Next season

Rod

What this season has shown us is you need depth, two squads, with real good cover to come in and to be able to compete.

Players that are capable of switching positions, City are blessed with players who'll slot into various roles when they get injuries or suspension, or just need to rest players.

Arsenal and Liverpool rattled up enough points to win the league themselves with the points they totaled this season, but all three were so tightly contested, with City just having more when it comes to squad depth.

While I get behind @Rodpassion and desire, I just feel until we can fuck off this FFP,PSR, bullshit, remove the shackles and bring in the quality needed to play all those games required to be at the top and stay at the top, it's going to be hard.

Those other teams have had a head start on us for decades, and let's not forget we had an absolute wanker running us during those times.

Our progress has been immense. Quite happy with how things are moving if I'm honest.

11 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Think the Conference League (should we be in it) will stop us challenging at the top of the league sadly 

Do think we will have a good season though, assuming we don’t have the likes of Longstaff playing every week and Dumbo doesn’t play a single minute between the sticks 

Can you not wait a day before you piss the bed man

I think this competition is perfect for us next season. We were pretty shafted last season by having a nightmare start where rotating players was tricky, then the Champions League draw. Next season we'll be in a position where we can make 5-6 changes from the weekend to the Thursday and still be good enough to win in both. 

I see a top 4 finish mainly as I look at our rivals (except Arsenal and City) and see some clear weaknesses.

Liverpool have a creaking defence and have been spoony this season, I see a post Klopp hangover coming.

Villa I see as the biggest rival but they faded at the end of the season and the rigours of the Champions League might stretch their squad like it did ours causing a similar drop off to us. 

Spurs faded even worse than Villa and I think they'll struggle even more as teams adapt to Ange's tactics quicker than he can (or will) adapt in turn, if I were a Spurs fan his body language during some of those recent defeats would concern me he just didn't seem to know what to do.

Chelsea are a close second behind Villa in terms of our biggest threat, their team has a lot of talent I just hope they do something stupid like sack Pochettino who seems to be slowly turning a group of individuals into something resembling a team. 

Man U, based on their curret players I don't see anything to fear and they won't be able to sign all the players needed to change this. All their bluster over Ashworth is because they can't afford to even pay half a reasonable release fee.  It seems they'll have a new manager (which will impact their recruitment both financially and in terms of planning) and their recent record here isn't great, so I hope for another season of mediocrity for them.

Interesting season coming. I can see ManU, Chelsea and also a dark horse in Crystal Palace a strong contender as our rivals, can see Liverpool, Aston Villa and Spurs become weaker. We absolutely have to make the right signings and manage the schedule better than this season. Can't wait. :)

1 minute ago, papo said:

Interesting season coming. I can see ManU, Chelsea and also a dark horse in Crystal Palace a strong contender as our rivals, can see Liverpool, Aston Villa and Spurs become weaker. We absolutely have to make the right signings and manage the schedule better than this season. Can't wait. :)

Crystal Palace could have a good season but more likely they will make big bucks selling Eze, Wharton or Elise this summer and replace with someone who will take a season or two to bed in, then one of the other star players will get a season ending injury and they will end up comfortable mid table. They have no ambitions beyond staying in the league. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Crystal Palace could have a good season but more likely they will make big bucks selling Eze, Wharton or Elise this summer and replace with someone who will take a season or two to bed in, then one of the other star players will get a season ending injury and they will end up comfortable mid table. They have no ambitions beyond staying in the league. 

Their record is incredbile since Glasner came in. Maybe this have opened their eyes a bit and they become hungry for a bit more success. If Mateta is fit for the most of their season and if they are as good in the transfer window as they were in the last 1/3 part of the season I can see them do really well. Hope their honeymoon period is ending soon tbh :D

Edited by papo
correction

They always blow hot and cold though. Glasner may well improve them, can definitely see an improved season, doubt they will trouble the european places, and most likely they will do what they normally do and be rubbish for a chunk of the season below the radar then win a lot bit later in season to get back to respectable mid table. 

Palace still have Franca to bring in with Wharton,Olise,Eze,Mateta.

Anderson, Guehi and Richards, three decent Centre backs.

I was about to say their weak positions are fullback and goalkeeper, but Munoz and Henderson look fairly decent.

I think the thing with Palace was having the courage to sack Hodgson, and start to change things, stop playing the likes of Ward,Tomkins,Schlupp, Ayew, all the time, and try and have a younger more talented side.

With Palace, and many other teams, once they lose those key players, there's no depth, nobody good enough to cover Eze, Olise, etc.

Plus I think they'll struggle to keep key players, Olise,Eze,Guehi, those three are on many teams radar, possibly Anderson.

We have so many positives to take in to next season. Tonali back for a start, Lewis Miley with a season and another pre season under his belt, Lewis Hall looking really good the last few weeks. Keep Bruno, Gordon & Isak, Get a few quality players in and sort the injuries out and we have a real chance of top 4 and winning a trophy 

I'll say 2nd.

When Kev blasted us into the PL we wooed everyone by finishing 3rd, had a wobbly 6th place finish the next year and then finished 2nd. I'm backing Eddie to do the same. Livra, Hall, Tonali, Pope (or new goalie), Joelinton, Barnes will all be like new signings. Then we'll have 2 or 3 actual new signings and hopefully keep hold of Bruno.

I think we'll blow everyone away in the first half the season and then run out of steam in March.

It's a shame Pep isn't leaving this summer, like. Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, possibly Chelsea if they're really that insane, inevitably Spurs in the not-too-distant future... all changing managers / going through transitional seasons? The door would be very much ajar for an outsider to challenge. Not necessarily win, but for once be meaningfully in the mix. 

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I think they’ll be cannibalised for at least one of Olise or Eze this summer.

Not sure where to place. What a load of bollocks. City essentially had an unlimited budget. Our spending remains severely constrained unless we sell our best players.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-premier-league-23-24-season-losers-kompany-ten-hag-newcastle

After being taken over in September 2008, Manchester City improved both their points tally and position season upon season until winning the Premier League title four years later.

They remain the most relevant comparison to draw with Newcastle, whose rise from 11th to 49 points to 4th with 71 has been followed with a fall to 7th with 60.

1 minute ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Not sure where to place. What a load of bollocks. City essentially had an unlimited budget. Our spending remains severely constrained unless we sell our best players.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-premier-league-23-24-season-losers-kompany-ten-hag-newcastle

Comparing apples with oranges. Between the PSR clampdown and shutdown of Related Party Transactions it’s almost a different sport.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's a shame Pep isn't leaving this summer, like. Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, possibly Chelsea if they're really that insane, inevitably Spurs in the not-too-distant future... all changing managers / going through transitional seasons? The door would be very much ajar for an outsider to challenge. Not necessarily win, but for once be meaningfully in the mix. 

Hopefully he might think he's won everything so he might just go.

The EPL is just boring now same team winning it 4 years straight, what makes it less competitive is the teams below are handicapped by FFP and can't catch them. Realistically Man City could buy Bruno and Isak off us and piss the league next season which pushes us further away.

Uncompetitive 

Predictable 

Boring 

I don't think we necessarily need to get into the top 4 next season to progress and for me to be happy (though we prob do to keep certain players) - there could be a lot of big, good teams going for it, but I at least want to see us in the mix for it til the end.