Newcastle United vs AC Milan - 13/12/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

Paully

10 hours ago, cowlie63 said:

Strange to think that Man Utd and Spurs supporters will be hoping we win so England can get a fifth Champions League place.

Talking about this on a couple of podcasts - would we take an FA Cup win or CL football this year. I think most would take the FA Cup for the first time in a while.

19 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Talking about this on a couple of podcasts - would we take an FA Cup win or CL football this year. I think most would take the FA Cup for the first time in a while.

Strange as we are already in the CL but get the question.  For me we were never going to with the CL, so it was all about elevating the club to this level, bring in much needed additional revenue (FFP), and ultimately attract higher level players as we move forwards and grow.  Hence, getting to the last 16 or further, in either the CL or Europa will still be a massive outcome for us on all these levels.  Yes, it has come at a cost, as we were not ready for it squad wise, but that is also a good lesson for us, and will most likely shape our thinking in terms of tranfers over the next 2 windows.  We really need more elite players and the likes of Almiron need a serious upgrade, and more strength in depth.

As for winning a cup, definately needed as well - more for the fans, the players and club - to know we can do it.  The first one after so long, will always be the hardest and the most important.

In terms of this season (as it stands) the League Cup could be an easier run to Wembley and success given who we have alread knocked out, just got to get past Chelsea and see who we get.  Sunderland in the FA is a great way to kick that one off! 

Bring it on. 

Just now, Dan Gleebals said:

Strange as we are already in the CL but get the question.  For me we were never going to with the CL, so it was all about elevating the club to this level, bring in much needed additional revenue (FFP), and ultimately attract higher level players as we move forwards and grow.  Hence, getting to the last 16 or further, in either the CL or Europa will still be a massive outcome for us on all these levels.  Yes, it has come at a cost, as we were not ready for it squad wise, but that is also a good lesson for us, and will most likely shape our thinking in terms of tranfers over the next 2 windows.  We really need more elite players and the likes of Almiron need a serious upgrade, and more strength in depth.

As for winning a cup, definately needed as well - more for the fans, the players and club - to know we can do it.  The first one after so long, will always be the hardest and the most important.

In terms of this season (as it stands) the League Cup could be an easier run to Wembley and success given who we have alread knocked out, just got to get past Chelsea and see who we get.  Sunderland in the FA is a great way to kick that one off! 

Bring it on. 

Getting into the champions league isn't comparable to winning  trophy like. Would take a league or FA cup over that any day.

1 minute ago, WideopenMag said:

Getting into the champions league isn't comparable to winning  trophy like. Would take a league or FA cup over that any day.

As a building block CL is bigger (elevated profile and more money) but we have to win something at some point.

I'm torn.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

As a building block CL is bigger (elevated profile and more money) but we have to win something at some point.

I'm torn.

I don't think it's bigger at all would be massive for the club to win something. Surprised anyone would be torn, with our trophy run it has to be the priority. 

Edited by WideopenMag

14 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Likewise.  I’m a football fan not an accountant.  Clubs tend to spunk the European Cup money windfall quite quickly tbh - often unwisely.  I’d take a cup over the ability to sign a better right winger next season. 

You can’t predict the future - who knows, perhaps that cup is the only one we win.  Or perhaps I get hit by a bus in July.  Fuck knows.  Give me a trophy any day. 

I'm sure the question will have been posed before now but interesting to get peoples thoughts on game day.

Its approaching injury time, PSG have lost we are drawing 0-0, as it stands we are in the Europa but both teams could still qualify for CL. Are you throwing everyone forward 'all or nothing' or accepting the way the night has gone and not gamble the Europa status

Edited by geordie_b

I don't know how you could be over say 15 years old and not think it's an absolute no-brainer to snap want a trophy rather than CL qualification. The day we do finally win that first trophy will truly be the greatest day of my life, 37 years and counting, the idea of qualifying for CL even being close is ludicrous to me. 

2 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

I'm sure the question will have been posed before now but interesting to get peoples thoughts on game day.

Its approaching injury time, PSG have lost we are drawing 0-0 as it stands we are in the Europa. Are you throwing everyone forward 'all or nothing' or accepting the way the night has gone and not gamble the Europa status

All in! Let's go :)

6 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Its approaching injury time, PSG have lost we are drawing 0-0, as it stands we are in the Europa but both teams could still qualify for CL. Are you throwing everyone forward 'all or nothing' or accepting the way the night has gone and not gamble the Europa status

Go for it - 100%.

12 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Yep agree with the others, we're all in or nothing! I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at it!