FAC R5: Blackburn Rovers (A): 27/02/24 @ DELAYED 20:00 (Live on BBC One)

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Was there. Ended up getting a lock in, in a pub in Haslingden after the match. Didn't get home till about 5am. What a night! 

Been to a few cup games at Ewood. Was at the one when Roy Wegerle scored in the last minute and we all had to queue overnight for tickets and was also at the one where Hottiger and Lee Clark scored. I got chucked out of that one for running on the pitch after Clarks goal. I was 17 at the time, it was a night time game and I'd been on the drink all day.

That 2-1 in 95 was fucking great.  Hardest away tie possible after drawing at SJP.  It’s the only season I’ve experienced where I was absolutely convinced we’d win the cup - before that shite QF at Goodison.  

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That 2-1 in 95 was fucking great.  Hardest away tie possible after drawing at SJP.  It’s the only season I’ve experienced where I was absolutely convinced we’d win the cup - before that shite QF at Goodison.  

Aye they won the league that season so it was as tough as it could have been. I was at Goodison for the QF as well. We were terrible that day.

Edited by Wallsendmag

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Aye they won the league that season so it was as tough as it could have been. Lost to Everton at Goodison in the QFs. I was at that one as well. We were absolutely shite. 

Yeah, they were right in the middle of that form that won them the league - they started to fall apart around Easter, but Man Utd didn’t quite have enough to catch them (they would have if Andy Cole had scored any one of about ten chances at West Ham on the last day).

That Everton QF is burned into my brain as possibly the most disappointing day following NUFC.  We just did not turn up against a shite Everton side who went on to win it.  

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, they were right in the middle of that form that won them the league - they started to fall apart around Easter, but Man Utd didn’t quite have enough to catch them (they would have if Andy Cole had scored any one of about ten chances at West Ham on the last day).

That Everton QF is burned into my brain as possibly the most disappointing day following NUFC.  We just did not turn up against a shite Everton side who went on to win it.  

Was an awful afternoon. Pretty sure it was a Sunday. Always remember we were in the Bullens Stand where the away fans are still put today but we were also allocated a large part of the main stand opposite. Had well over 6k there. Ruel Fox missed a sitter at the end.

40 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

The Blackburn loss in 92/93 is the only time in the Premier League era where we've got to the 5th round and not made the quarters.

Will we exorcise the ghost or have a nice bookend after this game?

We already did - in 1999 …

Tell Saha, Saha, he won’t be home for tea, he’s going to Wembley, tell Saha, Saha

Fond memories of that night with a big group of mates going down to Blackburn

13 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Was there. Ended up getting a lock in, in a pub in Haslingden after the match. Didn't get home till about 5am. What a night! 

Been to a few cup games at Ewood. Was at the one when Roy Wegerle scored in the last minute and we all had to queue overnight for tickets and was also at the one where Hottiger and Lee Clark scored. I got chucked out of that one for running on the pitch after Clarks goal. I was 17 at the time, it was a night time game and I'd been on the drink all day.

Remember taking a sleeping bag down thinking I'd be able to bed down for the night in an orderly civilised queue. When they opened the gates there was a stampede and I ended up standing rammed holding my sleeping bag until they opened the ticket office the next morning.

15 hours ago, toon25 said:

Couldn't be doing with a tie against Wrexham, like. The love-in for that twat Reynolds would be unbearable 

How is Ryan Reynolds a twat? Seems like a completely likeable bloke 

Just now, TRC said:

Glad we got Birmingham, we should be able to rotate some players in that game too. Hall should be given a chance.

Aye but can't say I'm overly excited about playing them and Blackburn at the same time.

4 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Aye but can't say I'm overly excited about playing them and Blackburn at the same time.

Its early where I'm from, those champo teams just blend together.

1 hour ago, Earp said:

Remember taking a sleeping bag down thinking I'd be able to bed down for the night in an orderly civilised queue. When they opened the gates there was a stampede and I ended up standing rammed holding my sleeping bag until they opened the ticket office the next morning.

Remember seeing people falling over in the stampede when they opened the gates around 4am and being trampled on. Was pretty horrific looking back.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

He was proper annoying in Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place

2 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Yeah the hate is weird. Wrexham have hit the jackpot and what they've done for National League football is incredible. Put it on the map worldwide, hell you even had McIlhenney congratulating Maidstone on Saturday. 

24 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

Extended highlights of 1995 FA Cup win at Ewood Park

Class save that from Flowers off Rob Lee. Why did Keegan never sign a quality keeper anyone? I was only 6 or 7 at the time of the Entertainers. 

8 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Class save that from Flowers off Rob Lee. Why did Keegan never sign a quality keeper anyone? I was only 6 or 7 at the time of the Entertainers. 

Massive KK blind spot.  Never quite seemed to get that a good keeper can win you almost as many points as a top centre forward.  We win a trophy with KK with a better GK.

I always felt the GK KK should have went for was Nigel Martyn (Seaman and Flowers were already at big clubs).  Instead we paid over £1.5m for Shaka in 1995 (Martyn went to Leeds for £2.25m in 1996).  

Edit: tbf KK did almost sign Brad Friedel but that was snookered by a work permit issue

Edited by TheBrownBottle