Newcastle United vs. Liverpool: 27/08/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

47 minutes ago, Billy Warthog said:

I think there's just too many bad memories for us in these matches which always come to a head when we meet. They did the double over us last season, there's the Keegan-era games, Howe's record against them, there's been controversy etc... it all blends in to an irritation. Significant victories against them seem a while ago now, think the last one at SJP was back in the relegation season of 2015/16? 

I just want today to be cathartic - the confidence we'll gain from a win will be immense. And, considering our opening fixtures, 6 points from 9 would represent a decent start for me. 

But it's easy to talk the talk... hopefully we can bring on what we did v Villa. 

I said before a ball was kicked I'd take 3 from the first 3 like as the minimum we should be aiming for. The fact we got 3 from Villa buoyed me with confidence especially in the manner that we did. I watched Liverpool vs Chelsea and was entirely unimpressed by both sides.

To get a draw today would be an improvement on last season in like for like fixtures. However, I just feel beating these really means they've kinda got to beat us at Anfield (same goes for Villa). (In a theoretical world where we win the games expected, of course.)

Ideally a win this week and a draw vs Brighton and I'd say we've probably exceeded what you'd expect from the opening 4 and with some less difficult games after you'd fancy us to gather some early momentum.

Edited by Heron

Teams expect to win certain games, it's the same everywhere and in every sport. However, it seems to be used in a way that those 'expecting' are delusional whenever it's someone who doesn't fit the narrative the media want to portray.

It's a load of bollocks really. Newcastle fans can fairly realistically expect to beat any of the 15 teams who finished below them last season - why? Because we proved last season to be consistently better than them. Not difficult really, is it?

Of course you're not going to win every game vs teams that finished below you last time out, but given our home record too under Howe, it's hardly unreasonable to suggest we may fancy our chances today.

Edited by Heron

5 minutes ago, Heron said:

Teams expect to win certain games, it's the same everywhere and in every sport. However, it seems to be used in a way that those 'expecting' are delusional whenever it's someone who doesn't fit the narrative the media want to portray.

It's a load of bollocks really. Newcastle fans can fairly realistically expect to beat any of the 15 teams who finished below them last season - why? Because we proved last season to be consistently better than them. Not difficult really, is it?

Of course you're not going to win every game vs teams that finished below you last time our, but given our home record too under Howe, it's hardly unreasonable to suggest we may fancy our chances today.

Shut up man heza, we should win 5-0 today ;)

I certainly expect to win today. Apart from City I’d expect to win every home game. This isn’t Ashley’s NUFC anymore, we’ve got a team that tries, now we want to win. I won’t  be too upset if we lose after putting in a decent performance but we are rubbing shoulders with the big lads now.

1 minute ago, Novocastrian said:

I certainly expect to win today. Apart from City I’d expect to win every home game. This isn’t Ashley’s NUFC anymore, we’ve got a team that tries, now we want to win. I won’t  be too upset if we lose after putting in a decent performance but we are rubbing shoulders with the big lads now.

IMG_0143.gif.cd6a0eb5a107aef5045b854cf76784f3.gif

My brother is a Liverpool supporter. He’s convinced there is a revitalized rivalry from our Keegan era and Sir Bobby era. My mate who’s 20 years my senior says the same. 

Klopp’s obsession with name checking us + them doing us twice last season with the away result still angering me is probably what fuels me. 

I don't believe there's a true rivalry either, really. Both sides have to feel the same 'edge' to the fixture and I'd wager that, for Liverpool fans, Newcastle home and away are just like any other dates in the calendar. 

Ergo there isn't actually that many that aren't just manufactured by media coverage. The only rivalry we have, in the purest sense of the word, is Sunderland imo. Maybe Man Utd but again, from their point of view they probably wouldn't agree. 

5 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Or Sean Is on the bench! Therefore in the team! 

https://instagram.com/stories/joelinton34/3178478345599277021?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Not sure that Sean’s tweet means anything as Joelinton has the pre-match Instagram Story up too (screenshot file size was too large to upload) :indi:

Edited by Robson Wonderland

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I don't believe there's a true rivalry either, really. Both sides have to feel the same 'edge' to the fixture and I'd wager that, for Liverpool fans, Newcastle home and away are just like any other dates in the calendar. 

Ergo there isn't actually that many that aren't just manufactured by media coverage. The only rivalry we have, in the purest sense of the word, is Sunderland imo. Maybe Man Utd but again, from their point of view they probably wouldn't agree. 

Also there's probably 2/3x more Liverpool fans on twitter than nufc.

Hence why twitter should be banned.