Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United (30/01/24) | Reaction: pg 50 | Goal-posts: OP

Disco

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Emery must have amnesia with the 1st game of the season/ how they overran us at Villa Park last season (when Bruno had a mare and their energy overwhelmed us).

We weren’t anywhere near our best yesterday but we could have scored 6 or 7 because of their high line and failure to press us in our own half between the 18 yard line and centre circle. We had all day to play the ball across the middle and pick the right run to hit.

Emery has been lauded but that was shocking last night. Luton will be much tougher on Saturday. Villa fans can rightly be annoyed about that performance and it sounds like it’s been coming for them.

Yeah I think in hindsight playing against a team with a high back line and don't bother to man mark Bruno was the best possible way to get us out of our away day rot

Bruno's pass to Gordon in the first half when he won the corner for the goal was sublime

Just now, joeyt said:

Have to say if Watkins big toe wasn't just offside I don't know if I'd have been able to handle those last 15/20 mins :lol:

Incredible call from the linesman. Mad that they feel sure enough to raise their flag calls like that, but keep it down for others - like when Murphy was over a yard offside. 

It's one of those where, if there's no VAR, and the flag stays down... is anyone really complaining? It's so marginal.

Said in the match thread that it was a miracle it wasn't 2-3 and it really was. Would've been of our own making, too; Tino should've been on much sooner really. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Incredible call from the linesman. Mad that they feel sure enough to raise their flag calls like that, but keep it down for others - like when Murphy was over a yard offside. 

It's one of those where, if there's no VAR, and the flag stays down... is anyone really complaining? It's so marginal.

Said in the match thread that it was a miracle it wasn't 2-3 and it really was. Would've been of our own making, too; Tino should've been on much sooner really. 

The flag only went up after he scored didn't it? 

He looked off with the naked eye when looking at the still image when he was played in.

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

The flag only went up after he scored didn't it? 

He looked off with the naked eye when looking at the still image when he was played in.

Fair enough. I wonder if he'd have raised it if VAR wasn't in existence. Agree re the still image. 

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

Is Villa Park the most embarrassing venue in the Premier League by the way?

Fireworks, light show, absolutely zero atmosphere, deserting the team when two goals down but still in with a chance.

They're fucking fourth. They've won nowt for years and were unbeaten there this season until last night.

It was also a game against a pseudo-rival who'd spunked all owa them opening day. You'd think there'd be something.

Absolute tin pot club.

yet people still criticise SJP.

we're levels above that even when we're getting battered off forest and woodinho

McCoist loves football, he really does…. Not sure he ever provides much insight. But it is nice having someone so enthusiastic and joyful on co-comms. Bar the derby, he has been really pro-Newcastle and all. 

Poor old Burn “he needs a complimentary to get back in” :lol: Ando cooked him and all “A pie and a Bovril, please” :lol: 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

McCoist loves football, he really does…. Not sure he ever provides much insight. But it is nice having someone so enthusiastic and joyful on co-comms. Bar the derby, he has been really pro-Newcastle and all. 

Poor old Burn “he needs a complimentary to get back in” :lol: Ando cooked him and all “A pie and a Bovril, please” :lol: 

and despite being an ex mackem he does really have an affection for SJP and the toon.

11 minutes ago, huss9 said:

yet people still criticise SJP.

we're levels above that even when we're getting battered off forest and woodinho

We’re not embarrassing with fireworks etc, we’re just really quiet. 

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We could have been 4 up before half time!

Just now, Bondedcrown said:

We could have been 4 up before half time!

True, when you compare chances in totality we still more than deserved it - I just meant we got away with one re that Watkins offside incident specifically. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

True, when you compare chances in totality we still more than deserved it - I just meant we got away with one re that Watkins offside incident specifically. 

It was rightfully disallowed? 

Just now, Bondedcrown said:

It was rightfully disallowed? 

I know, but an inch the other way and it's 2-3 after they built up a head of steam. Again, not saying we didn't deserve to win, but it was more good fortune than good management that we stayed two ahead pre-Tino sub.

25 minutes ago, huss9 said:

and despite being an ex mackem he does really have an affection for SJP and the toon.

Well he was banging my hot English teacher at the time who was a big Nufc fan

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I know, but an inch the other way and it's 2-3 after they built up a head of steam. Again, not saying we didn't deserve to win, but it was more good fortune than good management that we stayed two ahead pre-Tino sub.

we had decent chances too.

not quite like the 5 open goals fulham missed against us mind.

howay man, at least be joyful and positive for 48 hrs after a win .

:lol: I'm as joyful and as positive as they come. It was a brilliant, deserved win but we were fortunate in that singular incident. I'm not even being critical, having some fortune is a good thing and usually earned. 

42 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Enjoyed all the off field stuff for this game too in the lead up with Villa watch posting some absolute turds and now deleting his Twitter.

Got any screen shots, as I’m blocked for terrorising him after the 5-1

Emery doesn’t often get it wrong, but you can’t discount our overall game plan and most importantly the effort and execution of our players. We either won the first ball or the second ball, and if we didn’t win that we were flying back into position and not exposing ourselves. When they started creating chances in the second half, on came Tino and we closed up shop again. 

I saw many things last night - that defensive rigidity and nous from Howe’s first half of his tenure with us when he saved us, when we played deeper and countered. I saw our high press and effort we’ve come to love last season and at times this one, and then I saw something new from us and that was being able to switch back and forth as it almost seemed like we had a hybrid plan a and b. 

that shite at wolves last season nearly took our eyebrows off. was flames rather than fireworks.

and was it wolves years ago  when one of the fireworks fell over and shot into the crowd. 

in bellamy's time.

we drew i think, and i met that fella off dexy's outside before the game.