Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Micheal Edwards would be the dream, but that seems like a long shot given the sides he has knocked back recently.

Whoever it is needs to be in place fast, this is going to be a busy Summer for ins and outs. I think they ideally need experience working at a side thats been regularly involved in European football.

No idea regarding names, but I’d prefer one who has in depth knowledge of the European and world transfer markets. With our ffp struggle, I think this is where we should focus our spending.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

No idea regarding names, but I’d prefer one who has in depth knowledge of the European and world transfer markets. With our ffp struggle, I think this is where we should focus our spending.

If we're going like-for-like there's every chance we won't go for the transfer/first team focussed DOF. By all accounts Ashworth wasn't really directly involved in scouting or identifying players, he was more of an administrator organising all aspects of the football side of things.

One that helps us sign some players and in turn win some games of football. Although I really do think people are overestimating the influence that this role has on visible (to us outsiders) outcomes. We've got much bigger priorities in terms of the playing squad, training ground, SJP & commercial deals IMO.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

One that helps us sign some players and in turn win some games of football. Although I really do think people are overestimating the influence that this role has on visible (to us outsiders) outcomes. We've got much bigger priorities in terms of the playing squad, training ground, SJP & commercial deals IMO.

and second to what this guy said. Just get in somebody with a good track record of building up squads and infrastructure please 

Couldn’t give a crap who it is. All based on FM stats and who’s got the most connections in the press to big up their name. Like Monchi is a prime example of someone who’s got a name, goes to clubs and regularly involved with crap.

Just needs to be someone that’s competent in the role, able to work with senior figures who are loud and control them, joining up the dots, and strong in negotiations. 

In my opinion, there’s nothing worse sometimes than getting someone who’s been established at clubs. As it usually results in them sticking to their previous behaviours, with Chelsea a prime example of over past 18 months. Guys involved in transfers who are just bringing players in from clubs they’ve been at previously.

I know this is harsh but what I’m hoping for is for someone to come in and oversee us poaching youth players before they are about to sign a professional contract, so they sign their first one with us and we pay their old club compensation.

Liverpool have done this really well over the last few years and it is a way to boost the academy in the short term.

I'm not completely clear on the sporting director role TBH. He basically oversees all the football-related activity as opposed to the commercial?

So he is interested in recruitment but it's not the only thing, and he's not the person that actually does it.

So you need a capable exec with a record in building and running all sorts of teams, but also ideally someone who has taken a club from a low to higher position. 

As to who it could be, I haven't a clue. But I'm sure it shouldn't be someone like Rafa who has never done the job before. 

I don’t really know the names but someone from abroad who has the contact book, who’s our main negotiation person on the deals, and doesn’t neglect the infrastructure building we’ve begun since the takeover and Ashworth came on.  Whether that means we have 1 for 1 replacement or 1 for 2, don’t care.