Newcastle United 1-0 Manchester United (02/12/23) | Reaction: Pg. 34 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

6 hours ago, Mattoon said:

I don't think anyone denies he's class, obviously an elite midfielder, but he's a petulant, rat faced, whinge bag that I wouldn't tire of punching, great player, minging human.

Would've said the same thing word for word about Anthony Gordon 12 months ago tbh.

Now i'd glass anyone who slags him off.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

@Froggyhow do you see the rest of the season playing out? What do you think will happen in terms of future for you lot?

I think we're fucked if he's going to persist with Rashford and let players like Varane rot.

We played you on Saturday night, and by all accounts this season you're a better side than we are, yet he played a right back at left back and a left back in centre back when we have a world class centre back on the bench. :lol: Utterly fucked with these sort of decisions.

I'd love to be inside someones head. I've seen Rashford play on the right maybe 15-20 times and he's been shite pretty much every single time. Extremely worrying that he's choosing to play Rashford there rather than his own £82m winger who was actually pretty fucking good the game before.

2 minutes ago, Pandamninator said:

Would've said the same thing word for word about Anthony Gordon 12 months ago tbh.

Now i'd glass anyone who slags him off.

:lol: It's almost like opposition fans don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to opposition players. It's why you'll never see me come on here and try and tell any of you about your own players.

For example, Stifler saying Fernandes isn't consistent enough, when in reality he's one of the most consistent players we've ever had. Even on his very worst days he'll create chances and will run his bollocks off for you.

47 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Don’t think the piss artist who made that comment was any expert fella. Just some random moron from a Man Utd message board. 

He is not the only self-identified « expert » making that same observation. There are a lot of moronic pundits — amateurs and otherwise, who’ve got it in their heads that NUFC are going to have to ditch Howe if the club wants to be amongst the big boys. It’s a really strange thing to run a football club that you never watch from inside your own head.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

If they keep throwing £200m a year on players it'll eventually stick at some point, whether it's 1 or 5 years.

That's what annoys me most about the whole Everton thing.

It will never work if the structure isn't right. We're a big enough club where we generate the funds to spend £150-200m every season but there needs to be a system in place. It's just a bunch of headless chickens running about upstairs and hoping a good manager can sort it out. 

Just now, gazza ladra said:

He is not the only self-identified « expert » making that same observation. There are a lot of moronic pundits — amateurs and otherwise, who’ve got it in their heads that NUFC are going to have to ditch Howe if the club wants to be amongst the big boys. It’s a really strange thing to run a football club that you never watch from inside your own head.

I didn't see the post, presumably on RedCafe, but other than that I've genuinely never seen this opinion. I wanted Howe to be our manager years ago, never mind now after what he's done with Newcastle.

@Froggy

Not imagining it. Yes, the most immediate instance was read on RedCafe, but I’ve read and heard if elsewhere —- mostly from random yahoos. It’s so strange. Made me laugh in disbelief they fist time I saw it. Maybe I am on the lookout for it now. I always picture these clowns dawning a tweed jacket and a pipe before as they sit down to post.  

21 minutes ago, Froggy said:

It will never work if the structure isn't right. We're a big enough club where we generate the funds to spend £150-200m every season but there needs to be a system in place. It's just a bunch of headless chickens running about upstairs and hoping a good manager can sort it out. 

It’s a less extreme but longer running version of Chelsea

Overpaying for players that flop, too many ego’s and bad attitudes and burning through managers hoping they can sort out the mess 

Whereas NUFC under Howe are far greater than the sum of our parts with an outstanding team spirit 

Same as Taggart’s era at MUFC

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I think we're fucked if he's going to persist with Rashford and let players like Varane rot.

We played you on Saturday night, and by all accounts this season you're a better side than we are, yet he played a right back at left back and a left back in centre back when we have a world class centre back on the bench. :lol: Utterly fucked with these sort of decisions.

I'd love to be inside someone’s head. I've seen Rashford play on the right maybe 15-20 times and he's been shite pretty much every single time. Extremely worrying that he's choosing to play Rashford there rather than his own £82m winger who was actually pretty fucking good the game before.

Thought Antony was also good when he came on. Has he turned a corner?

Sounds like players might be acting out and ETH is having to discipline them regardless of their importance. Maybe they’re going over his head to complain about stuff, etc. 

Obvs I’m not gutted about this, personally 😜

Can understand your frustrations though. 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

:lol: It's almost like opposition fans don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to opposition players. It's why you'll never see me come on here and try and tell any of you about your own players.

For example, Stifler saying Fernandes isn't consistent enough, when in reality he's one of the most consistent players we've ever had. Even on his very worst days he'll create chances and will run his bollocks off for you.

For sure Fernandes is a very good player and in the unlikely event of us being able to sign him I'd be very pleased. But I think the reason he's the captain is there's no other possible candidate who can command a regular place in the side. He moans too much to team-mates and referees, and a captain needs to be a positive influence that keeps his focus. 

I also thought that it was the wrong decision to let Rashford take the pen against Everton. That was a reward that needs to be earned.

Maguire was the one who showed leadership qualities on Saturday, but the club were trying very hard to get rid of him only recently.

11 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I know it's Manure and it's funny watching their impasse but I agree with this fella who agrees with that fella..... 

They’ve kinda tried doing this though no? All of the players they’ve bought are with his approval or his ex players :lol:

Fanciful targets aside such as FDJ. 

5 minutes ago, Cronky said:

For sure Fernandes is a very good player and in the unlikely event of us being able to sign him I'd be very pleased. But I think the reason he's the captain is there's no other possible candidate who can command a regular place in the side. He moans too much to team-mates and referees, and a captain needs to be a positive influence that keeps his focus. 

