Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

Chris Wood was exactly what we needed at that time and did his job well imo. We got back most of what we paid for him too. 

10 hours ago, El Jardinero said:

The negative reactions are completely reasonable. You say it yourself, and you are right, that he has been dreadful in the past few seasons. I would go further and ask; when has he ever been good?

Is he a player who possesses the qualities that a club with top 4-5 ambitions should have? The answer is pretty obvious.

The answer might be Eddie thinks he is. He’s certainly a long time admirer. 

Goal scoring isn’t an issue for the club so I’m a bit baffled as to why they’d be interested in a player with a suspect injury record and poor goal record. What can really go wrong here……

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Was Gordon on anyone’s wish list?

Sometimes links come up and then the more you think about it, the more you think it makes sense.

He was on mine. So was Palmer and Gallagher (ok and Phillips), and now Gallagher’s out of reach, so is Onana. 

2 hours ago, SteV said:

I rate him. Others don’t. That’s fine, cos it’s obviously subjective.

But there’s a difference in not rating him, and labelling him a ‘crock’ because you don’t rate him.

That's a good point, but the rhetoric of the folk that rate him v. those that think he's horseshit is incredibly divisive. Most of us trust Eddie and the broader NUFC hierarchy/team to make the right decisions for the club. But that doesn't mean some of us can't think DCL is shit. We're not critiquing the club, just a player that isn't rated and doesn't have a particularly good record.

Just now, toon25 said:

That's a good point, but the rhetoric of the folk that rate him v. those that think he's horseshit is incredibly divisive. Most of us trust Eddie and the broader NUFC hierarchy/team to make the right decisions for the club. But that doesn't mean some of us can't think DCL is shit. We're not critiquing the club, just a player that isn't rated and doesn't have a particularly good record.

I see what you are saying but if you think the team is going for a shit player, are you not questioning the teams judgement and ability to run the team well? What well run team goes in for a SHIT player?

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Grand total of 8 goals mind. 

Chris Wood has more consistent PL pedigree.  

In fairness Everton weren’t exactly creating a boat load of chances. He was highly rated a few years back but seems to have lost his way a bit and suffered from injuries. His fitness looks like it’s improved recently and maybe he just needs a change, Gordon’s done pretty well following the move. I can see why the club are looking at him to be honest especially as a back up striker if he doesn’t cost that much. It won’t eat into our budget too much and will still allow for a fair chunk on RW and hopefully R CB to come in. I can also see why people are less enthused by this as a signing but I’m pretty comfortable with it.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

6 hours ago, JJ7 said:

Chris Wood was exactly what we needed at that time and did his job well imo. We got back most of what we paid for him too. 

In with you on that - came in with no fuss, got on with his job with no fuss then left with no fuss when wasn’t needed - I wish some others who refuse to leave had the same attitude.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

In fairness Everton weren’t exactly creating a boat load of chances. He was highly rated a few years back but seems to have lost his way a bit and suffered from injuries. His fitness looks like it’s improved recently and maybe he just needs a change, Gordon’s done pretty well following the move. I can see why the club are looking at him to be honest especially as a back up striker if he doesn’t cost that much. It won’t eat into our budget too much and will still allow for a fair chunk on RW and hopefully R CB to come in. I can also see why people are less enthused by this as a signing but I’m pretty comfortable with it.

I’m still intrigued when people say he won’t cost much the most reliable source so far is the Times which says Everton want 37 million, not to mention I’d hazard a guess he’s probably one of Everton’s highest paid players.

7 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Old enough to remember George Reilly? Tony Cunningham? Frank Pingel?

He's barely in the 'top' 10 shit strikers in my nufc watching. He effectively cost us about £5m or whatever and did a job, struggling to hold a pathetic grudge over him compared to many others

10 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

From the Times would you be happy paying 37 million ?

Newcastle United are pushing ahead with their interest in the Everton forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin as they seek to bolster their forward options.

There has been contact between the clubs with regard to the future of Calvert-Lewin, who has 12 months remaining on his contract and is not minded to sign an extension. Everton are seeking about £37million if they are to sell the striker.

Everton have offered a new deal to the 27-year-old, but the uncertainty over the ownership of the club means there is little incentive for the forward to put pen to paper.

