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Literally the next post:

But aye, there's nothing particularly out of the ordinary about an 18/19 year old defender not immediately getting game time, especially when he's looked shakey defensively when given a chance.

Regardless of whether there's any truth behind the guesses, there's "something isn't right here", "the board have massively misjudged this one", "we should have done x instead" at every opportunity.

I wouldn't be suprised if some people were lighting candles and wishing in wells for Gordon to be shite.

Alright Lewis, how you doin?

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Literally the next post:

It’s a message board, relax.

If Hall was bought in by the board and howe doesn't entertain playing him maybe that's why we haven't been active this window. Trust issues most managers nowadays get players giving to them and they work with them. 

Not getting 2 minutes at the end of a 2-0 win and losing out to Matt Ritchie. Yeah I would say something is amiss. It happened in Dortmund, first half, I'm pretty sure. Ever since then he's been persona non grata. There was an earlier post about EH needing a pariah, such as Ryan Fraser. Maybe this is now Hall, which would be a shame given the kid is 17.

Edited by OverThere

I think we are looking too deep into this. It’s just Howe being stubborn and not trusting certain players. We had 3 GKs on the bench at one point. Fatigued fullbacks and a bench full of fullbacks. I love Eddie but we have to take the good with the bad. 

4 hours ago, OverThere said:

Not getting 2 minutes at the end of a 2-0 win and losing out to Matt Ritchie. Yeah I would say something is amiss. It happened in Dortmund, first half, I'm pretty sure. Ever since then he's been persona non grata. There was an earlier post about EH needing a pariah, such as Ryan Fraser. Maybe this is now Hall, which would be a shame given the kid is 17.

It was tripe, man. If it were true he wouldn't even be on the bench.

Edited by 80

3 hours ago, 80 said:

It was tripe, man. If it were true he wouldn't even be on the bench.

The idea that Eddie's engineered new signing and kid Lewis Hall into a sacrificial pariah :lol: He's probably a bit of an odd guy but he's not a fucking psychopath.