Manchester United (H)- Pre match thread

Newcastle Fan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Judging by Roeder quotes sounds like Nicky Butt will play alongside Steven Taylor this added with having both Duff and N'Zogbia injured gives us a fantastic chance to play Dyer through the middle bombing on from central midfielder which in my opinion is his best position, Scott Parker has a big job on protecting the back four for this one and will have break up play and also come over to make two up against one when either one of Man United wingers are attacking our full backs.

Given

Solano   Taylor     Butt     Huntington

---------------Parker---------------

Milner      Dyer      Emre

Sibierski

Martins

Subs Carrol, Luque, Pattison, Edger, Krul

Prediction Newcastle United 1 v 1 Manchester United Rooney, Martins

Why not put Huntington in the centre? And get someone else such as Parker to play left back?

That team you've drawn looks incredibly unbalanced. I would put Huntington centre, Parker LB and bring Luque in to the left-wing. Or if Luque isn't an option (Roeder) then put Milner left, Dyer right and Sibs up front. At least that way only one of our players is out of position.

put Milner left, Dyer right and Sibs up front. At least that way only one of our players is out of position.

Yeah I think its likely Roeder will start that midfield. Dyer--Parker--Emre--Milner

however i want to see Dyer causing problems through central midfield with his pace and movement he could be picked out by Emre passing from the Left and Solano passing from right back (ala like the move when Dyer went on to get the penalty against Everton) and he could bounce off Sibierski hold up play as a (link striker) also Martins would benefit from this also.

Some experience will be needed, I don't know much about Edgar so it'll be interesting to see whether or not Roeder has enough faith in him to select him for this match.

Given

Solano, Taylor, Huntington, Parker

Milner, Butt, Emre, Sibierski

Dyer, Martins

I don't for a moment believe Roeder will select this team. Such is his obsession with selecting Parker in CM he will probably put his name down first and fill the rest in from there. I would put the really important players down first ( Butt, Emre, Dyer, Martins) and in their strongest roles and build it from there. Although obviously well out of position I'd expect both Parker and Sibierski to have enough discipline to maintain these roles and give the team some balance and shape, which will be vital in this game. I won't expect much attacking flair down our left of course, it's more a containment thing with those two players. Everyone else is in a role for which they're well suited, so if the two players out of position are good enough pro's we should be able to maintain that team balance and shape when we don't have the ball, which will be often today.

In reality though I expect to see Butt at CB and Emre wide left. Butt may be ok as a stopgap at CB but this would leave Parker for the CM and that weakens the team by a massive amount imo. Also, when Emre is out wide left he's proven he doesn't have the discipline to maintain that role, so we'll be wide open down that side if he's used there. The same goes for Dyer, if he is used wide left he'll be all over the show.  Even if we're generally outplayed and have trouble with possession we must have some kind of attacking threat to at least give them something to worry about, hence I'd go with the pace of Dyer and Martins up front, hopefully dragging their defenders around a bit.

I expect Roeder to put out something like this:

Given

Solano, Taylor, Butt, Huntington

Milner, Parker, Dyer, Emre

Sibierski, Martins

Which of course keeps the headless chicken Parker in CM and as I've said, we'll be wide open down our left flank and have no shape when we lose the ball.

Just my opinion and an explanation of "why".

2 potential back 4's, 3 midfielders in there :s

Not very fan-like of me but I don't know if i'll even bother listening to the match today....I fear the worst, a true collapse but I dearly hope I'm wrong.

Just when you think things couldn't get worse in terms of injuries theres usually a nice surprise waiting soon, all the players know how decimated we are and they may just raise their games a whole lot more and get something from the game.

Heres hoping, I'll say a 1-1 draw  bluewink.gif

By the way, Happy New Year Newcastle-Online mr2j.gif :alchy:

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

New year, same old nonsense.

Would you rather put Parker at left back or Butt in central defence? It's one or the other.

Personally I'd put Parker there and have a proper centre half in the centre, Huntington. Then I'd put Butt in his proper position protecting them. This idea of sticking Hunty out left and Butt in the centre is mental. If we play that we are asking for a beating, it's totally unbalanced.

I've got a feeling Roeder will do it though. I also think he'll totally bottle it and play 4-5-1, inviting Man Utd at us.

