FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

My only worry is that there’s absolutely no pressure on them and one of our players loses his head and gets a red or something. Howe will have them well drilled for this though, he’ll know what that lot will try and do. Play our game and we’ll muller them. Mind there’s every chance one of their mongs gets a red trying to take one of our players out. 

50 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I don't know, I could do without us artificially shoehorning in the Geordie nation like. I don't think for one second Eddie will be putting Longstaff in the team purely because he's likely to be Up For It, but if our winning formula is still a winning formula in a month then I can live with few or no local boys anywhere near the team in all honesty

While this squad is of far greater character, the NUFC team of the early- to mid-10s had plenty of quality footballers who looked like they didn’t get it at all when it came to derby games.  Again, I don’t think this applies to the current side, whose work rate & commitment is beyond question.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Mind there’s every chance one of their mongs gets a red trying to take one of our players out. 

“Loveable scamp”/Absolute clogger bellend Luke O’Nien springs to mind.

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

While this squad is of far greater character, the NUFC team of the early- to mid-10s had plenty of quality footballers who looked like they didn’t get it at all when it came to derby games.  Again, I don’t think this applies to the current side, whose work rate & commitment is beyond question.

Yeah I think Pardew for whatever reason just got those derbies completely wrong. We never played our game and they often wanted it more. The number of local lads in the squad and side with the experienced heads like Lascelles and Trippier means I think we’ll be ok mentally for this and keep our cool. There’ll be the usual mental first 5-10 mins with their crowd going mental but once it settles down we’ll take them apart. Nobody should be underestimating this at all tho.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Maybees I'm doing a bit of self kidology but I'm not overly stressed about the thought of losing to these, in the FA cup. 

Shit happens and it wouldn't be the 1st time a top 1st div/Prem team has been knocked out by a 2nd div/Champo (😂) outfit. 

In many ways we're done with any rivalry and all that's left is bragging rights. There's a Grand Canyon sized vacuum between both clubs futures. 

I'd, literally, be gutted for an hour then bounce right back. 

Also, if we win, I'd be laughing my very cock off

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This. The character, determination and fight Eddie and his team have instilled in his team is unmatched for most teams. We've not seen a level like this for nufc, which means they've never played an nufc like this either. They'll be basing their confidence on nufc of old. A cunt of an owner, a fraud of a manager and a team full of players bought for the shop window. Equally, we faced them when they were fighting for their lives, galvanised each time by new managers desperate to make their mark. 

This game, like most derbies and cup ties is played in the head. We keep ours then it's pretty straight forward.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Maybees I'm doing a bit of self kidology but I'm not overly stressed about the thought of losing to these, in the FA cup. 

Shit happens and it wouldn't be the 1st time a top 1st div/Prem team has been knocked out by a 2nd div/Champo (😂) outfit. 

In many ways we're done with any rivalry and all that's left is bragging rights. There's a Grand Canyon sized vacuum between both clubs futures. 

I'd, literally, be gutted for an hour then bounce right back. 

Also, if we win, I'd be laughing my very cock off

Absolute disaster if we get beat by these sorry like probably go down as one of the worst derby defeats in our history. No need to play this down, it's a massive game and one of the biggest of Howes reign so far.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

First Tyne-Wear derby since 2019 this, when Sunderland played our under 21's in the Papa John's.

And let’s be honest, there’s no greater humiliation than that.  That ‘Sunderland til I die’ documentary is still one of my favourite comedies, but watching the sad cases on that taking them playing our kids and stiffs seriously was better than Del Boy falling through the bar.  

I’ll be nervous about the game, in the sense that there’s always a chance anyone could fluke a result or a jammy goal, but I’m always so confident we will get results because we rarely go out without the correct mindset and tactical plan. They might park the bus against us though which would be interesting. Don’t think their fans will want that tbh.

2 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

I’ll be nervous about the game, in the sense that there’s always a chance anyone could fluke a result or a jammy goal, but I’m always so confident we will get results because we rarely go out without the correct mindset and tactical plan. They might park the bus against us though which would be interesting. Don’t think their fans will want that tbh.

They fancy themselves of some kind of peak barca of the championship from what I read like. They play the best football in the league and everyone sits back against them apparently.

4 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Happy to take them back to SJP, get more players fit and then go at them, especially if out of the League Cup and UCL by that stage.

We  could potentially have Barnes, Longstaff, Willock, Botman and Anderson back by then so in a position to rotate with a bit if strength.

Bit of a shame for Dan Burn and Jacob Murphy though being Newcastle fans. We could have gone into the game with Burn, Murphy, Miley, Hall, Longstaff,  Anderson life long Newcastle fans in the team.

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

They fancy themselves of some kind of peak barca of the championship from what I read like. They play the best football in the league and everyone sits back against them apparently.

They did, and they did play some good stuff at the start of the season but it seems like they've been sussed and they can't change the way they play.