Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, craigmadge said:

Just remembered almiron should have gone to the corner flag. 

Yep was screaming at him for that. Think we had 4 mins left. He's not the best to hold the ball up but a simple haaland technique of winning a corner would have been perfect. Really should have known better,from that angle to shoot too :anguish:

I thought it was pretty shit last night in all honesty. Seen quite a bit of poor us, but if you play like that and allow more and more pressure, you’re inviting a mistake. I think you have to make at least some attempt to retain the ball. Game management was poor and is too often away from home. How many leads have we thrown away now, even before the injury crisis?

Don't want to be too critical given all of our problems, and generally I still think we’re over performing, but it’s so frustrating to see us throw games away after such good work.

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Gutted about this. The manner of the loss and beating City and Manure on the way

Yes.  It's not just failing to win one game.  All the effort of beating City, then pulling off an amazing win at Old Trafford, and then going toe-to-toe with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge for 90 minutes, all rendered meaningless by one ridiculous last-minute brain-fart.  We should have been looking forward to a semifinal against Boro and another trip to Wembley, but instead we're back to contemplating the injury list and wondering if Ashworth is going to jump ship.  

I was euphoric after the City and Man U games but in retrospect it might have been better psychologically and physically if we'd just lost to City as expected.

6 hours ago, huss9 said:

chelsea fuckers - injured our most important attacking threat, then injured our RB so we had to bring on an out of form low in confidence sub.

but the journalists really have to press Howe on his continued reluctance to bring Lewis Hall on in place of an ageing Ritchie.

whats happeneded between the manu cup game and now.

really needs answering.

Would be good to know, but he’s not going to dig Hall or anybody out. If that’s what the issue is (lack of confidence in him). 

How the fuck are people blaming Almiron here :lol:

He not going to the corner flag is not why we lost, he also had an 85% pass success rate...3rd best in the team. Yeah, he was dispossessed twice, 3x less than Wilson.

Trippier's inability to control the ball in our own box under no pressure is why we lost.

Edited by Aiston

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

He not going to the corner flag is not why we lost, he also had an 85% pass success rate...3rd best in the team. Yeah, he was dispossessed twice, 3x less than Wilson.

Trippier's inability to control the ball in our own box under no pressure is why we lost.

Is anyone saying it was his fault or just pointing out he should have taken it to the corner flag to see the game out? Which he should have.

30 minutes ago, Aiston said:

But how can you blame trippier for an event which wouldn't have happened had Almirion done what really is school boy stuff. Last minutes of a cup tie, take it to the corner and don't shoot from the position he was in.

12 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

But how can you blame trippier for an event which wouldn't have happened had Almirion done what really is school boy stuff. Last minutes of a cup tie, take it to the corner and don't shoot from the position he was in.

I blame Mike Ashley for selling the club to the current owners who appointed Howe, signed Trippier and didn't stone Almiron to death.  He should have put in the terms of the sale that they couldn't appoint Howe, Trippier couldn't be signed and Almiron would be stoned to death.

Ridiculous some of the things people say on here.

Edited by relámpago blanco

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

I posted this yesterday. If you go back and watch the replay, Miggy shoots (instead of taking it to the corner) right on the 90:00 mark. There's another one minute and 20 seconds, and two possession changes, before the Trippier screw-up.  And there were four minutes plus of added time.  He couldn't have kept the ball in the corner for four minutes, or even one minute and 20 seconds.

Maybe Miggy should have learned to use his right foot and to speak English (and yes, he should have taken it to the corner), but he gets scapegoated and undervalued far too much.  At least Eddie understands his value.

28 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

There was nearly 2 minutes between Almiron and Trippier not controlling the most basic of balls.

12 minutes ago, Aiston said:

There was nearly 2 minutes between Almiron and Trippier not controlling the most basic of balls.

And that's why its so important to do it. The chance of winning 2 or 3 corners in a row and taking our time with them kills the clock and also forces Chelsea players back into their own half.

Haaland did it in our game Vs Man City at their own ground, that shows why it's so important to do it. It's not pretty but when your 1 up in a cup tie away from home in the final minutes it's an absolute necessity. I honestly believe if he had done so we would have won the tie.

The thing is, whatever Almiron did, Trippier in his current form/headspace would still have lost us that game, just in a different situation. He could have been in uncontested possession and he'd still have gifted them an equaliser (see Everton recently). That's the way things are going for him right now.

Making this about Almiron is silly. What I mean by that is, yes he probably should have taken it into the corner but we still would have conceded because that's the way we roll at the minute.

Edited by Sean

Just watched the highlights of this.

Few thoughts:

• Defending by Chelsea for Wilson's goal :mackems:
  • Dubs looked ok and comfortable from what I saw.
  • Can see what Tripps is trying to do with the backpass header but it's such a ridiculous risk:
    • His pen is one of the worst I've seen.
    • (Also the people commentating on whether his private life is having problems can STFU).