Manchester United (H)- Pre match thread

Newcastle Fan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No offence to Huntington or Edgar but the fact that we are here at New Years with reserve teenagers Huntington and/or Edgar set to square off against Rooney, Ronaldo etc. is a f***ing ridiculous state of affairs for a Premiership club.  It's bad enough that wasters like Carr and Babayaro are first choice, but the fact that we bought absolutely NO COVER this summer does not reflect well on the club.  They dug this f***ing hole and if we get twatted tomorrow they should take the blame along with the players.  This is what happens when you piss away a transfer window looking for a striker and ignore the fact that our defence is - on its very best day - average.

Some experience will be needed, I don't know much about Edgar so it'll be interesting to see whether or not Roeder has enough faith in him to select him for this match.

Given

Solano, Taylor, Huntington, Parker

Milner, Butt, Emre, Sibierski

Dyer, Martins

I don't for a moment believe Roeder will select this team. Such is his obsession with selecting Parker in CM he will probably put his name down first and fill the rest in from there. I would put the really important players down first ( Butt, Emre, Dyer, Martins) and in their strongest roles and build it from there. Although obviously well out of position I'd expect both Parker and Sibierski to have enough discipline to maintain these roles and give the team some balance and shape, which will be vital in this game. I won't expect much attacking flair down our left of course, it's more a containment thing with those two players. Everyone else is in a role for which they're well suited, so if the two players out of position are good enough pro's we should be able to maintain that team balance and shape when we don't have the ball, which will be often today.

In reality though I expect to see Butt at CB and Emre wide left. Butt may be ok as a stopgap at CB but this would leave Parker for the CM and that weakens the team by a massive amount imo. Also, when Emre is out wide left he's proven he doesn't have the discipline to maintain that role, so we'll be wide open down that side if he's used there. The same goes for Dyer, if he is used wide left he'll be all over the show.  Even if we're generally outplayed and have trouble with possession we must have some kind of attacking threat to at least give them something to worry about, hence I'd go with the pace of Dyer and Martins up front, hopefully dragging their defenders around a bit.

I expect Roeder to put out something like this:

Given

Solano, Taylor, Butt, Huntington

Milner, Parker, Dyer, Emre

Sibierski, Martins

Which of course keeps the headless chicken Parker in CM and as I've said, we'll be wide open down our left flank and have no shape when we lose the ball.

Just my opinion and an explanation of "why".

Guest Phil K

Depends who Butt decides to play for today, doesnt it ?

That disgraceful semi-final finished him with us until his resurgence recently.

But all the good work will be for nothing - the calls from fans for him to be named captain, for instance - will disappear in a puff of smoke if he decides to be Man U's 12th man against our 10 as in the semi (the applauding of Man U's fans whilst ignoring us helped a little though)

Personally though, I dont think they'll need a saboteur in our midst to win comfortably.

The damage of two atrocious away performances (due in no small part to the idiotic inclusion of Pav the not even non-league standard in the first game) have buggered up our hopes and the confidence of players who HAD been playing reasonably well and seemingly beginning to gel.

yay I'll be watching it live in oz on cable. Looks like I'll be late to work :D

I think if the toon can hold out first half without conceding, then ManU will hopefully get fustrated, leaving a window of oprtunity to take some points. Otherwise its gonna be a long night. :(

Guest BooBoo

Some experience will be needed, I don't know much about Edgar so it'll be interesting to see whether or not Roeder has enough faith in him to select him for this match.

Given

Solano, Taylor, Huntington, Parker

Milner, Butt, Emre, Sibierski

Dyer, Martins

I don't for a moment believe Roeder will select this team. Such is his obsession with selecting Parker in CM he will probably put his name down first and fill the rest in from there. I would put the really important players down first ( Butt, Emre, Dyer, Martins) and in their strongest roles and build it from there. Although obviously well out of position I'd expect both Parker and Sibierski to have enough discipline to maintain these roles and give the team some balance and shape, which will be vital in this game. I won't expect much attacking flair down our left of course, it's more a containment thing with those two players. Everyone else is in a role for which they're well suited, so if the two players out of position are good enough pro's we should be able to maintain that team balance and shape when we don't have the ball, which will be often today.

In reality though I expect to see Butt at CB and Emre wide left. Butt may be ok as a stopgap at CB but this would leave Parker for the CM and that weakens the team by a massive amount imo. Also, when Emre is out wide left he's proven he doesn't have the discipline to maintain that role, so we'll be wide open down that side if he's used there. The same goes for Dyer, if he is used wide left he'll be all over the show.  Even if we're generally outplayed and have trouble with possession we must have some kind of attacking threat to at least give them something to worry about, hence I'd go with the pace of Dyer and Martins up front, hopefully dragging their defenders around a bit.

I expect Roeder to put out something like this:

Given

Solano, Taylor, Butt, Huntington

Milner, Parker, Dyer, Emre

Sibierski, Martins

Which of course keeps the headless chicken Parker in CM and as I've said, we'll be wide open down our left flank and have no shape when we lose the ball.

Just my opinion and an explanation of "why".

bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif

New year, same old nonsense.

I'm optimistic that we hold on for a draw - Butt man of the match! blueeek.gif

Sibierski and Ronaldo - 1.1

Ganna put 20p on it! :cool:

Actually.... for those who are sure we are going to get a thrashing, Betfair are offering 13/8 for Man U.  I would have expected less generous odds to be honest.  Easy money?

Given

Solano      Taylor                  Edgar    Huntington

Butt

Milner        Parker      Emre

Dyer

Martins

this is what i wud do

Given

Solano      Taylor                  Edgar    Huntington

Butt

Milner        Parker      Emre

Dyer