Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford (16/09/23)

Disco

I think Anderson is fine but I think this is his level for us. Going to be a canny squad player capable of starting 12-15 across all comps and make 20 plus sub apps. Takeover and Howe probably came a couple of years too late in his development. 

If he was 17-18 I'd be thinking he could get to the top. Miley has that bit of extra time to get there for instance. 

Going off the top of my head that must be what, his fourth PL start? In a team clearly a little low on confidence in terms of our on-the-ball play. Thought he gave a decent account of himself and will only get better. 

Actually looking at the highlights Anderson had some great moments, some neat turns and touches.

Ultimately, I think he's a number 10 playing in an 8. He'd much prefer to be playing further up.

A few other notes:

Gordon at times is unplayable, still has inconsistent moments. He's a nightmare for opposition.

Barnes has a high footballing IQ, his decision making is excellent. Always has his head up.

Botman needs wrapped in cotton wool and CB is by far our top priority now.

Burn is slowly losing support for a starting position. I'd suggest that by the end of the season he won't be in the side.

Edited by STM

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone else disappointed with Anderson yesterday ? Thought he was our worst player by a distance. I’m yet to see anything from him to suggest he will be a good premier league player.

Thought Anderson was one of our better players yesterday, was comfortable in everything he did, and certainly wasn't bad by any stretch.

I dont get the hype with Anderson, he looks decent technically but probably still a decent Championship player. 

Was at the match yesterday and thought he was poor, to the point i forgot he was playing

Its fine at the minute as we dont need to register him but i think come next year or two he will be 22-23 and will need to be registered.

He wont play enough to massively improve, most likely a couple of starts and a reasonable amount of sub appearances for maybr 15-20 mins.

Probably could have done with a season at a top half Championship team to develop him and get him plenty game time before he starts being a regular in the squad for us

Edited by NUFC

No-one was going to be a real standout yesterday. 3 loses on the bounce, nervy feeling around the place, it was a just win the game type of scenario. We did that, it was a hard watch but will do wonders for the next few games. 

absolutely weird to single Anderson out for criticism haha. It was his third PL game in reality and his first 90.

I thought he grew into it and did some good stuff. He’s very good at receiving the ball in between the lines on the half turn.

Don’t know why we have stopped playing with intense pressure. Worked so well for us last season:undecided:

I guess it’s a tactic we use this season to sort of counter the low blocks from our opponents. Unfortunately it seems we are unable to take advantage of it in attack. Yesterday’s match was…:sleepy2:

16 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Watched the Gordon pen decision back a few times. It's an absolute stonewall pen in my book. Piss poor from their keeper. Pen all day long.

16 hours ago, McDog said:

Not even up for debate.

Was never a penalty. If that was against us I’d be furious. Think the ref only give it because he made the mistake on the Wilson goal. If anything the second one was ever so slightly more of a penalty but again I thought that was rightly overturned. Would’ve been extremely harsh. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Was never a penalty. If that was against us I’d be furious. Think the ref only give it because he made the mistake on the Wilson goal. If anything the second one was ever so slightly more of a penalty but again I thought that was rightly overturned. Would’ve been extremely harsh. 

If the keeper doesn't come out, Gordon has a chance of keeping the ball in play and keeping the attack alive. Once he'd made up his mind to try and play the ball and tripped Gordon instead, it makes it a stonewaller. 

Just now, joeyt said:

Looked to me like it was the assistant that gave the Gordon penalty

He did. There’s footage of the ref asking him and looking at him as I’m guessing his view was possibly blocked (not certain about that bit mind).

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If the keeper doesn't come out, Gordon has a chance of keeping the ball in play and keeping the attack alive. Once he'd made up his mind to try and play the ball and tripped Gordon instead, it makes it a stonewaller. 

He didn’t trip him though that’s the point. Gordon ran into him.

I mean, if someone's running and you put something in their way so that they run into it and fall over... that's called tripping.

Gordon is not under any obligation to attempt to avoid the challenge.

Potato potato. Gordon has got to the ball first, if the keeper hasn't done what he has, Gordon has the chance to keep the ball in down the byline and play back to Trippier. It's a penalty. 

Screenshot_20230917-144904.thumb.png.76e76a75357603a89b413f67ae7adacc.png

3 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

I mean, if someone's running and you put something in their way so that they run into it and fall over... that's called tripping.

Gordon is not under any obligation to attempt to avoid the challenge.

He didn’t put anything in his way. Gordon ran and angled a backward fall into him. GK can do nothing about it.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

He didn’t put anything in his way. Gordon ran and angled a backward fall into him. GK can do nothing about it.

And that's a clear penalty. Gordon too quick for him and got to the ball first and keeper took him out. Accidental of course but that is a pen.

Edited by Greg

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Potato potato. Gordon has got to the ball first, if the keeper hasn't done what he has, Gordon has the chance to keep the ball in down the byline and play back to Trippier. It's a penalty. 

Screenshot_20230917-144904.thumb.png.76e76a75357603a89b413f67ae7adacc.png

He had absolutely no chance of keeping the ball in.