Quarter Finals: England (5p)1-1(3) Switzerland, Netherlands 2-1 Turkey

Disco

Any excuse to share highlights of one of my favourite games of all time. Still remember being sat watching it with my dad to this day…

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Any excuse to share highlights of one of my favourite games of all time. Still remember being sat watching it with my dad to this day…

I wasn't born yet, but that was a very important tournament at the time as it represented the return of the Portuguese NT to big stages, 18 years later after 1966's magnificent run. One interesting detail about that tournament is that Portugal actually had 4 main coaches. And Chalana in the wing, what a masterclass... Also, that game started a streak of losses against France, most importantly in 2000 and 2006, that would only end with the 2016's final.

2 years later we qualified again to the World Cup, but that time the story would be vastly different, with the NT players starting a strike on training, on TV, after winning 1-0 against England the first game. They were complaining about game prizes not being paid. They lost the next two games against vastly inferior teams. The "Saltillo Drama" it was called: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltillo_Affair

It would take 10 more years for us to be back in 1996 and, apart from 1998, we didn't fail a big tournament since.

I must say that personally I haven't been as much detached from the NT as I am today, mostly because of all this nonsense cult around Ronaldo. Still hoping that Ronnie will score an hat-trick tonight.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Also forgot to add I always thought the lad in the crowd (14 seconds and 4mins.24 seconds) might have been Jean-Pierre Papin! :lol:

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Also forgot to add I always thought the lad in the crowd (14 seconds and 4mins.24 seconds) might have been Jean-Pierre Papin! :lol:

I just noticed that England did not qualify. That's strange.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Been walking around in 41C heat all day so cant wait for an ice cold pint and to watch the game. Fancy Spain 2-1.

The way Spain have been playing it could be a lot more.

Then again Germany aren't Albania or Georgia.

Drab 0-0 and penalties it is then! ☺️

Edited by Joe1984