Sheffield United Vs Newcastle United 24/09/23 @ 16:30 (Sky Sports)

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Also, we’re Wilson, Barnes and Anderson that poor against Brentford or has fatigued kicked in already?

Anderson and Barnes started because Tonali and Almiron picked up knocks on international duty. Wilson started because Isak has been playing with a troubled knee and because he hasn’t scored since Villa. 

what are you not grasping here?

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

10 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

change them when the players performances drop off or they show signs of fatigue. Not when they’ve just done a sterling job of keeping Milan out at the San Siro. 

pretty standard stuff. 

Why would you wait until they are fatigued to rest them? Surely resting them is to prevent fatigue and to ensure they are constantly fresh

1 hour ago, STM said:

You start Livramento ahead of Trippier, in a game where most think we need 3 points?

If Trippier is fit to play, why not just play your best right back?

Same goes for Hall/Burn to an extent. With added problem that Targett is next in line at left back and that Hall is much younger and much greener.

They will get their chance. Be patient

This is why I'm actually looking forward to the League Cup (or whatever it's called nowadays). Hopefully we'll get to see Livramento and co get a run out 😊

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Great idea. Take our captain out when he’s playing well. 

It is a great idea. That way he can continue to play well in future matches against 'harder' opposition.

Plus you show a promising youngster who you've invested heavily in and convinced to join your project that he does have a place here and will get minutes in situations other than when Trippier is injured or banned.

Everyone wins.

For the record I'm not saying specifically rest Trippier today. But we should rest some players today, quite a few of them for my money, and whether today or another day at some point we should voluntarily rest Trippier. It's a squad game and we have lots of matches this year. 

What’s the rush and desperation to see Livramento and Hall? They’ll get game time and they’ll be eased in. There’s no rush at all

the back four played well v Brentford, can’t remember them having a chance apart from the first five minutes when Pope saved from Hickey. It was a backs to the wall performance in the San Siro but they held out. 

two clean sheets on the spin, why change literally half the defence and drop our captain? It seems some people think that just because we played on Wednesday then this automatically means players but be dropped out the side. 

Sheff Utd are there for the taking, keep it as it is. Beat them, rest them v city if needed. 

Just now, Chris_R said:

It is a great idea. That way he can continue to play well in future matches against 'harder' opposition.

Plus you show a promising youngster who you've invested heavily in and convinced to join your project that he does have a place here and will get minutes in situations other than when Trippier is injured or banned.

Everyone wins.

For the record I'm not saying specifically rest Trippier today. But we should rest some players today, quite a few of them for my money, and whether today or another day at some point we should voluntarily rest Trippier. It's a squad game and we have lots of matches this year. 

I’m arguing about the back four only here. The back four is playing well, keep it as it is. Matt1892 is wanting half the back four swapped out including taking our captain out. 

Isak could do with a rest if he’s got a troubled knee. He’s out of form. 

3 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Will the real NUFC please stand up!

We’ve got a squad to deal with this twice a week programme. Give the kids a game against City and play our strongest team today and then give them a week off before Burnley.

I’d actually take a defeat, well maybe I’d take a draw, if it meant we beat City in the cup. 

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Which games don't we need 3 points in this season?

You could say we don't expect to win away Vs Man City, but everyone wanted our strongest XI out there because it was such a hard game. 

Which games do you rotate for by your logic?

FWIW I don't think we will rotate much today, if at all, but I think that's an area Howe needs to look to improve on because it's going to be a bloody long season for the first XI if he doesn't, and we'll have some seriously pissed reserves.

Yeah so I get your point, but my solution would be more organic than forcing unnecessary change.

We have a league cup game midweek which despite what others are saying, isn't a priority whatsoever, so I'd certainly ring the changes for that one.

Other than that, I'd wait for fatigue, poor form or injury to occur before changing things.

I think Howes attitude is to change things when necessary, rather than as a matter of policy and I support this.

Don't worry about those players getting opportunities because they will and if in the unlikely circumstance where they don't get opportunities it's because we've had one hell of a season.

Also don't confusing changing attacking players to be dynamic, because the opposite is true for defenders, you want your defenders to be reliable and predictable.

It's also why I suggested we might see Hall in midfield midweek.

Am not sure it’s always wise to get too deep into team selections. Howe may make some changes not on form or fatigue but based on what he considers the best way to beat them. E.g. This might suit Wilson more than isak, the wide players might reflect their full backs abilities etc

For me this is a more important game than Wednesday. Going out first round of the league cup is fine given the CL commitment and beating Sheffield and Burnley is important for a good league season.