Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United (24/02/24) | Reaction: pg 43

Disco

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I still find it crushingly depressing to see us murdered while looking like amateurs. I know it’s just a matter of time but I can’t wait for the day when we can complete with these teams for technical quality. 

We couldn't even compete with them physically today, never mind technically. But you need a midfield to do that, and all our players who can motor a bit have been missing most of the season.

7 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

I am not sure many of us expected to go to The Emirates tonight and come away with a win, but it's the manner of the defeat.

Sentence of the night. Always the manner, and it was not good.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's been very 94/95 if you're old enough to remember. Barnstorming start, injuries, play through it well, brilliant in Europe, injuries catch up, dumped ourt of Europe, ultimately succumb to it in the end. It's only missing us selling our star striker.

Antwerp was amazing but I don’t think you can say one amazing round and then throwing away the second round to be brilliant 😄

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Antwerp was amazing but I don’t think you can say one amazing round and then throwing away the second round to be brilliant 😄

No I know, that's the dumped out part. :lol: Threw it away from a position of absolute comfort. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What we also saw tonight was how much FFP is doing its job.

Arsenal have spent an absolutely ridiculous sum even compared to us the last 5 years. We're not allowed to compete. 

Keown's just basically said the same thing although he didn't put it quite so bluntly. Just said we were hamstrung by FFP.

Positives from the game...

No injuries... I think.

Bruno didn't get booked.

That's the hardest game on paper out of the way. 

Options on the bench with hopefully Anderson and Pope back soon. 

We are still positive in goal difference.

Now on to Ewood Park! Anyone else sitting in the home end? 👀

26 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Keegan that summer was ruthless in the transfer market, we need to do that again.

With ffp it's worth recalling he probably made a profit  that year doing that. 

29 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Keegan that summer was ruthless in the transfer market, we need to do that again.

I agree. I think we just need to remember that just like that year that might mean us screaming "why have we sold/signed...!?" before we realise that Howe knows what he's doing and we're clueless.

45 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Agreed. My biggest criticism of Howe is being too loyal. Last summer was the time to cash in on Miggy, Wilson and Longstaff. Especially with our FFP restrictions. They are worth half of that value this summer. 

25 minutes ago, CPL said:

Positives from the game...

No injuries... I think.

Bruno didn't get booked.

That's the hardest game on paper out of the way. 

Options on the bench with hopefully Anderson and Pope back soon. 

We are still positive in goal difference.

Now on to Ewood Park! Anyone else sitting in the home end? 👀

Also scored away at Arsenal for the first time in ten years, according to the commentary team.

It was a hiding but I'm not that arsed. I feel with Willock, Barnes and Isak back, we can have a good run in if Isak can stay fit. This was probably the last really difficult game, and we need a full squad to compete with the really top clubs in the division.

12 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

Agreed. My biggest criticism of Howe is being too loyal. Last summer was the time to cash in on Miggy, Wilson and Longstaff. Especially with our FFP restrictions. They are worth half of that value this summer. 

Easy to say in hindsight. Those 3 had superb seasons last year to get us into the Champions League. Obviously this season has been very difficult for those 3 and pretty much the whole squad aside from 2/3. 

I do agree however that I'd be okay seeing all 3 leave this summer to facilitate what we need to bring in.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's been very 94/95 if you're old enough to remember. Barnstorming start, injuries, play through it well, brilliant in Europe, injuries catch up, dumped ourt of Europe, ultimately succumb to it in the end. It's only missing us selling our star striker.

'We'll be going for that title next season' then.. 'I'd love it if we beat them, love it' next season.

15 minutes ago, TRon said:

I feel with Willock, Barnes and Isak back, we can have a good run in if Isak can stay fit. T

Im not confident at all going on a good run with this midfield. Its just so easy to play against us. If Luton, Forest and Bournemouth can hack us open time after time, so can Wolves and Chelsea. We did it well agaisnt Villa so there is still hope I guess.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Football isn't just about one player vs another though. 

Then what was the purpose of your post? It said "Yeah, so about Dan Burn..."

Because if the point was not that you thought that he, as a singular player, would make a difference here, then I'm struggling to understand what it was. Everyone knew we would lose today regardless, doesn't really matter whether we play Burn or not imo.

Edited by Erikse

Am I the only 1 that didn't think the whole game was THAT bad. Liverpool was atrocious for me, this was nowhere near that. They came out on fire for 25 mins and we were terrible, but then got a bit of a grip, it didn't make a dent. 2nd half we had a mad 5 mins, but had much more of a grip on the game. 

You have to take into account teams are barely having shots on target against Arsenal atm, they're just in great form.