I would go 4-4-2 with everyone in their correct position except for Parker at left back, and have a real go at them. I think attacking them and unsettling them is the only way we will get anything out of this game, we simply don't have the defenders to play catenaccio.

Some experience will be needed, I don't know much about Edgar so it'll be interesting to see whether or not Roeder has enough faith in him to select him for this match.

Given

Dyer, Martins

I don't for a moment believe Roeder will select this team. Such is his obsession with selecting Parker in CM he will probably put his name down first and fill the rest in from there. I would put the really important players down first ( Butt, Emre, Dyer, Martins) and in their strongest roles and build it from there. Although obviously well out of position I'd expect both Parker and Sibierski to have enough discipline to maintain these roles and give the team some balance and shape, which will be vital in this game. I won't expect much attacking flair down our left of course, it's more a containment thing with those two players. Everyone else is in a role for which they're well suited, so if the two players out of position are good enough pro's we should be able to maintain that team balance and shape when we don't have the ball, which will be often today.

In reality though I expect to see Butt at CB and Emre wide left. Butt may be ok as a stopgap at CB but this would leave Parker for the CM and that weakens the team by a massive amount imo. Also, when Emre is out wide left he's proven he doesn't have the discipline to maintain that role, so we'll be wide open down that side if he's used there. The same goes for Dyer, if he is used wide left he'll be all over the show.  Even if we're generally outplayed and have trouble with possession we must have some kind of attacking threat to at least give them something to worry about, hence I'd go with the pace of Dyer and Martins up front, hopefully dragging their defenders around a bit.

Given

Sibierski, Martins

Which of course keeps the headless chicken Parker in CM and as I've said, we'll be wide open down our left flank and have no shape when we lose the ball.

Your point?

Given

Dyer, Martins

Given

Sibierski, Martins

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

New year, same old nonsense.

Criticism but no supporting comment to make it worth anything. You really do contribute nothing to this forum.

I'm not the only one who can think beyond the obvious by the way.....

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,34590.120.html

Given

Dyer, Martins

Given

Sibierski, Martins

Your point?

We clearly don't have enough defenders.

Given

Dyer, Martins

Given

Sibierski, Martins

Your point?

Aye, I agree. That's because they're injured. We don't have enough strikers even if Owen wasn't injured. Get it? If Martins is injured.....

Given

Dyer, Martins

Given

Sibierski, Martins

Your point?

Aye, I agree. That's because they're injured. We don't have enough strikers even if Owen wasn't injured. Get it? If Martins is injured.....

er yes we would. If Owen was fit and Martins was injured we could play Dyer or Sibierski and Owen, that would be a lot better than anything we put together at the back!

Given

Dyer, Martins

Given

Sibierski, Martins

Your point?

er yes we would. If Owen was fit and Martins was injured we could play Dyer or Sibierski and Owen, that would be a lot better than anything we put together at the back!

But Owen isn't fit and the scenario that's under 'discussion' is what happens if Martin's is injured.......  :roll:

The Teams:

Newcastle United: Shay Given, Nolberto Solano, David Edgar, Steven Taylor, Paul Huntington, Kieron Dyer, Scott Parker, Emre, James Milner, Antoine Sibierski, Obafemi Martins.

Subs: Pavel Srnicek, Albert Luque, Matty Pattison, Alan O'Brien, Andy Carroll.

Manchester United: Edwin Van Der Sar, Gary Neville, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Cristiano Ronaldo, Darren Fletcher, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha.

Subs: Tom Heaton, John O'Shea, Ji-Sung Park, Babriel Heinze, Michael Carrick.

so we're playing:

Given

Solano  Taylor  Huntington  Edgar

Milner  Parker  Emre  Dyer

Martins  Sibierski

at a guess

Given

Dyer, Martins

Given

Sibierski, Martins

Your point?

But Owen isn't fit and the scenario that's under 'discussion' is what happens if Martin's is injured.......  :roll:

Sorry its the way you worded the post. Again I have never said we don't need a new striker but we have more quality up front than we do at the back.  (ie Taylor is our only real quality attacking player but we have Dyer and Martins upfront) I know you will say Dyer isnt an attacker but he has more attacking quality than any of our defenders have defensive quality!