Manchester United 3-2 Newcastle United (15/05/24) | Reaction: pg 53

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

Longstaff didn't contest a single duel tonight. Don't think I've ever seen that before. 

For context Joelinton came on and competed in 11 (winning 7).

What’s the criteria for that? Is that in the air? As he contested a 50/50 with Amrabat end of first half.

Posted (edited)

Did I hear the commentator right..."Man United haven't lost after going ahead in a league game at Old Trafford since 1984" !?! Surely I misheard or that's a lie.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Don't think they were shite at all mind. Casemiro and Amrabat tag-teamed very well off the ball, Diallo was tricky and Fernando's obviously quality. 

Man Utd are a total basket case but it's very vogue to go OTT on how shite they actually are, just because they pale in comparison to Ferguson's sides. 

They repeatedly passed the ball directly to our players, Casemiro is an absolute liability which we completely failed to capitalise on.

All three of their goals you could argue we had a hand in. Make no mistake, they are shit and a one man team. We were just worse on the night.

Wilson’s unavailability cost us again, Isak was clearly a passenger. We had 1 or 2 too many cloggers out there - probably still edged the game but somehow they’ve scored 3 goals.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If you're pointing your finger at individuals then of course, Trippier for goals one and two then Dubs for goal three... but Longstaff not putting that gilt-edged chance away was just as bad. Isak not great also but in fairness to Amrabat it was a great recovery. But anyone with a bit of guile arrows that Longstaff effort into the bottom corner. Again just so bloody frustrating. 

It makes no sense to leave your No 1 stopper on the bench in such an important game too. I mean, why? Agreed, it's so frustrating. There for the taking tonight. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, ChrisJbarnes said:

We are not yet in the position whereby we can demand a result at Old Trafford with an injury ravaged squad. 

What a frustrating game and result. A spirited performance and plenty of attacking intent but glaring chances missed and gifting 3 goals more or less to Man U.

I can't knock the attitude of the players and the coaching has been great but ultimately the limitations of our squad players (who have been our XI for pretty much the whole season) have been perfectly demonstrated. Longstaff, Anderson (young), Krafth, Dubravka, Murphy are not players that we really want near the starting XI if we are going to progress.

That and a poor performance from Trippier. 

I believe and hope we can beat Brentford which would be a good way to end the season on a high in 7th and respectable given all that's happened. Fail to win and we don't deserve any sort of Europe. 

Any players that are Ashley era, bar schar / Joe's need shifting on.

Bargain basement players.

Edited by mighty__mag

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Did I hear the commentator right..."Man United haven't lost after going ahead in a league game since 1984" !?! Surely I misheard or that's a lie.

They haven't lost at Old Trafford since being ahead at half time in ages.

Did I hear the commentator right..."Man United haven't lost after going ahead in a league game since 1984" !?! Surely I misheard or that's a lie.

when leading at OT at half time I think.

If leading at half-time, I think it was?

21 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Another game, another poor performance, really poor defensively and in the final third

Would rather we finished 8th now then play against some random team from Lithuania on a Thursday night

Dubravka - 4

Hall - 6

Burn - 5

Kraft - 5

Trippier - 4

Anderson - 5

Bruno - 5.5

Longstaff - 4

Gordon - 6.5

Murphy - 5

Isak - 5

Barnes - 5

Almiron - 5

Schar - 5

Joelinton - 5

be some class trips and it’s a competition we could win. 

Vilnius is a lovely place fwiw 

Jim Beglin putting in one of the worst ever co-commentary performances tonight. He's been dogshit for 20 years now, how does he continue to get work?

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I thought I heard that too and thought I must need me ears checking. Insane stat if true.

Just now, Geordie_once_removed said:

I thought I heard that too and thought I must need me ears checking. Insane stat if true.

Think it’s at OT

I missed the game as was out - can someone sum it? were we robbed a pen again? did dubs just do nought again?

Just now, duo said:

I missed the game as was out - can someone sum it? were we robbed a pen again? did dubs just do nought again?

Poor for majority. Robbed of a pen. Still wasted great chances. Pathetic mistakes cost 3 goals. 

Mixed bag, opportunity missed again. 

Just now, duo said:

Should've had a pen.

Dubs should save the 3rd.

We missed loads of chances.

We defending abysmally.

Looking back at the replay from the Almiron chance I think it's a bit harsh to blame him. Gordon went for goal with a shot which went wide and was too hard for Miggy to reach in time. Looked like he would have timed his run pretty well if it had been a pass.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Don't think they were shite at all mind. Casemiro and Amrabat tag-teamed very well off the ball, Diallo was tricky and Fernando's obviously quality. 

Man Utd are a total basket case but it's very vogue to go OTT on how shite they actually are, just because they pale in comparison to Ferguson's sides. 

They gifted us so many chances. And most of their chances were gifts from us. So yeah shit, just like we were.

Edited by Displayname

Still should have had what was a stonewall pen, Isak should've scored, Gordon/Almiron should've scored, Longstaff definitely should've scored.
But was just an all round awful performance. We let them control midfield and didn't change it up at half time. The defending for the goals was sunday league.

Says a lot about some of our players lack of ability to step up for the big games that we made Casimero and Amrabat look world class after a year of them stinking up the premier league. Their younger players all looked miles better than ours too, but I guess they get to choose the pick of the bunch when it comes to the Mainoos or Amads.