Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

Just now, Ikon said:

So many talking about dropping Foden. HE isn’t the issue! It’s the setup. 

Lineker nailed it the other day. Most of them have been coached to press and attack so bland Gareth is stifling then all being passive. They look lost

A genuine left back in the team and suddenly Foden left wing isn’t as bad. 

I know it’s tough with the pressure and most teams here are capable teams that shouldn’t be underestimated, but I’m desperate to just see us look like we are enjoying our football. Loosen up and be more expressive. 

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

I know it’s tough with the pressure and most teams here are capable teams that shouldn’t be underestimated, but I’m desperate to just see us look like we are enjoying our football. Loosen up and be more expressive. 

Problem is Foden has spent most of the games away from the left wing.

It really was absurd not to bring another recognised LB. I guess maybe that's why he took Gomez and not Branthwaite in hindsight. 

There's going to be a huge opportunity for someone over the next season or two to take that England LB spot for the next World Cup.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

It really was absurd not to bring another recognised LB. I guess maybe that's why he took Gomez and not Branthwaite in hindsight. 

There's going to be a huge opportunity for someone over the next season or two to take that England LB spot for the next World Cup.

Big Lewis Hall 😊

Just now, Aiston said:

But that is exactly why you need a left footed LB. So that they can provide the width when Foden drifts inside. He's only the problem because Shaw isn't available.

3 minutes ago, Ste said:

I don't think it's anything to do with a genuine LB. Trippier is just as good as a true LB. The problem is Foden isn't an out and out winger. He drifts central and leaves the left exposed. Even a true LB would need help.

Just now, alexf said:

Big Lewis Hall 😊

Two years time I can see that potentially being a good shout, this season will give us a good indication of whether that's possible or not.

Might all depend on who the manager is and what system they play. 3 at the back would open a whole different world of players who would suit a LWB role for England.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Yeah, and it’ll be an issue tonight when the full back pushing up is more likely to pass back to the halfway line then take it to the byline. An out and out left back in the side and Foden can take up some handy positions in the box. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

I don't think it's anything to do with a genuine LB. Trippier is just as good as a true LB. The problem is Foden isn't an out and out winger. He drifts central and leaves the left exposed. Even a true LB would need help.

In this set up, Trippier is well covered defensively with Rice, we really need that genuine attacking play from a true LB. Foden tracking back isn’t as necessary with Southgate’s two holding midfielders.