Newcastle United vs. Tottenham Hotspur: 13/4/24 @ 12:30 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Not a chance Tino starts. 

I actually agree with you but how do you know these things?

50 minutes ago, Rod said:

I can't believe the negativity on here.  Our fans are honestly getting worse.  Tough game that we win 2-1.  See you all tomorrow.:)

I'll be cracking open a few in your honour when we win tomorrow Rod! 

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

?

"Certainly there is a cautionary tale there," the 58-year-old said.

No there isn't.

"It has been tough on Newcastle this year because the progress last year was fantastic.

"The reward for that was Champions League and this year, for whatever reason, it has made it a really challenging season on all fronts for them."

Because we have had half the squad injured all season. Do a little research prick.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

No there isn't.

"It has been tough on Newcastle this year because the progress last year was fantastic.

"The reward for that was Champions League and this year, for whatever reason, it has made it a really challenging season on all fronts for them."

Because we have had half the squad injured all season. Do a little research prick.

Isnt he just saying the CL is demanding and that has affected us?

Just now, nufc123 said:

Isnt he just saying the CL is demanding and that has affected us?

He's trying to use us as a cushion if things go tits up for him next season. The thing that has affected us is the never ending injury saga. It's deceitful.

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

He's trying to use us as a cushion if things go tits up for him next season. The thing that has affected us is the never ending injury saga. It's deceitful.

Well yes…. Isn’t that the caution he’s talking about?!! 

Stop taking things so personal ffs he even says later in the quote that you have to be ready for the demands on the squad, that was literally it. 

1 minute ago, Elliottman said:

Well yes…. Isn’t that the caution he’s talking about?!! 

Stop taking things so personal ffs he even says later in the quote that you have to be ready for the demands on the squad, that was literally it. 

So playing 6 extra games this season is what's caused our never ending injury crisis long after we've not even been in the competition?

7 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

He talks better than most Pl managers. You dont think CL have affected the never ending injury saga?

Edited by nufc123

Just now, nufc123 said:

He talks better than most Pl managers. You dont think CL have affected the never ending inury saga?

It has played a small part but it is way beyond that. It's the (intended) intensity of our play and the demands of that which have caused our injury crisis, not qualifying for the Champions League.

8 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

It has played a small part but it is way beyond that. It's the (intended) intensity of our play and the demands of that which have caused our injury crisis, not qualifying for the Champions League.

So the six extra hard CL games with full intensity did only affect us small part? I think its a big part.

Edited by nufc123

15 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

No there isn't.

He was just saying the other day that we have been unlucky and brutally hit with injuries to be fair. He seemed to be saying that just because you finish top 4 doesn't mean there should be expectations that you then should finish even higher the next season when in reality it's way more of a challenge. 

No European football last season definitely helped us finish top 4, and similarly for Spurs it's helped them be right up there this season. 

11 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

So playing 6 extra games this season is what's caused our never ending injury crisis long after we've not even been in the competition?

It was those 6 extra games, squeezed into an already busy schedule that started the snowball rolling with regards to our injury issues. 

I mean, it's inconsequential to NUFC fans, so I don't know why we'd be offended by what he said. It's less a dig at the club and more just a pre-emptive excuse for his own.

Unless there's more context in the interview I wouldn't be impressed as a Spurs fan. Extremely reductive take and gives me Pardstastic 'we're better off without Europe' flashbacks.

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

No there isn't.

He talked about that the other day, as Jaqen said. Do a little research…er…Skeletor.

In all seriousness Skeletor, there have been months and months on here of people talking about how the style of play and number, intensity and frequency of games took its toll. Then when you started getting injuries it  became a bit of a spiral, putting added pressure on a depleted squad and meaning players might get “rushed” back a bit. I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Earlier this week he said “Eddie” had had horrible luck with injuries.

11 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

In all seriousness Skeletor, there have been months and months on here of people talking about how the style of play and number, intensity and frequency of games took its toll. Then when you started getting injuries it  became a bit of a spiral, putting added pressure on a depleted squad and meaning players might get “rushed” back a bit. I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick. Earlier this week he said “Eddie” had had horrible luck with injuries.

How humble of him.

As he said himself:

""The reward for that was Champions League and this year, for whatever reason, it has made it a really challenging season on all fronts for them."

That to me comes across as "Don't be like little Newcastle qualifying for a competition that you don't belong in." He definitely chose his words very poorly.

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

How humble of him.

As he said himself:

""The reward for that was Champions League and this year, for whatever reason, it has made it a really challenging season on all fronts for them."

That to me comes across as "Don't be like little Newcastle qualifying for a competition that you don't belong in." He definitely chose his words very poorly.

I genuinely think you’re being a bit weird here. It has been a really challenging season for you, and he’s already said you’ve had to deal with a ton of injuries. Before he even got to us he was having to defend his record of achievements with “small” sides in “small” leagues. He’s the last guy to be saying you’re “little Newcastle”.

I think there’s definitely an argument to be made that he’s downplaying the CL in case we don’t get it this year (I think it’s wrong, but it can be made). I don’t think he’s taking the piss out of you.