FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

15 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Isn't the game to rest players.

It is when you have much more bigger fish to fry for those regulars.

I'd rather not risk injury or extra burn out to key players if we can field a strong enough back up, which we will be able to by the time of the game, hopefully.

18 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye but I cant remember which one. One of them quit refereeing for a few years after he was allegedly caught performing a sex act on a dog but he's back now. We never get anything off either of them whereas they do seem to favour the mackems in their games. It's just something I've noticed and it does make me wonder.

Robert Madley, I think.

If anyone has listened to yesterday’s Rest is Football podcast, Lineker and Shearer were talking about the game being chosen for TV and it sounds like BBC have first pick, so it’s a straight choice between our game and Arsenal v Liverpool. If they choose that one then we’ll be on ITV.

Shearer obviously pushing for them to pick our game, not that he’ll necessarily have that much sway with the decision makers.

Not that any of this helps give an indication to which day or ko time we’ll get.

1 hour ago, magvicar said:

I'd rather not risk injury or extra burn out to key players if we can field a strong enough back up, which we will be able to by the time of the game, hopefully.

This is one of the biggest games of Howes reign, rest players and get beat and it will be an epic fuck up and unforgivable to some. Need to go full strength, its one game and tbh we should be prioritising the FA and league games anyways,  our only real chance of ending our ridiculously shite trophy record. How many players do you rest? They're only one league below us and will be massively up for the game. Arrogant to think we can field a second string and win.

I do wonder how big this game is for some people now, given how far apart we are and how long it is since we had a meaningful derby. 

Would be very nice to win but it's not like I think about Sunderland from one day to the next. 

That said, I've never been that tribal about football.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

14 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

This is one of the biggest games of Howes reign, rest players and get beat and it will be an epic fuck up and unforgivable to some. Need to go full strength, its one game and tbh we should be prioritising the FA and league games anyways,  our only real chance of ending our ridiculously shite trophy record. How many players do you rest? They're only one league below us and will be massively up for the game. Arrogant to think we can field a second string and win.

If we get past Chelsea in the League Cup and get Liverpool in the next round do people really think playing these clowns away would be more important than that tie? Would say the Milan game is bigger as well, I don't think it's even close to one of his biggest games. I've always been massively up for the derby, but those fuckers are literally irrelevant to us, we barely even get bragging rights since we are so much better than them it's basically a free shot for them. If we make it through to the semi of the League Cup I'm 100% rotating for this game, not the whole 11 but a few for sure, if we aren't in the League Cup still then no need for much rotation at all.

3 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

If we get past Chelsea in the League Cup and get Liverpool in the next round do people really think playing these clowns away would be more important than that tie? Would say the Milan game is bigger as well, I don't think it's even close to one of his biggest games. I've always been massively up for the derby, but those fuckers are literally irrelevant to us, we barely even get bragging rights since we are so much better than them it's basically a free shot for them. If we make it through to the semi of the League Cup I'm 100% rotating for this game, not the whole 11 but a few for sure, if we aren't in the League Cup still then no need for much rotation at all.

Agree with this , yeah it's going to be nice to beat the mackems but I would rather beat Liverpool in the semis of the league cup for example. 

3 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

I think many will likely change their tune when it's a week or two out from the game, loosing to this lot just isn't an option tbh it would be an embarrassment to the club and the fans. Play a weakened team and we definitely run the risk of getting beat.

7 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

I couldn’t disagree more tbh, the hierarchy of importance in terms of games and competition aside, I want us to fucking obliterate them, to completely blow them away…that means I want our strongest team playing in the game. 

2 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

I couldn’t disagree more tbh, the hierarchy of importance in terms of games and competition aside, I want us to fucking obliterate them, to completely blow them away…that means I want our strongest team playing in the game. 

Think some don't appreciate the scale of the game tbh, many on the Sunderland boards claiming they'd rather win this game than get promoted....😅

Edited by WideopenMag

1 minute ago, WideopenMag said:

Think some don't appreciate the scale of the game tbh, many on the Sunderland boards claiming they'd rather win this game than get promoted....😅

Yeah, it’s been a long time since we played them and everyone has a different point of view. 
I’ll admit that I’ve always been very tribal about derbies, Sunderland and Boro I fucking despise and expect the same in return. 

Just now, WideopenMag said:

I know what the game means, been to plenty enough games and did the away game in 2011 when it all kicked off. Nothing hurts more than losing to them and their recent record against us is a disaster. If we have a few players back I'm suggesting something like this (assuming we are still in the Cup):

Liverpool away 

Dubravka
Trippier
Botman
Schar
Livramento
Longstaff
Bruno
Joelington
Miggy
Isak
Gordon

Then vs The Scum

Karius
Livramento
Lascelles
Schar
Hall
Longstaff
Miley
Joelington
Miggy
Wilson
Barnes

Guesswork on players being back/not getting injured before then but something like this makes sense for me, no Carling Cup still go all out for sure.

2 hours ago, magvicar said:

We have scores to settle with these going back a long way, given how shit they are now, the only way it was going to happen was a cup draw. It might not mean much from a cerebral POV, but given the history between the two clubs, it matters a lot to locals.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

We have scores to settle with these going back a long way, given how shit they are now, the only way it was going to happen was a cup draw. It might not mean much from a cerebral POV, but given the history between the two clubs, it matters a lot to locals.

Its what makes football the sport it is tbh.

48 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Them winning the game would mark the end of the season for players and fans, their pinnacle for the season. They'll then take their foot off the pedal for the remainder of the run-in and drop down the table. Post-"NETD" complacency is a thing for them. There's no net positive outcome in this match-up at all for them, in the long term.

