Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

I read something about Freedman a while back, and I remember being surprised by how highly rated he is. Will have to try and find the article.

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Eze, Olise, Franca, Wharton, Guéhi, Munoz, Richards, loaned in Conor Gallagher. 

Seems Freedman has spotted some decent talent.

Does he/DOFs actually spot the talent or do they just help get deals done? Or both?

8 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Does he/DOFs actually spot the talent or do they just help get deals done? Or both?

Not sure these days tbf, scouting and Dof work together, but someone posted he was credited with some of their better purchases.

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/16426/13089908/crystal-palace-s-oliver-glasner-not-surprised-by-dougie-freedman-link-with-manchester-united

If you watch this link, Glasner explains Freedman is involved in scouting.

Edited by mighty__mag

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I read something about Freedman a while back, and I remember being surprised by how highly rated he is. Will have to try and find the article.

Please post if you find it 👍

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Man Utd are desperate to land him, I guess him and Ashworth doing similar roles. They see Ashworth as sporting director, Freedman as head of recruitment. 

Omar Berrada and Ashworth both on Gardening leave creates an issue for Man Utd going into their new season, meaning they want Freedman to come in and solve any problem they may face. 

Makes me wonder if there's any truth in this, if we're getting one over on Man Utd by going after Freedman, if any of this is true?

Edited by mighty__mag

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Please post if you find it 👍

There was one that covered the contacts world wide that he has, but can't find it.

But this one from the Athletic was a good read regarding his approach and mentality. The bit about player's mindset and character will be familiar as it ties in with our current approach.

https://theathletic.com/4758636/2023/08/10/dougie-freedman-crystal-palace-transfers-profile/

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Stick with me lads for the inside scoop.

Out of the two I’d take Giles as you’d get loyalty. Not really one of Freedman’s strong points so after Ashworth is that what we really want 🤔 

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Out of the two I’d take Giles as you’d get loyalty. Not really one of Freedman’s strong points so after Ashworth is that what we really want 🤔 

how is loyalty not one of Freedman's strong points?

I definitely like the idea of loyalty, but I think some people are being weirdly touchy about the idea of any man choosing to leave another club to join us. It's not inherently a disreputable thing to do, it's just a question of how it's gone about. Same as a footballer.

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

He’d be leaving Palace mid job to come here, he had no attachment to the area or the club. 

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

He’d be leaving Palace mid job to come here, he had no attachment to the area or the club. 

Right... So 7 years isn't enough and he should stay there until he's sacked or Forest come in for him?

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

Right... So 7 years isn't enough and he should stay there until he's sacked or Forest come in for him?

I think, the point being if man united come for he he would be off too where as Giles would be more likely to stay as he’s a fan. 

That being said, my preference is someone who has experience of being in Europe regularly as well as excellent contacts in markets where value can be found. 

10 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Look back at his management history. Especially his move from Palace to Bolton.

44 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Bournemouth in for Paul Mitchell 

Going for the same Sporting Director as a mid-tables club, worrying.

I was reading up on Dougie Freeman a few months ago, he has someone doing blind research based on stats. All identifying markers are removed and some nerd just looks at the pure data. No footage, no names, nothing. Then its compiled into a recommendation list that the scouting team and visually report on.

6 minutes ago, OCK said:

I was reading up on Dougie Freeman a few months ago, he has someone doing blind research based on stats. All identifying markers are removed and some nerd just looks at the pure data. No footage, no names, nothing. Then its compiled into a recommendation list that the scouting team and visually report on.

Vieira spoke really highly of him and the new guy Palace just brought in, Glasner, has too, and seemed very impressed by him. Seems to have really good rapport with the managers. Some really good stuff about him out there.