Nottingham Forest vs. Newcastle United: 10/2/24 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Lad on twitter who usually gets team news right is hinting that Burn starts.

Well I don’t like that at all if true. Having said that, let’s back him and support him and hope that he bounces back and has a great game. If he doesn’t play well then I really hope that Howe doesn’t make the same mistake again by not changing up before it’s too late. Sometimes it’s obvious what is not working and changes need to be made before the accident has happened. 

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

If Burn gets his arse handed to him (again) it’s going to get nasty.

This. And if it gets nasty it will affect the rest of the team negatively as well. Not just the performance today. Pressure and all that. 

Edited by Ikon

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We played wing-backs and wingers/wide forwards with two CMs under Rafa for 5 months, and it was probably the spell with the most easy on the eye football played in between Robson and Howe.

Benitez played a 5-4-1

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Benitez played a 5-4-1

It was definitely a 3-4-3/5-2-3 hybrid second half of his last season. 

Ritchie LWB, Almiron/Atsu LM, Yedlin/Manquillo RWB, Ayoze RM.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Just went back to check just in case I was misremembering, the PL official website lists the games I’ve looked at towards the end of 2018/19 as being a 5-4-1 formation.  Looked at the games vs Fulham, Liverpool, Southampton, Leicester.  Game vs Everton in Feb was a 3-4-3 like you said.  I honestly don’t remember Benitez not playing 5-4-1 towards the end, though - I wouldn’t describe it as a 5-2-3.  

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Ritchie LWB, Almiron/Atsu LM, Yedlin/Manquillo RWB, Ayoze RM.

Ritchie and Manquillo were playing full back, not wing back.  Ayoze and Almiron playing LM and RM makes it a 5-4-1, not a 5-2-3.  They weren’t playing as proper wide forwards. 

33 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

If Burn gets his arse handed to him (again) it’s going to get nasty.

If it does, then people need to be going at Howe. Not Burn.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Just thinking that.  I’m getting increasingly irritated at the volleys at BDB.  The lad gives 100%, and he’s one of us.  If he’s out of form, that’s for the manager to pull him out of the side.  He’s hardly picking himself. 

Burn had a shocker against Luton, no doubt, but he was great for 65 mins against Villa and the whole Fulham game.

I don’t quite buy the overreactions that he’s a massive liability… he’s not at all.

Would still prefer Tino to start though.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Just thinking that.  I’m getting increasingly irritated at the volleys at BDB.  The lad gives 100%, and he’s one of us.  If he’s out of form, that’s for the manager to pull him out of the side.  He’s hardly picking himself. 

If people are going after him at games I agree as even our worst players never deserved boos or anything. Probably my biggest pet hate at a game. It has zero relevance to him or anyone else if its on here though. Other players are torn to shreds daily on here for about 20 years and nobody batted an eyelid

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I dont even think hes out of form. He is just incredibly slow and teams are targeting him now. 

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

I’d rather they weren’t going at anyone, tbh. Just stating a fact, there’s a target on his back now.

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

If people are going after him at games I agree as even our worst players never deserved boos or anything. Probably my biggest pet hate at a game. It has zero relevance to him or anyone else if its on here though. Other players are torn to shreds daily on here for about 20 years and nobody batted an eyelid

Agreed re on here.  A player or manager would have to seek it out, and if you’re going to get upset by anonymous posters on a football forum then you’re looking to be upset.  Boils my piss when I’ve heard it at the match.  Don’t see how it helps. 

1 minute ago, aussiemag said:

I dont even think hes out of form. He is just incredibly slow and teams are targeting him now. 

They can target him when the protection of Willock / Joelinton is missing.  Miley offers no support (just a kid, etc)

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed re on here.  A player or manager would have to seek it out, and if you’re going to get upset by anonymous posters on a football forum then you’re looking to be upset.  Boils my piss when I’ve heard it at the match.  Don’t see how it helps. 

They can target him when the protection of Willock / Joelinton is missing.  Miley offers no support (just a kid, etc)

yes agreed. Maybe Almiron on the left will offer more support today. But you want your fullback to be able to 1 on 1 defend. 

1 minute ago, aussiemag said:

yes agreed. Maybe Almiron on the left will offer more support today. But you want your fullback to be able to 1 on 1 defend. 

You do, no argument there from me.  Burn’s still ok vs a winger when he tucks and plays deeper - he’s not too bad 1 v 1 in all scenarios - the real problems arise when he pushes too far out.  Anyone with pace then causes him no end of bother

8 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Burn had a shocker against Luton, no doubt, but he was great for 65 mins against Villa and the whole Fulham game.

I don’t quite buy the overreactions that he’s a massive liability… he’s not at all.

Would still prefer Tino to start though.

I think people were fine with his lack of attacking threat and ability on the ball. As he was always pretty solid defensively. I don’t think a lot of the views on him now are overreactions, personally.  

He certainly looks exposed basically every time he plays against a fast winger now. Everyone has been saying this and it’s true. He can’t do it without Willock or Joelinton on that side. He is getting left with a lot of space to defend and he just isn’t agile enough to do it. 

It’s going to continue to be an issue and teams will keep targeting that side until the end of the season. As we just don’t have the right types of players available to assist him. Plus it gets even more difficult if Gordon is out for any length of time. In this current setup and the players available. I do think he’s become a bit of a liability. 

Hopefully it might improve when Willock is back if he can stay fit. But like you said, I’d also prefer Tino to start, regardless.