Nottingham Forest vs. Newcastle United: 10/2/24 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

16 hours ago, Jinky said:

I'll raise you....

Frank Clark knows my father

Father knows Frank Clark

Father knows Frank Clark

Father knows Frank Clark

(Actually quite ironic, given his time at Forest!)

My favourite frank Clark moment was actually when he was manager of forest during a live BBC broadcast where he yelled loud and clear

GET THE FUCK UP THE FUCKING PITCH!!!

and the late Barry Davies beautiful said 'frank giving his players a bit encouragement....'

2 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

My favourite frank Clark moment was actually when he was manager of forest during a live BBC broadcast where he yelled loud and clear

GET THE FUCK UP THE FUCKING PITCH!!!

and the late Barry Davies beautiful said 'frank giving his players a bit encouragement....'

His only ever goal for us in the home League Cup tie against Doncaster will forever live in my memory!

36 minutes ago, greydos said:

Plenty tried to defend Wood on this Forum 2 years ago but got battered!

Battered my arse. Absolute divvies on here mouthing of about how shit that whole transfer was. 

Thick cunts still do and the same one's putting the boot into the team/Howe now. 

For the legacy dunces... 

We needed a striker, desperately. 

We could get Wood, from relegation rivals, for an uncontested release clause. 

Did

Stayed up. 

The end.*

* should've been "the end" but we further went on and rinsed Forest for him. He, subsequently, came back for 90 mins and rinsed us. 

I think our problem recently (apart from Burns pace which is dependent on who his opponent is) is this:

Defence

(This area)

Longstaff     Bruno       Miley

Right now, Howes tactic is that they play in a straight line and the individual presses whoever is in front of them, including Bruno (who's actually a good presser).

But what the opposition is doing, is allowing Bruno to step out of that space and the threading balls between the lines. 

Countless teams have exploited us in this area and it's certainly ironic that the one team that didn't (Villa) is the side who is particularly good at playing in these spaces.

The other problem we have had, is when losing the ball we normally have two athletic, tactically aware players either side of Bruno, who can sense and deal with the danger. Longstaff is capable of doing this, in fact its his best trait (let's not get into his flaws) but on the other side Miley seems like he's getting caught out regularly. Whether that it is because of age or stamina, who knows but its a key weakness for me.

It's not a snipe on Miley, he's got twice the potential of Longstaff and we should rightly be excited about him.

We need a short term fix, just while we wait on bodies coming back. With what's currently available (shudder):

Dubravka 

Trippier Schar    Botman Livramento 

Longstaff      Bruno

Miggy             Murphy          Barnes

Wilson

Murphy in the number 10 sounds like a ridiculous idea (until Gordon returns) but in effect he'd be the 3rd midfielder as much as a number 10. He'd harass their midfield or defence with his energy and running, preventing them from picking those passes. Longstaff and Bruno could still press aggressively behind him and there would be fewer gaps.

Our counter attacking would be lighting quick with Murphy (until Gordon is back), Miggy and Barnes.

In short, don't worry about goals, we've never struggled for goals, we need to find a way to protect our defence better and having a triangle in midfield will help us avoid a flat line.

P.S Howe won't do any of this.[emoji38]

My only concern is that the reasons they beat us in the reverse fixture will be the same reason we conceded 4 goals against Luton. They have some pace that will hurt us if we play an open game. Yes we can hurt them as well, but we'll need our forwards to be more ruthless otherwise it will come back to bite us on the arse. If we'd gone 3-1 up against Luton which we should have, the game would have been buried. Instead we kept missing chances and final through balls, and they went 4-2 up instead.

1 hour ago, Miercoles said:

The scheduling this year... Don't these fucks know I have to go to a kids birthday party Saturday at 11? Gonna miss the second half again. Get it together, Premier League!

have to go to a funeral. :-/

1 hour ago, STM said:

I think our problem recently (apart from Burns pace which is dependent on who his opponent is) is this:

Defence

(This area)

Longstaff     Bruno       Miley

Right now, Howes tactic is that they play in a straight line and the individual presses whoever is in front of them, including Bruno (who's actually a good presser).

