Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

39 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Based on the media reports this morning, I’d be amazed if the 3 of them are still here by January.(I don’t mean all 3 will be gone, but I think at least one will)

Which 3 are we talking. Sorry I couldn't be arsed to read that caulkin article on the other page as I have work on Monday 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

To be very frank I think I’ll piece this together myself, most reporting on us are client journalists pushing certain agendas. Caulkin in particular. 

Aye, agreed.  I read Hope’s article and it’s an assassination of Eales like :)

Caulkin and Hope always seemed to be closer to Staveley and Ghoudoussi than any other journalist.  If they feel they’ve been pushed out, there’s a good chance that some briefing has taken place to client journalists …

23 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Yep Fair Questions, he was brought in to do a job and so far hasn't delivered but as others say its early days. We also have no idea of what actually went on behind the scenes so to say"As pointless as he is bald. Get to fuck - just another shill." is bit daft.

I am however fucking astounded that we couldn't find a better RW that Miggy/Murphy.

I don’t think anybody can satisfactorily answer the question “what does Paul Mitchell bring to NUFC?” - his arrival has resulted in a net negative for the club. In my view, that currently makes him unwelcome. I don’t trust his or Eales’ intentions. His purpose is to improve the playing side of things, ultimately. He’s set that back by not improving the squad while competitors have improved and by unsettling a very popular and talented manager. More people should be concerned about Mitchell remaining in post in my view.

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

100%.  While I still back Howe, even he doesn’t come out of this smelling of roses.  Sounds like there’s a lot of petty ego-driven power-play shite going on, and some of it just sounds like basic incompetence.  Mitchell sounds like he may be a bit of an arrogant bloke based on that article, but it would Eales who would be the one who worries me - I’m afraid I don’t hold his time at Atlanta as proof of his being an elite level football executive.  Maybe he’ll prove to be that, but I’ll happily write off the MLS as meaningless when it comes to the pressures of running a big English club.  Howe and Mitchell would walk into another top job at a top half PL club if they left NUFC.  I can’t say I think that re Eales.

I can’t even dismiss it as I’d trust Caulkin and Waugh to actually be diligent - they’re not sensationalist hacks, they never struck me as the sort who produce copy to just to create headlines.

Feels like the season starts now, tbh.  The celebrations after the Forest game have given me hope that despite everything the dressing room (including the management) remains united.  Hopefully the players haven’t been too unsettled and get on with it.  

Yeah my hope is we avoid any serious injuries, show some proper team spirit that was evident at the end of the Forest game get Botman back then strengthen in Jan after a solid 1st half of the season. That gives the second half of the season a totally different look and feel. 

My worry is a few key injuries and a destabilising summer from the window and players like Gordon possibly having their heads turned. 

A result against spurs with a radged up St James would help a lot

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah my hope is we avoid any serious injuries, show some proper team spirit that was evident at the end of the Forest game get Botman back then strengthen in Jan after a solid 1st half of the season. That gives the second half of the season a totally different look and feel. 

My worry is a few key injuries and a destabilising summer from the window and players like Gordon possibly having their heads turned. 

A result against spurs with a radged up St James would help a lot

Aye, a positive way to look at the shambles is that it might leave us in a position to strengthen in January - something we definitely could have done with during the injury crisis in January gone.

I’m trying to be ‘glass half full’, but bloody hell this club doesn’t make that easy :) 

All in not well and I believe Eales has been the destabilising influence. Howe clearly doesn’t trust him and that’s a major problem. Sadly it’s usually the manager that gives way in the end, but it’s hard to see how the current situation continues. 

I do partly blame PIF in this. I understand the politics, but this is their club and they decide the operating model. They should be taking a more hands on approach, both internally and with external influences / stakeholders like the PL. 

It's way too early to draw any conclusions. He is a pro and so is Howe, so I don't see any reason why they won't be able to get a successful system in place. 

Still doesn't mean every window will be great and we'll get every target, or they'll agree every time. 

Howe isn't someone who will resign because PSR limits our budget, therefore I would assume he'll be willing to work with someone who can help to build the shortlist and bring players into the discussion. 

If you were happy when Mitchell was appointed then it's too early to change your view IMO. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would it be good or bad in our circumstances?

For the manager to be sacked? Bad, but every club sacks mangers and I don't know if the Southampton decision was good or not. 

Not sure what your point is. 

Sounds good to me, he identified that a far superior manager was available and willing to come and made a decision that worked out fantastic for the club. Since there aren't that many managers in the world that are far better than Howe, I'm not too worried about that scenario.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

For the manager to be sacked? Bad, but every club sacks mangers and I don't know if the Southampton decision was good or not. 

Not sure what your point is. 

Was just thinking out loud more than anything.

I guess the point is that Mitchell (if it was his decision) isn't adverse to making unpopular decisions to bring in his choice. Adkins wasn't sacked for poor performances or results and the fans and media were in uproar when it happened. 

Just now, Nobody said:

Sounds good to me, he identified that a far superior manager was available and willing to come and made a decision that worked out fantastic for the club. Since there aren't that many managers in the world that are far better than Howe, I'm not too worried about that scenario.

That's a hmmmmmmmmmm from me like. :lol:

Not sure we all share that view.

I absolutely loathe to say this mind and I’m sure I’m going to get stick for this but maybe, just maybe Howe isn’t the right manager for a DOF led recruitment strategy. 

Not advocating for him to go or anything like that but to me it’s crystal clear they have a lot to figure out because what has transpired this window is absolutely unacceptable. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

I absolutely loathe to say this mind and I’m sure I’m going to get stick for this but maybe, just maybe Howe isn’t the right manager for a DOF led recruitment strategy. 

Not advocating for him to go or anything like that but to me it’s crystal clear they have a lot to figure out because what has transpired this window is absolutely unacceptable. 

While this is possible, Howe is young and very intelligent. Football is going a certain way and I don't see him being someone who'll cut his nose off to spite his face. I'd expect him to take the option of learning how to work in the new environment. 

He always says he relies on coaching a lot more than recruitment. 

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That's a hmmmmmmmmmm from me like. :lol:

Not sure we all share that view.

I do, I can't think of a single manager bar Pep, that i'd want over Howe at this point. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

While this is possible, Howe is young and very intelligent. Football is going a certain way and I don't see him being someone who'll cut his nose off to spite his face. I'd expect him to take the option of learning how to work in the new environment. 

He always says he relies on coaching a lot more than recruitment. 

Absolutely all of what you’ve said is true however it does appear we are now reaching a stage whereby cracks have emerged in the model. If your Eddie Howe you must feel a type of way about your decreasing influence, he’s a human and nobody likes to have that removed. 

In terms of this coaching first comment, coaching can only take you far unfortunately imagine trying to coax top 4 on that alone, it isn’t happening I’m afraid. 

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely all of what you’ve said is true however it does appear we are now reaching a stage whereby cracks have emerged in the model. If your Eddie Howe you must feel a type of way about your decreasing influence, he’s a human and nobody likes to have that removed. 

In terms of this coaching first comment, coaching can only take you far unfortunately imagine trying to coax top 4 on that alone, it isn’t happening I’m afraid. 

My assumption is that the model isn't really in place yet. 

The second part isn't what I meant. I meant that if Howe doesn't have as much control over recruitment as he would ideally want, he has total control over his preferred activity (coaching). 

If you asked any manager if they want total power over everything, I'm sure they would mostly say they do. but most of the modern ones are clever enough to work in a new model. I don't think there are many, if any, elite sports club where the first-team manager is all-powerful over the organisation. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo