Last 16: Romania 0-3 Netherlands; Austria 1-2 Turkey

Yorkie

Mainly just a lack of quality end product for me. Sometimes it feels like we are watching lower half PL sides. Spain have played the best football by a mile, but even they have a bit of a donkey up front.

I think this has been a trend for a while now, but we don't really see many goals direct from free kicks these days. Not sure if that's because they are defended better or we just don't have people who can hit them like in the past.

28 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Why do we think this tournament hasn't been great? Few of my thoughts:

Lack of really good games and consistent top performances from elite players

Allowing so many 3rd placed teams through means there's a lack of jeopardy if the big teams do lose a game

Every team playing out slowly from the back.  Not many teams have a variety in their play which is why the Spain wingers have been the most talked about because they actually try to run past players. 

VAR - it's worked better in this tournament than in the Prem but it's completely diluting the football experience. That Denmark- Germany game was ruined by VAR

Tournament fatigue- with covid we've had two Euros and a winter world cup within 3 years.  I don't like to complain about watching too much football but I think even I'm struggling for motivation

Just poor quality games.
Emphasis on Guardiola “build from the back” bollocks in all teams.

The big boys not turning up and scraping 1-0 wins.

Other than Austria-Netherlands, no real ‘basketball’ games.

Co-Commentators I genuinely hate.

34 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Allowing so many 3rd placed teams through means there's a lack of jeopardy if the big teams do lose a game

Every team playing out slowly from the back.  Not many teams have a variety in their play which is why the Spain wingers have been the most talked about because they actually try to run past players. 

VAR - it's worked better in this tournament than in the Prem but it's completely diluting the football experience. That Denmark- Germany game was ruined by VAR

Tournament fatigue- with covid we've had two Euros and a winter world cup within 3 years.  I don't like to complain about watching too much football but I think even I'm struggling for motivation

Teams have perfected the low block and coaching and analytics have turned a lot of football games into robotic, snoozefests. 

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

He meant Slovenia, no? They were just talking about how hard they'd worked.

No idea mate I must have misinterpreted it

48 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Think you've nailed it. Only thing missing I'd say is player fatigue.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Mainly just a lack of quality end product for me. Sometimes it feels like we are watching lower half PL sides. Spain have played the best football by a mile, but even they have a bit of a donkey up front.

I think this has been a trend for a while now, but we don't really see many goals direct from free kicks these days. Not sure if that's because they are defended better or we just don't have people who can hit them like in the past.

You leave Joselu alone! He's a CL winner for RM. Not a donkey. 🤣

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, joeyt said:

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Teams have perfected the low block and coaching and analytics have turned a lot of football games into robotic, snoozefests. 

IMO both of you nailed it. It's the "Guardiolization" of football. All the teams play the same. Short pass -> Carousel of players around the player with the possession -> Short pass -> Carousel -> Short pass -> Carousel -> etc.

This is why I don't even care for watching Man City games in Europe, as they are extremely boring.

Years ago, different NTs had different approaches to the game:

England was strong on the long passes and the physical fight for the second ball;

Italy was mostly strong on defending and being cynical;

The Netherlands had an anarchical approach to the game making it extremely fun to watch;

Germany was tactically very disciplined and always had dangerous strikers;

Portugal was physically weaker but had extremely talented midfielders and wingers that were very strong on the 1vs1.

And so on. Seeing these different styles clash was interesting. But now, Portugal, France, England, etc, all play the same. Who wins or loses is just a matter of details. Whoever makes less mistakes defending usually wins.

There is no clash of footballing philosophies/schools anymore. It's just gray everywhere.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

1 hour ago, TenkoDaLuz said:

IMO both of you nailed it. It's the "Guardiolization" of football. All the teams play the same. Short pass -> Carousel of players around the player with the possession -> Short pass -> Carousel -> Short pass -> Carousel -> etc.

This is why I don't even care for watching Man City games in Europe, as they are extremely boring.

Years ago, different NTs had different approaches to the game:

England was strong on the long passes and the physical fight for the second ball;

Italy was mostly strong on defending and being cynical;

The Netherlands had an anarchical approach to the game making it extremely fun to watch;

Germany was tactically very disciplined and always had dangerous strikers;

Portugal was physically weaker but had extremely talented midfielders and wingers that were very strong on the 1vs1.

And so on. Seeing these different styles clash was interesting. But now, Portugal, France, England, etc, all play the same. Who wins or loses is just a matter of details. Whoever makes less mistakes defending usually wins.

There is no clash of footballing philosophies/schools anymore. It's just gray everywhere.

I personally hate what Pep has done to football. Can’t argue with the results but I’ll barely watch city if they on. Grealish was one of my favourite players style wise before pep coached all the natural instinct out of him. 

11 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I personally hate what Pep has done to football. Can’t argue with the results but I’ll barely watch city if they on. Grealish was one of my favourite players style wise before pep coached all the natural instinct out of him. 

Guardiola will answer for his crimes in The Hague one day. Pure football terrorism 

16 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I quite enjoyed watching his Barcelona side I must admit.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I quite enjoyed watching his Barcelona side I must admit.

Yeah they were good and had more freedom I think. His current City style is hateful to me. I barely watch them. Don Carlo is one of the few left who just let players express themselves. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah they were good and had more freedom I think. His current City style is hateful to me. I barely watch them. Don Carlo is one of the few left who just let players express themselves. 

Seems like the only player Guardiola allows to still retain some of his freedom and spark is Bernardo. And even him is way more rigid than he used to be, as he's also constantly obsessed about not losing the ball and disorganize the team.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz