Semi Finals: France 1-2 Spain, England 2-1 Netherlands

Disco

I have a feeling England are going to do it.

Objectively, Spain have been the best side in the tournament by a distance and are rightfully favourites.

Being difficult to beat, good mentality and luck count for a lot though. It helped Greece upset Portugal, Portugal upset and France and sides like Liverpool take down the great Milan team of the naughties. We've seen it so many times.

On paper Spain should win, but my gut is saying England will.

50 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I have a feeling England are going to do it.

Objectively, Spain have been the best side in the tournament by a distance and are rightfully favourites.

Being difficult to beat, good mentality and luck count for a lot though. It helped Greece upset Portugal, Portugal upset and France and sides like Liverpool take down the great Milan team of the naughties. We've seen it so many times.

On paper Spain should win, but my gut is saying England will.

More to do with their keeper being allowed 6 years off his line for all of Milan's penalties than anything......

I think England will do it as well, @The Prophet. The football hasn't been the best, but like you say, they essentially find a way to progress. The football isn't pretty, but Southgate has really galvanized this squad and the will of the players to win is very impressive. Probably Southgate's best asset, plus he does a good job of deflecting criticism from the players and taking the heat for lacklustre performances.

For Spain to win they will have to win outright, if it goes to pens I think England will win. Never thought I'd hear myself saying that, but we looked incredibly confident against Switzerland. Spain have played by far the best football in the tournament though, and they've had to beat all the good teams, so if they win as expected, they'll deserve it.

Part of the glory of being an England fan is the absolute prime saltiness from basically everyone who doesn't support us. The tears that will be fought back if we win on Sunday.

It just makes it that little bit sweeter that the entirety of Europe and most of the world (aside from maybe Portugal) will be wanting a Spanish victory on Sunday evening. 

I've been mega critical of Southgate, the formation, two DMs, Trent/Gallagher, Harry Kane being everywhere but up front, the poor performances, the lack of change/subs and low xG of the first four games.

Mainoo has been a huge improvement, he really is tricky and glues defence and attack well. Nimble and uses ball well. The switch to 3421 is better but it's still clunky... but the Swiss result and performance was directionally better. Pens were 🔥, so good confidence for how it ended.

Dutch was massive test and step up, but we found our best overall performance. Kane first half was far more central, and despite the good Dutch goal early, I thought we smartly overwhelmed them for large spells. Pen was soft but still a pen for me, if anything not a yellow. Great pen from Kane. I was worried going in to second half we didn't capitalise on the chances and get the second goal. 

Second half we slumped and by 60th minute Kane was finished, those around him looking tired and leggy. I asked for Watkins on for Kane, and Saka/Foden for Palmer. I've been banging on about freshening up our attack around 70th minute nearly every game. We got the changes 80th minute and I'm still overjoyed at that goal from Watkins. Nice pass from Palmer, but to get a yard on the defender and fire it right in the far bottom corner from there with that angle was very special.

So Southgate deserves praise. Best performance of tournament, momentum building, penalty confidence and maybe, just maybe, signs of braver earlier subs if needed.

Spain should win, they've played best football and looked so slick. However, the way it's going with us improving at this stage then who knows what Sunday will bring. We've got better at the right moment and found away in many games it felt we couldn't.

12 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Part of the glory of being an England fan is the absolute prime saltiness from basically everyone who doesn't support us. The tears that will be fought back if we win on Sunday.

It just makes it that little bit sweeter that the entirety of Europe and most of the world (aside from maybe Portugal) will be wanting a Spanish victory on Sunday evening. 

I shouldn’t have been, but I was genuinely surprised at the vitriol after the game Wednesday night. I mean, I get why (and just look at every Eurovision vote) but Reddit -for example - was just bonkers. I felt like a Sith Lord feeding off the hate :lol:

On 10/07/2024 at 22:12, KaKa said:

My feeling at the start of the tournament was that if he made the final, he would end up staying on, as the FA will beg him to, because it's just easier for them.

Be interesting to see if that's what happens.

So predictable :lol:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/07/11/england-keep-gareth-southgate-win-lose-euro-2024-final/

Edited by KaKa

15 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

To be fair the way the fans go on it's easy to see why they are despised so much , they remind me of Man United and Liverpool fans but without actually winning anything to back up the arrogance and sense of entitlement.

3 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I shouldn’t have been, but I was genuinely surprised at the vitriol after the game Wednesday night. I mean, I get why (and just look at every Eurovision vote) but Reddit -for example - was just bonkers. I felt like a Sith Lord feeding off the hate :lol:

You should try sending good songs more often and not just cry that everyone hates you. :lol: That one space guy did well recently.

My hate is purely for Southgate’s tactics and how people lap it up when the results are there. Can anyone imagine giving praise to Howe (or Ange) for a match where the team tried their first shot of the half when the added time was about to start? 

1 hour ago, Pata said:

You should try sending good songs more often and not just cry that everyone hates you. :lol: That one space guy did well recently.

My hate is purely for Southgate’s tactics and how people lap it up when the results are there. Can anyone imagine giving praise to Howe (or Ange) for a match where the team tried their first shot of the half when the added time was about to start? 

I said I was surprised, not unhappy :lol:. Feeding off the hate like a Sith Lord should have given that away. It was hilarious.

The better team undoubtedly won, but annoying that we had them under pressue after the equaliser but lacked belief.....I think we ended up going back to the keeper from an attacking freekick.