Absolutely not.

7 hours ago, JJ7 said:

He was absolutely dire the entire time he was here. Couldn’t hold the ball up, couldn’t bring others in to play and couldn’t score for love nor money. The fact we managed to recoup the outlay on him seems to have erased people’s memories. 

Similar meltdown when the Gordon rumours were kicking around.

We need a striker that can hold up the ball who we can bring on with 15 mins left if we’re trying to protect a result. Last season at times we couldn’t hold on to the ball towards the end of a game. E.g. PSG away. DCL is perfect for that role.

He won’t be starting for us and he has nothing to do with Minteh leaving. Minteh leaving is to get profit in this year. 

It’s not that bad, stop crying.

24 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

He's barely in the 'top' 10 shit strikers in my nufc watching. He effectively cost us about £5m or whatever and did a job, struggling to hold a pathetic grudge over him compared to many others

The topic was our worst signings since the takeover. He’s bound to be discussed in that without it having to be labelled a grudge imo. Do people have a “grudge” against Targett too?

I'm slowly coming round to this prem proven idealogy that the club seems to prefer. We'll go for prem unproven this window but I suspect they will all have pedigree that players like Minteh don't. 

Next season is arguably our most important season and ensuring we're getting CL, it's finances and the profile associated with being CL club is probably the most important factor for the growth of this club.

We can of course find a million and one players who might be better and more exciting but pushing for that CL target will be much more difficult with a squad that contains 5-6 gambles. 

Edited by Thumbheed

3 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

How are people going to justify a fee north of £20m to themselves? Looking forward to the mental gymnastics. 

We paid £25 million for a 30 year old Chris Wood, that is not as good a player.

Talk of £20 million for any Premier League striker that has had any kind of previous success in the league is fanciful, never mind one that is still just 27 years old and has also previously featured for the national team, and so prepare to be disappointed.

Best case scenario, even in the last year of his contract is likely to be £25 - £30 million I'd imagine.

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I'm slowly coming round to this prem proven idealogy that the club seems to prefer. We'll go for prem unproven this window but I suspect they will all have pedigree that players like Minteh don't. 

Next season is arguably our most important season and ensuring we're getting CL, it's finances and the profile associated with being CL club is probably our most important factor for the growth of this club.

We can of course find a million and one players who might be better and more exciting but pushing for that CL target will be much more difficult with a squd of 5-6 gambles. 

I'm perfectly happy with it.  Build a PL-capable squad, get fully established at the top of the table, start replacing them with bigger names.  Our best bet is to have say 18 PL-proven players with the Isaks and Brunos liberally dusted in.  DCL is a replacement for an injury-prone and ageing Wilson (who is one of my favourite NUFC no. 9s).  I'd rather DCL than an unproven 30m forward from a second tier European league.  We're not in a position to gamble ATM.

4 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Next season is arguably our most important season and ensuring we're getting CL, it's finances and the profile associated with being CL club is probably our most important factor for the growth of this club.

We can of course find a million and one players who might be better and more exciting but pushing for that CL target will be much more difficult with a squd of 5-6 gambles. 

This is a big part of these kinds of moves, trying to ensure we can consolidate a position in the top 4 or at least the European places consistently, by building up the squad with a number of players that can do the business in the league. 

Thanks to the Mike Ashley years we have very little room for error. Any major busts in the market and we are screwed big time, because they won't be easy to rectify by just going and buying someone else.

35 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m still intrigued when people say he won’t cost much the most reliable source so far is the Times which says Everton want 37 million, not to mention I’d hazard a guess he’s probably one of Everton’s highest paid players.

He's in the final year of his contract, I’d be staggered if we were to pay anything like that and it’s also not like he’s been a goal machine recently to push the price up. I agree I wouldn’t be happy paying anything like 37m

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

This is a big part of these kinds of moves, trying to ensure we can consolidate a position in the top 4 or at least the European places consistently, by building up the squad with a number of players that can do the business in the league. 

Thanks to the Mike Ashley years we have very little room for error. Any major busts in the market and we are screwed big time, because they won't be easy to rectify by just going and buying someone else.

Key point being missed this.  I suspect that the Tonali transfer will have further fueled this as a concern, too (not looking to bring up whether or not we should have known etc).