But what the opposition is doing, is allowing Bruno to step out of that space and the threading balls between the lines. 

Countless teams have exploited us in this area and it's certainly ironic that the one team that didn't (Villa) is the side who is particularly good at playing in these spaces.

The other problem we have had, is when losing the ball we normally have two athletic, tactically aware players either side of Bruno, who can sense and deal with the danger. Longstaff is capable of doing this, in fact its his best trait (let's not get into his flaws) but on the other side Miley seems like he's getting caught out regularly. Whether that it is because of age or stamina, who knows but its a key weakness for me.

It's not a snipe on Miley, he's got twice the potential of Longstaff and we should rightly be excited about him.

We need a short term fix, just while we wait on bodies coming back. With what's currently available (shudder):

Dubravka 

Trippier Schar    Botman Livramento 

Longstaff      Bruno

Miggy             Murphy          Barnes

Wilson

Murphy in the number 10 sounds like a ridiculous idea (until Gordon returns) but in effect he'd be the 3rd midfielder as much as a number 10. He'd harass their midfield or defence with his energy and running, preventing them from picking those passes. Longstaff and Bruno could still press aggressively behind him and there would be fewer gaps.

Our counter attacking would be lighting quick with Murphy (until Gordon is back), Miggy and Barnes.

In short, don't worry about goals, we've never struggled for goals, we need to find a way to protect our defence better and having a triangle in midfield will help us avoid a flat line.

P.S Howe won't do any of this.[emoji38]

In love the thought process with this. 

the compact straight line works with JL and Tonali, and when Bruno isn’t getting a head of steam. 

we need to play tino LB and play a similar style at Villa. Which is press and do our thing there but also sit back and counter. Bruno needs ultimate discipline. Do that and we’ll be beat these.  It’s when we go balls against the wall and lose control that the gap forms. 

On 05/02/2024 at 10:27, toon25 said:

Just don't play Burn, ffs

This is the key. There should be zero chance of him starting this game unless all other options are injured (except Dummett of course).

Elanga only played 64 minutes, probably with this game in mind. He's the one I'm most concerned about. If Forest finds a way to play him 1v1 on Burn we might be in for another difficult game no matter who else plays for them.

46 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

All other options being just Tino. 

Or Hall, but it seems we've already made the decision to avoid playing him for whatever reason.

9 hours ago, Beth said:

Or Hall, but it seems we've already made the decision to avoid playing him for whatever reason.

Hall isn't a better option that Burn. Unless you've just imagined Hall being ready in your head.

Again, massively over the top view on Burn. Yes Livramento should be starting. Yes Burn has flaws. That's it.

so just the following missing then?

Isak

Gordon

Joelinton 

Willock 

Tonali 

Pope 

Anderson 

Lascelles 

Targett

gonna be a tough game, would probably be happy enough with a point 

25 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

Isak

Gordon

Joelinton 

Willock 

Tonali 

Pope 

Anderson 

Lascelles 

Targett

I'm guessing Wilson starts then injures himself for the next 4 games?

20 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I'm guessing Wilson starts then injures himself for the next 4 games?

Just in time for a 75% fit Isak to be rushed back early.

1 hour ago, Ginola14 said:

Isak

Gordon

Joelinton 

Willock 

Tonali 

Pope 

Anderson 

Lascelles 

Targett

5 of them would start, but it's only Willock and Tonali from the outfield 10 that I think would make a huge difference this weekend. 

Wilson is better than fine upfront, we don't know how well a Barnes/Gordon wing combo would be and Moggy/Murph again are serviceable in a good team

You're not going to have Big Joe, Willock, Tonali, Bruno in the same team if one of Gordon or Barnes is fit

It's back to bench strength again more than first 11

31 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

5 of them would start, but it's only Willock and Tonali from the outfield 10 that I think would make a huge difference this weekend. 

Wilson is better than fine upfront, we don't know how well a Barnes/Gordon wing combo would be and Moggy/Murph again are serviceable in a good team

You're not going to have Big Joe, Willock, Tonali, Bruno in the same team if one of Gordon or Barnes is fit

It's back to bench strength again more than first 11

Agreed but we’ve seen first hand how much bench strengths impacts outcomes.