Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

How the fuck Bellingham stayed on for the 90 last night is beyond me. Looked off it from minute 1. Was watching close, he was sauntering around not putting any effort in off the ball and did nothing on it. Genuinely thought maybe he's injured but then Gareth keeps him on.

Made worse but the fact every time Foden moved inside he actually looked good and dangerous on the ball. 

Really odd Gordon has got 0 minutes so far. He's the one player in the squad that can give width and pace on the left side and I felt sure he was a Gareth sort of player with his attitude and work rate.  

Gareth as usual can't even do basics by playing best players in their best positions. That midfield is a mess and is causing all sorts of issues through the whole team. 

All will be forgotten when you beat Slovenia and progress as group winners, football will be coming home again! Yes you’ve not been good but some teams just don’t click until the later stages of the tournament.

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

We don’t have any unit bar the right hand Side playing with balance. 

The front 3-4 don’t work well together. The central midfield is a mess. The left hand side is a mess. Central defence looks suspect under pressure. 

Left hand side is completely broken. We would be better off with a mid table left back and Gordon.  

You can’t get the best out of Rice, Bellingham and Foden imo at this stage. You have to drop 1. 

Give me 11 players playing to their strengths over 11 big names who don’t.  

Fair, but that's also up to Southgate. Lots of players that didn't start yesterday (or even get picked in the first place) would start for Serbia and/or Denmark. Shouldn't be that hard for him to stitch together a team and tactics that would be comfortable playing against those teams. They probably also have some cohesion problems of their own by the way, that's the case for most national teams.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Fair, but that's also up to Southgate. Lots of players that didn't start yesterday (or even get picked in the first place) would start for Serbia and/or Denmark.

This is where we get too caught up in individual players. Burn, Longstaff, Almiron etc. wouldn’t start for a lot of other PL teams. In other setups I don’t know good Joelinton would be. But we have a system that plays to their strengths and works as a team. 

Howe could start a combination that includes Isak, Wilson,  Barnes and Gordon our most talented players. But he doesn’t. He’s rather play to the strengths of 3 of those and have a more balanced team with inferior talents. That’s team building. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is where we get too caught up in individual players. Burn, Longstaff, Almiron etc. wouldn’t start for a lot of other PL teams. In other setups I don’t know good Joelinton would be. But we have a system that plays to their strengths and works as a team. 

The point is that he has a big number of players to choose from. It's up to him to make up the system and pick the players for that system to work, regardless of how big the name of the player is. Teams like Denmark don't have much luxury, because they don't have much quality to choose from. They might be lucky enough to have a system that works where they can also fit the stronger players, kudos to the coach for creating that system, if so.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

The point is that he has a big number of players to choose from. It's up to him to make up the system and pick the players for that system to work, regardless of how big the name of the player is. Teams like Denmark don't have much luxury, because they don't have much quality to choose from. They might be lucky enough to have a system that works where they can also fit the stronger players, kudos to the coach for creating that system, if so.

He doesn’t have ideal profiles at LB or Central Midfield. He can either pick players of less repute/ability or shoehorn a big name into those roles.  He’s ham fisting the front 3-4 though aye. 

People talk about this squad like it’s France. France have multiple ideal profiles at CB, CM, AM, ST.  Wingers and decent enough fullback options. I also think there’s less quality and depth of profiles than Portugal.  Way less balance than Germany or Spain in the squads. 

England narrowly beat this Denmark side 3 years ago at home via a last minute penalty in extra time. I don’t remember that game much but the result was the same at 90 minutes iirc. 

Don’t mean this to be a defence of Southgate. He’s fucking this up. 

Im glad he took Gordon. But he might as well have brought Rashford or Sterling - he would’ve actually used one of those by now and he knows they can play well for him.  He doesn’t trust Gordon like that. 

The combo between Gordon and Tripps on the left would work well. You just know that Tripps would play that little splitting through pass between the RB and CB when Gordon runs on the overlap. Something that they do in training every week and we see it week in week out.

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He doesn’t have ideal profiles at LB or Central Midfield. He can either pick players of less repute/ability or shoehorn a big name into those roles.  He’s ham fisting the front 3-4 though aye. 

People talk about this squad like it’s France. France have multiple ideal profiles at CB, CM, AM, ST.  Wingers and decent enough fullback options. I also think there’s less quality and depth of profiles than Portugal.  Way less balance than Germany or Spain in the squads. 

England narrowly beat this Denmark side 3 years ago at home via a last minute penalty in extra time. I don’t remember that game much but the result was the same at 90 minutes iirc. 

But if we go to the point about lack of quality available, then the point about the quality of the players from Serbia and Denmark becomes valid again. What type of ability does Serbia and Denmark have available in all the various positions? If you look at Denmarks midfield yesterday, I wouldn't exactly feel sorry for Southgate having to play someone like Wharton (or any mid table CM) alongside Rice and Bellingham. And that's ingoring the huge gap in quality in most positions compared to theirs, and solely focusing on the weaknesses of England.

Edited by Erikse

43 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

The combo between Gordon and Tripps on the left would work well. You just know that Tripps would play that little splitting through pass between the RB and CB when Gordon runs on the overlap. Something that they do in training every week and we see it week in week out.

If it would work so well why hasn't Howe tried it?

This is the thing about balance. We'd probably be better off with Lloyd Kelly at LB with Gordon in front of him than Trippier. But everyone wants to hamfist a non-LB there.

1 hour ago, Scotty66 said:

I think Tripps is defending well, but he (southgate tbf) is actually to blame for the lack of attacking intent down the left;

When a right sided defender plays on the left he controls the ball mostly with his right foot which means his body position is more likely to be facing towards his own goal/own half of the pitch and hence the passes are more than likely backwards or sidewards instead of forward. Also the overlaps with the wingers are voided when he has to double back on to his right foot to put crosses in...

Isn´t Tripps´fault but it means we are pretty rank attacking down the left!!

2 hours ago, Ronson333 said:

This did make me laugh and some of the responses are crackers too..

"he sits when he pees, he sits when he pees. gareth southgate, he sits when he pees"

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Don’t mean this to be a defence of Southgate. He’s fucking this up. 

Im glad he took Gordon. But he might as well have brought Rashford or Sterling - he would’ve actually used one of those by now and he knows they can play well for him.  He doesn’t trust Gordon like that. 

I'm not sure it's lack of trust but more they might offer more than what he wants from his team.

It sticks with me what he did to Grealish in the last euros.

There was a massive media push for him to start games, he then seemed reluctant to use him. Brought him on at 1.1 in the 70 min.

We went 2.1 up and then subbed him off at half time of extra time to bring a defender on.

Both Gordon and Palmer both play on the front foot and would maybe push for the second and third... And the media and fans would then be all over it adding to the pressure of the next game

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is the thing about balance. We'd probably be better off with Lloyd Kelly at LB with Gordon in front of him than Trippier. But everyone wants to hamfist a non-LB there.

tbf I doubt even on here many of us want Trippier playing at LB.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

It's not really about playing Tripps at LB it's more the connection between the two. They know each others game. Tripps knows the runs Gordon would make and he's more than capable of putting him in even on his weaker side.

Guarantee if Gordon is on the left he gets at least 2 or 3 big scoring/assist opportunities from a trippier pass.