FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

It's made me feel a lot better about it all, like. Bang average second tier teams beating an out of form Premier League team isn't out of the ordinary in the FA Cup, but the way the club and their fans have performed these last 24 hours...*chef's kiss*

6 hours ago, gbandit said:

Protesting against their club isn’t exactly the brightest move two days before the derby but it’s important they show how much they hate us, even if it makes things toxic for their own club

They did that with DiCanio. Withdrawing flags, complaining at the owner, citing his fascist tendencies. Didn't matter after he beat us and pro DiCanio graffiti popped up on my way to work by the afternoon of the next day.

Not that they're trying to repeat history like a tried and tested ritual, its just what they seem to do at least once every season.

I cannot help but feel this is all a bit of a tactic to be honest. Creates animosity and a larger siege mentality for them. Don't want to sound a miserable bastard but none of this is half as funny until we do the business. We cannot get ahead of ourselves, we're Newcastle, we know what happens when we do.

57 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Just want to sleep through this c*nt and have it feel like a historical result....even if we win, its not worth the angst just to subdue them.

Working backshift right through the Ashley era that happened a couple times and it was much nicer.

Have no interest in rubbing their noses in it should that happen, given the chasm between the two clubs it just seems wrong. Simply playing in a higher league ticked all those boxes.

Got Wigan Man City vibes.

If we win, it'd wind them up even more for us to carry on like it was just another game.

Yeah. That's not taking the edge off at all for me.

If being way better than them, way ahead of them and likely to stay there for the rest of our lives isn't providing the shield I'd like some signs certainly aren't.

5 minutes ago, Heron said:

I cannot help but feel this is all a bit of a tactic to be honest. Creates animosity and a larger siege mentality for them. Don't want to sound a miserable bastard but none of this is half as funny until we do the business. We cannot get ahead of ourselves, we're Newcastle, we know what happens when we do.

I agree that the win will make it all even funnier, HOWEVER they've just let us redecorate a bar black and white in their stadium. This one will be a long lasting joke no matter the outcome of the game.

There is no way you lose this, come Saturday afternoon you'll be wondering what the fuck you were concerned about*

*although, having said that, we got knocked out at home to Stevenage, and it wasn't even under Gerrard

1 minute ago, brummie said:

There is no way you lose this, come Saturday afternoon you'll be wondering what the fuck you were concerned about*

*although, having said that, we got knocked out at home to Stevenage, and it wasn't even under Gerrard

I hope you’re correct but our form is the worst it’s been since Howe* came in & it’s bloody Sunderland :lol: add to that it’s the FA cup ffs. 

*Not blaming him one iota.

23 minutes ago, Heron said:

If we win, it'd wind them up even more for us to carry on like it was just another game.

I did that with two Mackems at work after the 5-1 game.  It was delicious - spent the morning stony-faced saying nowt about it n

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I did that with two Mackems at work after the 5-1 game.  It was delicious - spent the morning stony-faced saying nowt about it n

I did the same bur had changed the clock to 5 past Sunderland and all morning a mackem was kicking off that the clock was bust then at dinner he walked over and kicked off :lol:

9 minutes ago, Heron said:

I did the same bur had changed the clock to 5 past Sunderland and all morning a mackem was kicking off that the clock was bust then at dinner he walked over and kicked off :lol:

I’ve worked for the same company for ~20 years or so, the split is about 70/30 in our favour. For months it was absolutely glorious after that result, posters up everywhere, clock cards, lockers, toolboxes & even car number plates got abused :lol: one lad had his changed to 5151 8RU3CY and didn’t notice for a week or so. Bad craic when I look back at it he could have got pulled & charged. Someone did the same in our canteen at the time but the clock was that high up you’d need a ladder to get to it, anyway one of the lads finally snapped during break and started throwing stuff at it, was glorious when he hit it with a tin of tomato soup :lol: soup and bits of clock all over. 

Mind you they certainly returned the favour during the 6 wins spell. 

1 hour ago, brummie said:

This post made me feel better until I got to the word Stevenage. You aren’t the only ones them southern bastards have humiliated. 

A team, even one in a lower league, doing this for opposition corporate fans man. Their arch rivals as well. Absolutely pitiful.

Yet more evidence of the game as we knew it having "gone". Never mind VAR or FFP. 

This is worth an extra verse on the monkey mackem song.