Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Vieira spoke really highly of him and the new guy Palace just brought in, Glasner, has too, and seemed very impressed by him. Seems to have really good rapport with the managers. Some really good stuff about him out there.

Signed some really good players under him, all for good prices. Eze, Olise, Wharton, Doucoure, Andersen, Guehi to name a few.

Funnily enough, Man United are after Freedman as well, but to work under Ashworth in a recruitment role.

Looks like we're offering him a more senior role more in line with the one Ashworth vacated.

Wonder if part of our delay over Ashworth, also has to do with us possibly looking to tie up Freedman first, as Ashworth would have had a role in sorting his move to Man Utd.

34 minutes ago, OCK said:

I was reading up on Dougie Freeman a few months ago, he has someone doing blind research based on stats. All identifying markers are removed and some nerd just looks at the pure data. No footage, no names, nothing. Then its compiled into a recommendation list that the scouting team and visually report on.

Love shit like this when they step away from the normal way of doing things. 

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Rather Freedman over Mitchell if that’s the choice seems to have done a cracking job at Palace with recruitment.

What surprised me most was something I read about the contacts he's established in South America, but I can't find the article. It was around the time they signed Matheus Franca straight from Brazil. It talked about the agent and footballing relationships he'd established globally.

Taking the Palace DoF? Embarrassing. We should only be entertaining premium, five star men. Bet he's mates with Eddie, too. 

Posted (edited)

Palace have signed some good players but I've never thought of them as a coherent team and they play shit to average football with little success. Unfair to keep that in mind?

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Palace have signed some good players but I've never thought of them as a coherent team and they play shit to average football with little success. Unfair to keep that in mind?

Similar to Carr here under a shite board with a shite manager?

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think so, I was having the same thought.

If the club thinks he is the one to take us forward then I'm all for it mind

54 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Twitter  saying we are going multi club. 

13 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Multi club is on the way and being looked at by the club, patience College we won’t be 2nd fiddle to Abu Dhabi forever.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

What surprised me most was something I read about the contacts he's established in South America, but I can't find the article. It was around the time they signed Matheus Franca straight from Brazil. It talked about the agent and footballing relationships he'd established globally.

Pretty sure those in charge will be thorough and if its Dougie then we trust them....Palace have some fine players on a budget. Anderson is a great centre back...held them together at Liverpool.

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nope it’s totally fair, this forum suffers from recency bias and are over ratting him due to us being smashed by them. 

Palace have been in the league forever and never made any progress beyond mid table. 

before I’m jumped on I’m not saying he’s bad or anything like that but again, nothing to suggest he’s elite or best in class at this stage. 

29 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Nope it’s totally fair, this forum suffers from recency bias and are over ratting him due to us being smashed by them. 

Palace have been in the league forever and never made any progress beyond mid table. 

before I’m jumped on I’m not saying he’s bad or anything like that but again, nothing to suggest he’s elite or best in class at this stage. 

Here is the bloody thing though. It's extremely hard for people outside the place of employment to really judge. The dynamics of each staff's remit at different clubs is something we don't know. I have no idea for the reasons that I just stated. Not having a go, just it's way easier judging players as you can actually watch them, although you don't know what they were told to do on any given match film (tactical instructions they received for that match).

52 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Thinking people are positive about Freedman because we recently lost to Crystal Palace is an interesting take, that's for sure!

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Thinking people are positive about Freedman because we recently lost to Crystal Palace is an interesting take, that's for sure!

It always happens on here, someone does well against us and they suddenly become amazing. 

And again, I’m not say Friedman is bad or anything like that; just echoing KI sentiments. 

Either way if we appoint him I’ll be fully behind him. 

I mean ... people have mostly been referring to the players he signed at Palace, so don't think it has anything to do with the result against us.

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Aye, all fair points but they could all have been made against Eddie ‘that bloke who got Bournemouth relegated’ Howe before he joined.

This regime have had decent success at hiring the right personalities so at this stage I’d put my trust in them bringing in the right fit from that perspective and allowing them to become ‘best in class’ or whatever within the right environment.