1 hour ago, WideopenMag said:

I think many will likely change their tune when it's a week or two out from the game, loosing to this lot just isn't an option tbh it would be an embarrassment to the club and the fans. Play a weakened team and we definitely run the risk of getting beat.

Not a chance do we go weak 

1 hour ago, PCW1983 said:

We wont obliterate them, even at full strength. It's probably going to be uncomfortably close. That's the main reason for needing to go full strength.

I'm super confident, yeah I get the worries about it being a derby, but I just can't see them being able to handle our press and quality. Most of their play comes via the wings and we have too much quality on both sides. This team are 100% committed and play for each other, so any opinions (from their fans) that their players will be up for it, will have no impact whatsoever. 

Edited by et tu brute

2 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

This is one of the biggest games of Howes reign, rest players and get beat and it will be an epic fuck up and unforgivable to some.

Need to go full strength, its one game and tbh we should be prioritising the FA and league games anyways,  our only real chance of ending our ridiculously shite trophy record. How many players do you rest? They're only one league below us and will be massively up for the game. Arrogant to think we can field a second string and win.

I understand Howe hasn't sampled a north east derby and I'm sure he will field a strong enough team, but I'd be surprised if he puts out a starting line up similar to what he's using right now.

And I also don't expect him to field a second string, as such, because we do have a lot of quality to come back and when they do, they'll be fresh.

Botman?, Krafth, Dummett, Hall, Burn? Ritchie, Longstaff, Miley, Anderson, Willock? Barnes, Jacob Murphy, Wilson.

There's a full team and all are fairly regular and only a few are classed as second string.

Then you have Alex Murphy, Ben Parkinson, and a good few up and coming young kids for the bench.

I certainly wouldn't call that a weak set up.

Can you imagine of we fielded the team we see and so many get battered about from over zealous Sunderland players wanting a scalp and we end up with key players injured just for the sake of this game, regardless of it being a derby?

Many managers might play their entire key players in this situation but I think Eddie Howe's a more measured manager.

We will see.

I'd rather he changed a lot and rested key players and if we got beat I wouldn't be critical unless the players didn't try, which I doubt will happen.

21 minutes ago, magvicar said:

I understand Howe hasn't sampled a north east derby and I'm sure he will field a strong enough team, but I'd be surprised if he puts out a starting line up similar to what he's using right now.

And I also don't expect him to field a second string, as such, because we do have a lot of quality to come back and when they do, they'll be fresh.

Botman?, Krafth, Dummett, Hall, Burn? Ritchie, Longstaff, Miley, Anderson, Willock? Barnes, Jacob Murphy, Wilson.

There's a full team and all are fairly regular and only a few are classed as second string.

Then you have Alex Murphy, Ben Parkinson, and a good few up and coming young kids for the bench.

I certainly wouldn't call that a weak set up.

Can you imagine of we fielded the team we see and so many get battered about from over zealous Sunderland players wanting a scalp and we end up with key players injured just for the sake of this game, regardless of it being a derby?

Many managers might play their entire key players in this situation but I think Eddie Howe's a more measured manager.

We will see.

I'd rather he changed a lot and rested key players and if we got beat I wouldn't be critical unless the players didn't try, which I doubt will happen.

You can't pick a team or approach a game on the fear that they might get injured. If they're fit to play and available then they should be selected. Just a ridiculously negative attitude. It's a big game and means a lot to the fans, pick the best team available get in won and sub players off if needed. If he plays a second string team and we're beat whilst first team players were available and likely desperate to play then yes he will deserve criticism. I'm quite confident he won't do that and will get this fixture.

Edited by WideopenMag

The derbys of recent memory have definitely left a mark on some of our fans, I see the nerves are already showing. Just step back and have a think about it though, the differences of each club since we last played them.

I don’t pay attention to their results or what system they play, but if they deploy a low block and play dirty it could be an edgy game under the circumstances. Having said that if we put out our strongest available side it should be enough to get the result, there will be no questions over mentality like there was during the Pardew reign of terror.

Edited by Nine

There's no way we should be rotating/resting anyone for this game. We owe these bastards one. Go full strength and fuck them.

That being said, if we do beat Chelsea, I'm not sure Howe will think the same way. It's obviously hugely important to 90% of us, but to him - derby or not - he will likely see it as a early cup game against a side in the lower leagues, and pick his team accordingly.

I'm nervous though. A combination of not knowing who will be back for us, what sort of team we will play, the fact they've beaten us a lot in recent years and our FA Cup record being tragic recently. It definitely has the makings of a banana skin, although if we play anywhere close to our 'peak' (Spurs/Man U from April) we should really be absolutely fucking these into 2025. I do absolutely wish it was at home though.

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

I'm super confident, yeah I get the worries about it being a derby, but I just can't see them being able to handle our press and quality. Most of their play comes via the wings and we have too much quality on both sides. This team are 100% committed and play for each other, so any opinions (from their fans) that their players will be up for it, will have no impact whatsoever. 

Gabbiadini and Anderson were saying something similar on total sport last night. It was a decent discussion. The consensus from ‘Marco’ was that they like to play it out from the back but don’t actually have a plan B and lack physicality and scrappers in the team. Anderson was saying he couldn’t see how they could match our intensity, physicality and press particularly as they only seem to be able to play it out from the back. 

It’s a derby and a one off but there’s no way we should be losing to this lot and I just can’t see us being complacent. The Geordie lads and the likes of Trippier/Gordon as well as the Brazilian lads will be well up for this. We just have to avoid doing something stupid like a red early on.