Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United (30/01/24) | Reaction: pg 50 | Goal-posts: OP

Disco

13 minutes ago, alexf said:

A performance that just showed, if we had just had a handful of key players available for more of the season we would be having an entirely different season. So important to be able to rotate or tweak tactics when necessary which we just haven't been able to do for the last 2-3 months. 

Let's hope we can have abit more luck with injuries for the remainder of the season and show everyone what we can really do. 

Although with Isak's injury maybe the curse continues. 

With even just half of the injury crisis we've had I think we'd definitely be 6th (possibly 5th). More importantly, I think we would have played in a LC semifinal and we'd still be in Europe.

The most frustrating thing in all of this for me are the what-ifs. Can't imagine how Eddie and team feel.

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Mad reading villa twitter and their forum.

Criticising Emery for playing the same tactics every week. Lots of criticism for cash and diaby. Playing to slowly out from the back etc

They're fucking 4th top

Social media has a lot to answer for when it comes to football

Just on the playing slowly out, but Martinez was actually tackled on the goal line. It was nearly howler of the season. For them, I thought McGinn was lively and nearly shithoused his way to a headed goal against Miley. Luiz was very quiet. Maybe just an offday. Watkins was classic Watkins. Nowt all game and then bang! A bit like Callum Wilson.

Great result from our lot. Hopefully its us turning a corner.

Our game plan was excellent especially first half. Trippier was following Moreno all the way up top and not letting them play out, with no winger that side it was a right choice of course. And our CBs following their men up to midfield. 

And when we had the ball, excellent deep runs from Murphy and Longstaff especially. Overloaded that flank and Miley also made lost of runs to the channel forcing their midfield to run deep. 

That high line was a suicide yesterday.

6 hours ago, Nine said:

Think you’ll find that just emotionally highly strung human beings in general, and most fanbases would react the same. 

Raised expectations and recency bias brings the worst out of fans, we’ve seen much of it on here this season. 

Great post

9 hours ago, Billy Warthog said:

What a fucking great result this is! Put us through the mill a bit in the 2nd half, but we've done more than enough to get 3 points here. 

And a huge 3 points it is... first home defeat for them in almost a year. Stops the rot for us. Up to 7th for now. 

Well done the lads... onwards!! 

No they didn't, they had a 15 minute spell and that wa it!

Hopefully Isak will be back soon, but one of the bonuses of that game was that the front three of Miggy, Gordon and Murphy actually looked dangerous. That's something I never expected to be typing this time yesterday.

I thought Miley did well in the first half, but struggles defensively - naturally enough, given his age. But there's much more to come from him going forward, and I think we'll see it fairly soon.

A big win for Eddie, who has had to weather a bit of a storm this last few weeks. Beneath the surface, I thought he was quite emotional at the end. Tactically, he won the battle with Emery hands down. 

It feels like we're back. I'm getting a bit emotional now (sniff)

18 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Hopefully Isak will be back soon, but one of the bonuses of that game was that the front three of Miggy, Gordon and Murphy actually looked dangerous. That's something I never expected to be typing this time yesterday.

I thought Miley did well in the first half, but struggles defensively - naturally enough, given his age. But there's much more to come from him going forward, and I think we'll see it fairly soon.

A big win for Eddie, who has had to weather a bit of a storm this last few weeks. Beneath the surface, I thought he was quite emotional at the end. Tactically, he won the battle with Emery hands down. 

It feels like we're back. I'm getting a bit emotional now (sniff)

Weave in the lesser spotted Harvey Barnes and Wilson and we can get some kind of proper rotation going to maximise press and limit further injuries.

We’ll be likely to have a Gordon suspension for two games in the next month (please not the cup game…) so need Isak, Wilson and Barnes back to cover them.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

One last thing from yesterday, I with Longstaff was way more clinical, he should have had 2/3 last night :lol: 

Recurring theme. Same as the mackems’ game.

8 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Yeah I agree - you could see how important he is for them.

I just think you’re their Kryptonite. Well-organized press and defence, and pace up front and on the wings. Their defence is so square at times.

You rode your luck a bit but just did enough defensively and they seemed a little out of sync going forward. We battered them at ours but couldn’t put them away and they clawed it back. The difference was that - after missing two gilt-edged chances - you did put them away.

I think Howe just made all the right calls. Realistically there are now a whole group of teams who have a plan and could sort of go either way. Good but not great - you, us, Villa, probably Arsenal. Chelsea too tbh. Liverpool one step ahead, Man City a step or two more. Them and Arsenal have the squad to cope with the injuries and games. You us and Villa are getting there.

Rode our luck? We schooled them first half and should have scored more!

Great away match, brilliant trip, brilliant performance and great away atmosphere 👍🏻

One complaint, what the fuck was Villas pre match party all about…I’m sure it’s a personal thing but it’s utterly pathetic in my view. Ironic of course that holding their phones up was pretty much as good as the Villa fans got yesterday.