I also thought that it was the wrong decision to let Rashford take the pen against Everton. That was a reward that needs to be earned.

Maguire was the one who showed leadership qualities on Saturday, but the club were trying very hard to get rid of him only recently.

I would disagree. Last season I would have said De Gea, Shaw, Varane, Casemiro and even Martinez were all captain material. Bruno has always been the captain though. Even when Maguire had the armband, Bruno was the captain. 

Agree on the penalty as well. I hated that and have always hated it. I remember when we were 3-0 up against Zalaegerszeg (sp?) in the Champions League qualifiers and we got a penalty and Forland hadn't scored for us yet. Van Nistelrooy was letting him take the pen only for Keane to snatch the ball back and give it to Van Nistelrooy as he wanted to make absolutely sure of the win. Rashford getting that pen at 1-0 was mental. You can see why Bruno did it though.

Also, I know Maguire has been playing decent lately, but lets make no mistake about this; he's absolutely shite. The fact Maguire and Evans were the starting CB's at this club in 2023 speaks volumes.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They’ve kinda tried doing this though no? All of the players they’ve bought are with his approval or his ex players :lol:

I think what he meant was have a huge clear out. Take the hit, start again with a defined plan. 

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

I think what he meant was have a huge clear out. Take the hit, start again with a defined plan. 

Which is easier said than done, especially for giants like Man United. They can count the lucky stars Saudi has come along because if not, they have a lot of players on massive money who they wouldn’t be able to otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They brought Rangnick in to see what needed to be done, and then completely disregarded all of his advice. Another baffling decision from the uppers. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

They brought Rangnick in to see what needed to be done, and then completely disregarded all of his advice. Another baffling decision from the uppers. 

I don’t think they have though, I think they’ve bet the house on Ten Haag; a manager who the world was wanking themselves silly over and it isn’t taking you to the next level like was hoped. 

I think if we zoom out, you performed to about par last season, but this was achieved by bringing in his players and backing him. 

I think a lot of responsibility has to fall on his shoulders as well. But not to worry; you will keep spending until you improve and you will eventually, just don’t expect those Fergie days to come back as the other clubs in the league can compete with you financially now. 

14 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Agree on the penalty as well. I hated that and have always hated it. I remember when we were 3-0 up against Zalaegerszeg (sp?) in the Champions League qualifiers and we got a penalty and Forland hadn't scored for us yet. Van Nistelrooy was letting him take the pen only for Keane to snatch the ball back and give it to Van Nistelrooy as he wanted to make absolutely sure of the win. Rashford getting that pen at 1-0 was mental. You can see why Bruno did it though.

Not sticking with the designated penalty taker always looks unprofessional, but the reason that Fernandes gave - ie to boost Rashford's confidence - looked very misguided. He's one of the highest paid players at the club, an experienced international and Premiership player, and he's not pulling his weight. What do the other players think when he's given the pen?

I think the problem with Rashford is his ego, not his confidence. He seems to think that doing the dirty jobs, or filling in for the team at not his ideal role, is beneath his dignity. Maybe a team can accommodate that sort of attitude if it's one of the best players in the world, but Rashford is not.

I think it's a big problem, because Garnacho is emerging now and deserves a place, but the heavy investment is with Rashford, and it won't be easy to get rid of him.

14 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Not sticking with the designated penalty taker always looks unprofessional, but the reason that Fernandes gave - ie to boost Rashford's confidence - looked very misguided. He's one of the highest paid players at the club, an experienced international and Premiership player, and he's not pulling his weight. What do the other players think when he's given the pen?

I think the problem with Rashford is his ego, not his confidence. He seems to think that doing the dirty jobs, or filling in for the team at not his ideal role, is beneath his dignity. Maybe a team can accommodate that sort of attitude if it's one of the best players in the world, but Rashford is not.

I think it's a big problem, because Garnacho is emerging now and deserves a place, but the heavy investment is with Rashford, and it won't be easy to get rid of him.

Yep. Fully agree with all of this. :thup:

Finally found a clip of the Schar tackle, that so many ManU fans were commenting should have been a red card, since I missed it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/189qpex/fabian_schär_tackle_on_bruno_fernandes_66_no/

Fucking hell man, he accidentally stepped on his foot, that is not near a yellow, and never a red. And a lot of comments are using it as an example of the anti Man Utd conspiracy :D 

3 minutes ago, NoU said:

Finally found a clip of the Schar tackle, that so many ManU fans were commenting should have been a red card, since I missed it. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/189qpex/fabian_schär_tackle_on_bruno_fernandes_66_no/

Fucking hell man, he accidentally stepped on his foot, that is not near a yellow, and never a red. And a lot of comments are using it as an example of the anti Man Utd conspiracy :D 

I think you're stretching to say that's not near a yellow. :lol: On another day Schar could have seen red for two yellows. It wouldn't have made a button of difference. Just one less attacker for you.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I think you're stretching to say that's not near a yellow. :lol: On another day Schar could have seen red for two yellows. It wouldn't have made a button of difference. Just one less attacker for you.

I think you are really stretching if you say it's a yellow [emoji38] I don't think I've ever seen a yellow for accidentally stepping on someone's feet. Of course it hurts, but it happens all the time. And saying he should have seen red for two yellows makes no sense, you can't get a second yellow if you don't have a first one, and if you have the first one, of course you play differently. But yeah, we can agree that it wouldn't have made a difference.

11 minutes ago, NoU said:

No-one seems to mention how dangerous it was for Fernandes to put his foot right under where Schar was stepping. Schar could have done his ankle there. Thought Bruno F was lucky not to be imprisoned and deported for that.